Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Malinghi's silicone tailmaking thread

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar

Malinghi's silicone tailmaking thread

I have huge news everybody! I'm going to make a silicone tail! By which I mean, I JUST FINISHED MAKING A SILICONE TAIL!

Sorry for not making a thread about it as I went. The reason I didn't make one was because I was kinda superstitious about publicly telling people about the project. I constantly questioned whether I would finish the project and was afraid that if I made a progress thread it would ultimately become a lasting monument to an incomplete tail. Now that it's complete I'm not worried about that anymore.

The project actually started over a year ago, when Mermaid Anita and I began experimenting with silicone. We did design work, stocked up on supplies, and practiced working with various materials intermittently throughout 2014. The actual construction of the tail took place almost entirely within the last two months. In early May I made a tailmaking pact with Wes. We were both trying to make silicone tails and wanted to make more progress, so we agreed to dedicate extensive time to our respective projects and give each other help and encouragement.

Here is a link to her awesome tailmaking thread, by the way: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...re-with-Wesley

Anyway, I've been working on the tail obsessively for the last two months with the goal of finishing in time for the Pacific Coast Mermaid Festival. With help from Anita and Wes I finished just in time! Here's a photo with Mermaid Opal:

Name:  11111169_1640666482886729_3108944749847312718_n.jpg
Views: 2584
Size:  109.8 KB

So now that the tail is done I'm thinking I'll retroactively make a thread and post photos and info about it in chronological order. This serves the dual purposes of letting me fish for compliments, and more importantly allowing me to share my experiences with making a silicone tail in the hope that someone might find my tailmaking thread half as useful as all of the tailmaking threads I depended on throughout this process. Seriously, I just want to thank all of you guys, cause there's no way I could have done this without all the info everyone has shared online.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    NIce!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Exciting!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    That's AWESOME Malinghi! How big a nightmare was the seaming process?

The seaming was difficult and really stressful for me, but I think that was mostly because I'd never done it before. Otherwise it probably wasn't any harder than seaming any other silicone tail. Having the sides colored black was nice cause it covered up the fact that I didn't line the scales up at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Damn Malinghi... You are one sexy merman

Congrats for your tail. You look amazing and dashing in it

OH YOU!

What to do with you, Malinghi?

You're officially my new merman crush lol

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Wow! What a big fluke!

Yo know what they say about guys with big flukes, right?

Your fears were certainly unfounded, Malinghi, 'cuz your first silicone creation looks amazing! So organic and believable.

Mermaid Galene (pronounced Guh-LEE-nee)

Mermaid Galene WebNeptune's Keep WebFacebookMG YouTubeNK YouTubeEtsy Shop

Neptune's Keep makes music with fish. Fish have hidden depths!

That looks awesome! I love the realistic color scheme! I'd definitely love to see pictures of your process!

Quote Originally Posted by Theobromine View Post
    That looks awesome! I love the realistic color scheme! I'd definitely love to see pictures of your process!
    Don't worry, I took photos throughout the process and will post them in this thread.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    It is really exciting. I've known you so long! So nice to see you realize this dream!

OMG! Malinghi, so proud of you! Great job on the tail!

Senior Member Pod of Cali mermaidopal's Avatar
    Follow mermaidopal On Twitter Add mermaidopal on Facebook
    That's me in the pic and I can verify Malinghi's tail is awesome! It looks very professional especially for a first attempt. I personally love the scales and big fluke and he was the star of the show at the Mermaid/Pirate Festival! lol the kids loved it

Thanks guys!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Ashton's Avatar
    Add Ashton on Facebook Add Ashton on Google+
    Follow Ashton on Tumblr Visit Ashton's Youtube Channel
    Looks great!!!

Senior Member Pod of Texas
    Pod of Cali
    Saw his tail at Pirate and Mermaid Invasion and it is truly awesome. I love the natural coloring and shading and in person it had a neat translucency in the grey color that made it even cooler looking. I was blown away he had constructed it himself; it's a great tail. Can't wait to see Wes finish hers too!

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod Dreamie's Avatar
    Awesome job! I was so busy at the event I never got to go over and see the tails.... though my booth was officially named "most comfortable spot at the festival" my Caribbean Pearl. I didn't even have time to check her tail out, and she was INSIDE my booth! *Headdesk*

~Dreamie~
    Facebook Fanpage:
    http://www.facebook.com/dreamiewood

Senior Member Pod of Cali Meronica's Avatar
    Add Meronica on Facebook
    I saw your tail in person (and molested the fluke when you weren't looking MWAHAHA) at the Pirate Invasion. It looks really, really good. Can't wait to see Wesley's too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk