Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mer-Friends

Mer-Friends

So I'm not the best at putting myself out there or making friends or starting conversations, I'm an introvert is typically perfectly happy to stay in my little bubble of solitude. So this is my attempt at being social and starting a conversation. If anyone wants to talk about anything, weather to rant about your problems (I have a lot of experience with helping people with their problems), talk about the good, random ideas or thoughts I would love to hear them and have a conversation... about anything really

Feel free toe message me on here, facebook or email me (mermaidsirena@ymail.com)

~ Facebook ~ Youtube ~ Model Mayhem

Need a logo? Website? Business Card? Or anything else?
    "You are anything but ordinary, why look it?" E-mail or message me.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania happyguava's Avatar
    I'm pretty introverted too, Sirena! I also suck at getting to know people. *thinks of something to have a conversation about*

Senior Member Pod of Cali Neria's Avatar
    Same here, if you notice I only done about 12 posts I am actually on here almost everyday but I hardly ever post anything and I am really more of a lurker.

Sooooo, what do you guys think about kittens? Pretty cute if you ask me.

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Kitten are cute?! Don't you think that's a little too controversial?!

Anyway, I'm glad you guys are stepping outside your comfort zone. By the way, I'm surprised to learn that you guys are shy. How come? You guys seem like you'd be pretty good at socializing.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    I don't know about you guys, but I feel like any time I try to get out there and talk to people I say something stupid that gets on people's nerves or something...

Maybe it's due to inexperience with dealing with people outside of necessity or something but I'm really awkward around people.
    I think I'd rather talk to you guys sometimes though. I don't feel like I'm going to be bowled over

Also, for those of us who are late on some Christmas gifts, how to gift wrap a cat.

Senior Member Pod of The South
    I think you just need to put yourself into a profession that MAKES you social. I use to be the quietest, shyest person until about a year ago. I reeeeeeally needed a job, and there was this company hiring where you make balloon animals for kids in restaurants. However, you obviously have to approach people, say hello, and chat up a storm with all the different families while you create whatever it was you were making, so they specifically put on there that you must be a social person.

Well, I really really needed work, and I'm one of those who could probably bluff my way into any position (though I'd only do that if I knew for sure that I can actually do the job), so when they asked about my being social, I TOTALLY lied on that, but I got the job. At first it was SOOOOO weird, and I felt so strange and uncomfortable just going up to people and talking >.< FF about a month, it just kind of settled in and became a new natural state for me. Now even when I'm not at work, when I'm out and in a line somewhere, standing by those people talking so loudly you swear they are trying to have the whole facility know what's going on, if it is a topic I have something to say about and I think my comment might possibly be a decent contribution to their thoughts, I just say it. Now I'm one of those kinds of people, lol. Must make note to self to never go to Germany now.

But yes, point being, I trained myself to become a social person because of what I do for a living. So you could very well turn yourself un-shy, too

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Miel's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Miel's Youtube Channel
    I'm the strangest mer in that I'm my most social around stranger's kids... It sounds creepy, but it's just that I can talk/relate to children better than people in my own age-range. This might be because I'm 26 and still interested in playing dress-ups, barbies, myChild baby dolls, My Little Pony and mermaids. All the other girls in my age-range seem to be interested in going out to noisy clubs, imbibing dangerous amounts of alcohol and chatting up strangers in the hope of finding true-love. I found mine by attending Borders bookshop dressed as tinkerbell one Halloween. He thought I was as cute as a Celebi. I have two cats, a overly affectionate lady named Tiger and an Independant athletic girl named Precious.
    Last edited by Mermaid Miel; 12-29-2011 at 09:57 PM.

I do a lot of Fake it till you make it and I don't have a problem with kids, I love kids around them I can almost relax and just have fun. Except I'm always petrified of their parents throwing a hissy fit over something that didn't even happen.

I do tend to feel strange a lot of it is I'm always worried about how people are judging me as in RL just about the only thing I have, when it comes to making new friends is my reputation/how people perceive me.

@SireniaSolaris That's an idea and I've been working on putting myself in more social situations but then I run into the problem where I'm a listener and I tend to have my words be more quality over quantity. I'm much better then what I was though which is great progress! I think that's what this mermaiding is helping me do though as it's putting me in new situations with lots of new people.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    I am shy as well...When people say something I just blush and have an akward smile burst across my face. I guess I get it from my dad, he doesn't like to talk to people either :P
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

I'm 28, married and havn't any friends I had lots in high school but when we went to different colleges and I got married, we lost touch, part of me didn't really mind, I was so sick of all the friend bitching and drama, everyone was so 2 faced! So I was quite happy with me and my hubby just being a two-some but sometimes I do wish I could have someone to chat to or share things with, like others here, people my own age aren't into the same things as me, they're all into clubbing and drinking, I don't smoke or drink and I much prefer a nice coffee shop to a pub or club any day!

I've been encountering a similar problem myself in real life with people my age wanting to drink and party and all that 'fun' stuff. I don't see anything wrong with it I just don't enjoy it myself.

^exactly imat that age where people should be out there having fun drinking partying etc,

But im more of a big kid and pretty shy, at least till i am comfortable and ill open up. I dont smoke at all (never have and never will) I rarely ever drink and im not much of a clubbing girl. I didint do any clubbing in my late teens-mid 20s.Im much more of a calm person, who'd rather go out and be adventurous in nature than in drinks or other. I have friends but its a small close group of us. But I mostly keep to myself..

Unlike my Mersona- where in tail im interactive and outspoken.

Quote Originally Posted by ShyMer View Post
    for those of us who are late on some Christmas gifts, how to gift wrap a cat.
    Very cute! But I like how not to wrap a cat even better!
    Ifthereismagiconthisplanet,itiscontainedinwater.
    - Loren Eisley

I don't smoke or drink and I much prefer a nice coffee shop to a pub or club any day!
    I've been encountering a similar problem myself in real life with people my age wanting to drink and party and all that 'fun' stuff. I don't see anything wrong with it I just don't enjoy it myself.
    I'm getting better at being social and meeting new people. One of the tricks is just to be really tenacious. I have a self imposed rule where I'm not allowed to turn down any opportunity to hang out with people unless it requires an unreasonable sacrifice of time or money. I can turn things down cause I need to study, or its a long drive, or I'd have to pay admission or something. But I can't use excuses like not being in the mood, or wanting to watch TV, or the fact that its raining, or I won't know anyone at the event.

Incidentally, I actually went to a chess club this evening. I'm not even very good at chess. The club meets to play chess every other week at a local bar/restaurant and some people have drinks, but I don't drink while playing chess- I need all the help I can get.

Also, for meeting new friends, I use couchsurfing and okcupid. They're very useful for getting introduced to new people.

I love chess! I used to beat my math teacher and all the boys in my grade. Silly boys, no offense, but I used the same tactic every time and only lost three times
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

I love chess, there has only ben two games of note in my life. 1 - I beat a friend of mine in 3 moves, and 2 - I beat my day once

I beat my day once
    I'm guessing this was "dad"

Oops yes dad ^_^

Does anyone play scramble? Ill play you.
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

Scramble?