I apologize if this doesn't belong here, but I searched and couldn't find a dedicated mersona thread that was active, so I thought I'd just start one for myself.

I'm still very much in the planning/development stages of becoming a mermaid, figured I should wait until after I have my baby to start on a tail since I anticipate my shape changing quite a bit over the next several months...

"Celaeno is a 1920's-style mermaid who actually began as a witch. She enjoyed transforming into fish and going for swims, but she wasn't a very skilled witch back then, and one day she got stuck half-way through the transformation. She's just glad she didn't start head-first that day! She spent her early mermaid days travelling with a circus sideshow, playing the ukulele and singing when she wasn't swimming. Though her skills have developed enough to allow her to transform back into her fully-human form, Celaeno has discovered that she likes her hybrid form and prefers it to others she's assumed."

I made a digital mock-up of a basic look:

Name:  celaeno half size.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  323.8 KB

My first tale will be fabric, based on a black betta with handpainted accents in blue, teal, and gold. I want to add some very flowy/frilly iridescent chiffon accent fins. I don't think I'll be actually starting on the tail until after winter, so Celaeno probably won't make her official debut until next spring/summer, but I plan to work on smaller projects like blinged-out goggles, scaled tops, and accessories between now and then, and collect materials for the tail along the way so it's not a giant chunk of change in one go.

I've been voraciously reading the tailmaking threads and you are all some seriously impressive and inventive merfolk! There's so much wisdom and inspiration to be gleaned, I feel like I'm drowning in it!