Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite fish?

What is your favorite fish?

My favorite is the black carp, because they always used to swim up to the docks and "greet" me when I used to go to the lake. They're so friendly! :P They usually came up to the docks 3 at a time, which makes me curious why. I think lake fish are my favorite.

But anyway, just interested to see what y'alls favorite type of fish is and why. Do most of you prefer tropical fish over freshwater?

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Follow Rioraptor On Twitter
    Oh! Some of my favourite fish to see are clown triggerfish, cause they look so silly and cute underwater. I also love seeing cowfish, and boxfish, because they look like they teeter-totter while they swim. Tropical fish seem more colourful to me, but then again I don't have much experience with freshwater fish

Senior Member Pod of The South Marlin's Avatar
    Add Marlin on Facebook
    Even mermaids need tech support.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Elodea the Mermaid's Avatar
    Mandarinfish because of their cute widdle faces and rainbow trout because I'm more of a mountain mer, haha.

Elodea Nymphaea Waterweed
    of The Sacramento Mermaids

Oh that is so hard for me to choose. I am definitely more drawn to salt water fish. There are so many that I like. My hubby and I have a salt water tank and every fish we have had seems to really have quite the personality. We have a very sweet Tang named Sunny, and 2 clownfish named Flotsam and Jetsom. We have a couple of other fish right now also, but I cant think of what kind they are. Blennies seem to always be fun to watch.
    As far as wild out in the ocean sort of fish, I love sharks, octopi, jellyfish, rays and seahorses.
    Mermaid Aine ​(pronounced Anya)
    of The Mermaids of the Great Salt Lake
    And you sang "Sail to me, Sail to me, Let me enfold you, Here I am, Here I am
    Waiting to hold you"
    Song to the Siren-Jeff Buckley
    https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thismemaidsjourney
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAine
    http://mermaidsofgsl.wixsite.com/mermaids
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidaine

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    ^^ just for the record; octopus and jellies are NOT fish.

I don't really have a preference, but large, fast fish like marlin and barracuda are totally cool.
    So are rays. Whale and basking and frilled shark.
    Also, I feel a kinship with eels
    Freshwater...pikes and catfish, probably.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Blue ringed octopus. Nobody wants to touch those or say hello!

Oh fish... Fish... Fish... Fish...
    Basking Shark! I have always wondered at their prehistoric origins. If they are huge now, did they start out as tiny sharks or where they the size of 6 storey buildings?
    Formerly known as ireneho

I love the Mola mola (ocean sunfish)… I'd love to swim with one someday. I also really like goldfish, they're so darn cute.
    Find me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and my WEBSITE
    Formerly known as Madison Juliette

These r all great fish!!! Btw does anyone else think octopi and some jellyfish look the same in a way? I never really made the connection..

I love the mola mola but I don't see why its called the "sun"fish...it doesn't look like the sun. it needs to be yellow. wah. lol

I think my top favorite might be sturgeon, but it varies. I've always loved arowana and arapaima, or at least since Amazon Trail introduced me to them. Koi, no surprise there. Basically anything that grows to be big and fat (and huggable looking) like some of the larger catfish and groupers.

Let's see, what else? So many fishes I love. Lungfishes, mud skippers, rainbow trout, pelican eels, hagfish (not actually fish), guppies, and of course coelacanths. I think that covers them all, but I'll probably remember something else later. I love fish so much.

Fancy a cup of mermaid tea?

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    ^^ just for the record; octopus and jellies are NOT fish.

I don't really have a preference, but large, fast fish like marlin and barracuda are totally cool.
    So are rays. Whale and basking and frilled shark.
    Also, I feel a kinship with eels
    Freshwater...pikes and catfish, probably.
    I figured someone would call me out on it. Whales and dolphins aren't technically fish either, but they all kind of get lumped together, so yeah, I cheated and lumped jellies and octopi in there. I love eels too! And sea snakes!
    Mermaid Aine ​(pronounced Anya)
    of The Mermaids of the Great Salt Lake
    And you sang "Sail to me, Sail to me, Let me enfold you, Here I am, Here I am
    Waiting to hold you"
    Song to the Siren-Jeff Buckley
    https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thismemaidsjourney
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAine
    http://mermaidsofgsl.wixsite.com/mermaids
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidaine

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MadisonMermaid View Post
    I love the Mola mola (ocean sunfish)…
    Don't forget the moonfish!
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    I love Mandarin Gobies, goldfish and bettas

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I forget what they're called but they look like little catfish. They have thick orange and black stripes, and you keep them in aquariums and they are bottom feeders. My brother had a pair of them when they had the aquarium. One had a smaller fin on one side and we called it, Gimpy.
    Formerly known as ireneho

I like lots of tropical fish, but I am particularly fond of any deep sea (dark zone) fish that bioluminesce. The firefly squid, shrimp, and glowing jellies are my favorite sea creatures (I know they are not fish.) Most fish that bioluminesce in the darks zone have hideous teeth and faces like the viper fish. Still their tails are quite pretty. Blue Viper fish are the color and light inspiration for my first tail.
    You are never alone.
    There are about
    7,266,786,800 people in the world.
    So mathematically speaking,
    Even if your are one in a million there are still about
    72,667 people who are just like you.

Senior Member Pod of Cali introverting's Avatar
    Add introverting on Facebook
    Follow introverting on Tumblr Visit introverting's Youtube Channel
    I like cuttlefish. They're so smart and cute c:

Senior Member Pod of Cali introverting's Avatar
    Add introverting on Facebook
    Follow introverting on Tumblr Visit introverting's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by introverting View Post
    I like cuttlefish. They're so smart and cute c:
    idk if that counts tho, lol.

I forgot about the cuttlefish. I think they count. Their color changing ability is Amazing!
    You are never alone.
    There are about
    7,266,786,800 people in the world.
    So mathematically speaking,
    Even if your are one in a million there are still about
    72,667 people who are just like you.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mary Marine's Avatar
    I had a tiger oscar as a kid we named Bitey. He was awesome, but eventually he got too big for his tank and we gave him to a guy with a huge aquarium set up.

Plecostomus are also pretty cool. My elementary school library had a huge aquarium with the biggest one I've ever seen. He was probably twice as old as I was.

Nautilus! Living freakin' fossils! Too bad the demand for their shells is depleting the population.

Anal toothed sea cucumber. It's a sea cucumber with teeth in it's butt to prevent fish from taking up residence in their rectums. Evolution, man.

Moray eel. There is one at the Dallas World Aquarium who likes to have the inside of his mouth scratched. The aquarium worker just stuck his arm in the tank and they eel swam over and started rubbing on his arm like a big goofy cat.
    Last edited by Mary Marine; 07-10-2015 at 12:09 PM.
    "I must be a mermaid. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living." — Anaīs Nin

Wow, that anal toothed sea cucumber though... I could make a couple jokes but theres younger people on these forums

Well my favorite fish would have to be sharks. Any kind, really. They're just so beautiful and fascinating, and some are like little puppies when you pet them haha!
    Rays, as well. Mantas and stingrays are beautiful as well. I was at Long Beach aquarium just a few days ago and I was blown away by the size of a ray in the shark tank. I had no idea they grew to be that big. I thought it was a manta ray at first, but this was just a monstrously huge stingray. He had to have been at least ten feet in diameter.
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani