Thread: Where can I wear mermaid tails?

Junior Member Euro Pod

Where can I wear mermaid tails?

Hi merpeople! Other than the beach, I was wondering if anybody knows any pools in Scotland, mainly the Elgin/Aberdeen area? I am in the middle of finding out if my local pool will let me but I would like to know if any other pools allow mermaid tails. Thanks!
    Scottish Mergirl

I love Scotland's waves and caves, with their myths of kelpies, serpents, selkies, and mermaids

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Your best bet, is to ring them all up, so you have some choices to go to, if there is an event of some kind at your fave one.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Euro Pod selkie13's Avatar

Where can I wear mermaid tails?

Your local pool won't let you if it is run by the council. They brought out new health and safety this year that doesn't even let you use a monofin anymore. However you could try hotel pools and other non council run ones.

I'm from the Angus area. I know the pain of finding a pool well. I'm half debating ringing my local-ish park that does water sports to see if they will let me swim in my tail once it's made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in west dunbartonshire, the vale of leven swimming pool allows me to swim for £6 an hour in a private lane. I believe you have to hire a private lane in order to bend the 'rules'. I'll happily share if anyone wants to have a meet up sometime this summer.

Ah, my pool doesn't let me do that.

I emailed the council directly. maybe that's why? I can send you a copy of the message I sent?

Junior Member Euro Pod
    I am still waiting for a reply from my local pool, hope they let me! If they don't I'll just have to find a non-council pool.
    Scottish Mergirl

I love Scotland's waves and caves, with their myths of kelpies, serpents, selkies, and mermaids

I wouldn't get my hopes to high for the council I'm still waiting on a reply. Hate to be the rain cloud here, but it's true sadly

Some of y'all should have a photo shoot in the fairy pools!
    ive always wanted to do that.
    Mermaid Enora

I definitely will be, I have been dreaming about it since I found out about mermaiding

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Junior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Orcinus's Avatar
    Edinburgh, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Hi there
    I use pay as you gym and found various hotel pools, one of which got back to me. So I managed to use my mono fin for the first time. The pool was not deep, but warm and nice. Have not gone in in the tail yet, wanted to see if I would drown or not in the fin

Local councel here in Edinburgh does not allow Mono-fins and Virgin do not allow them either.

Junior Member Euro Pod
    I emailed my local pool but they said that rules wouldn't allow it in council pools! I looked and the rules said that things such as monofins are allowed but only if the Community Leisure Officer says so. What does that mean? Does Elgin allow it? Does anybody know any private pools in Aberdeenshire to Elgin area that do allow it?
    http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/recr...ulesA3_002.pdf - Aberdeenshire rules
    Scottish Mergirl

Junior Member Euro Pod SingingSelkie's Avatar
    Love to know if any of you managed to find regular places to swim?
    ~•Mermaid In Training•~
    My avatar and profile picture is "The Mermaid" by John William Waterhouse 1901.

Junior Member Euro Pod SingingSelkie's Avatar
    So I contacted my local live active centre here in Scotland via email and they replied
    We wouldn't allow a monofin in a public session but as you have mentioned we would be able to hire a lane (or 2 depending on the size of the fin). We have had 'mermaids' in the pool before and have a risk assessment for those so I would imagine it would be similiar. You can call us for more details if you wish
    So I was very excited about this. I have yet to find out how much it is to hire a lane but I'm glad there is somewhere so close to practice and possibly in the future use a mertail.
    ~•Mermaid In Training•~
    My avatar and profile picture is "The Mermaid" by John William Waterhouse 1901.

Senior Member Euro Pod Astridia's Avatar
    Had this conversation with my local pool's lifeguard this morning while i was scoping out my "extremely" local pool (not even a 5 min walk) they allow fins if it is super quiet, they allow pretty much anything if you book the lane, and they have a swim rescue class that predominantly uses monofins in their exercises. So i'm looking into that. I would love to book a lane but feel it would be better with a small group of mers rather than just a me...