Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I messed up..

I messed up..

So I was at a public pool by myself and managed to get in the tail with no issues. I had a lot of kids that were aware of the fact "I wasn't real, I was like the ones on YouTube" but one little girl believed. It got late and I had to get back. I waited until the little girl and her mom went to the bathroom to slip out, but as I was walking (hard to hide the monofin, even with my towel) she caught me. /:
    How can I prevent this? I'm usually by myself with these ordeals.
    Sorry if this kinda thing has been asked.
    Formerly known as Lorelei Mae

Use the selkie. story.
    they have seal skin tails to slip in and out of. Maybe you can add to it and be like you're a subspecies of selkie.
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Arella's Avatar
    Follow Arella On Twitter Add Arella on Facebook
    If it's a public venue and a non-pro event and you can't control the circumstances there's always the option of being honest that you are just pretending, that would help avoid broken hearts.

I usually have a bag I put my tail in, and tell them that whenever I wear a magical amulet I get legs BUT if they do see the tail I say I shed it when I get legs like how a snake sheds their skin (or selkie)
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    it happens to all of us sorry

My story: my grandmother was a mermaid who married a human, so I'm 1/4 mermaid & only have a tail 3 months out of the year. This is my costume tail - I'm saving my tail days for when I'm on vacation.
    Ifthereismagiconthisplanet,itiscontainedinwater.
    - Loren Eisley

Yeah, my story is my dads a merman and my mums a human, so I can transform between a mermaid and human and I have a special necklace that I never take off (I've had it for over 4 years now and have taken it off only 6 times, for random important things). If a kid sees my tail I tell them I shed it and it's magic. Most of the time they get it, some are like oo can I feel. But I've also walked by and they ask me if I saw the mermaid that went by a little bit ago, with my tail sticking up out of the wagon, and they don't connect the dots. Be nice, be encouraging, and you'll get caught, but you'll be fine. You'll usually know what's called for in the moment, whether it's a keep my secret the pirates are coming, or just a shhh and a wink.

I love you guys! Thank you for the reassurance
    Formerly known as Lorelei Mae

Senior Member Pod of Texas Merman Lir's Avatar
    I had my first public mer appearance at a local pool safety day. no place to change. I got around it in two ways. 1. there were other mers there so i had a diversion. and 2. I used a long towel to cover my whole tail (even the fluke) like I was drying myself off. then i slipped out of the waist under the towel (I was sitting on a stool) and slid the body of the tail down my legs slowly and carefully, so the tail all stayed under the towel. when my feet were free I sort of rolled the towel up with the tail inside and folded a second towel around the fluke to carry it to my car. If they saw me with legs, it's magic! (as long as they don't see the disembodied tail )

I like the magical necklace story personally. There is also always the logic in Splash, you only have a tail when you're in water. Once you dry off it changes back to legs. Although I can totally see kids splashing your legs for proof... :/

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Koi_Mermaid View Post
    I like the magical necklace story personally. There is also always the logic in Splash, you only have a tail when you're in water. Once you dry off it changes back to legs. Although I can totally see kids splashing your legs for proof... :/
    Yeah, kids would do that lol. Wouldn't you be tempted? I'd just say that doesn't work. I have to be completely submerged in water for the fins to grow back...otherwise if it happened on land it could be dangerous!

Chris, I love that you took the time to cover up while changing, hide the tail, and not spoil the magic for the kids! You're a Prince.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Edwards View Post
    I had my first public mer appearance at a local pool safety day. no place to change. I got around it in two ways. 1. there were other mers there so i had a diversion. and 2. I used a long towel to cover my whole tail (even the fluke) like I was drying myself off. then i slipped out of the waist under the towel (I was sitting on a stool) and slid the body of the tail down my legs slowly and carefully, so the tail all stayed under the towel. when my feet were free I sort of rolled the towel up with the tail inside and folded a second towel around the fluke to carry it to my car. If they saw me with legs, it's magic! (as long as they don't see the disembodied tail )
    THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I DO
    Facebook.com/mermaid.brynley
    Insta: @mermaidbrynley
    Twitter.com/mermaidbrynley
    tumblr.com/mermaidbrynley