Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Captive Marine Animals

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel

Captive Marine Animals

There are still too many, yet all I ever see are petitions and awareness for orcas.

I never see Belugas mentioned, which are a threatened species, especially now as Shell has obtained all permissions to drill and do seismic crap in the Arctic, right through Beluga, Bowhead, Grey and Finwhale territory.

There are captive Belugas all over the world crammed into tiny aquariums- Georgia, Vancouver, Russia, and of course Seaworld.
    I would like to see more people engaged in this, but it's as if everyone is stuck in a "FreeWilly!" capsule and doesn't care for the other species.

The Georgia Aquarium regularly aquires freshly captured Belugas from the wild, even though they cannot keep their erstwhile prisoners alive for very long.

This has to stop!
    There are more species than just orcas that need to be saved from scrupulous businesses.

Echidna, you and I have such similar views on so many issues. You truly are a mermaid after my own heart
    Follow me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kae-Le...53963584623799

Check out my writing on FictionPress, which has so far received more than 12,000 hits from 88 countries and territories on 6 continents!
    http://www.fictionpress.com/u/729633/Kae_Leah_W

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I follow all the main pages on Fb and they all post about belugas. The orca project, blackfish, the dolphin project, sea shepherd, the cove etc. I've been bombarded with the news of the death of the baby captive beluga

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Cruelty of captivity aside, around 500 belugas are killed every year in Alaska and about 1000 (!) in Canada.

No one knows whether these numbers are sufficient to wipe out the species, but the issue is tiptoed around (as native hunters are involved).
    It wouldn't have been a problem either, but during the whaling craze, millions of whales of all species were killed.

So due to industrial greed, it now boils down to: tribes preserving their culture, and: another extinct species.

(That said, I once saw a documentary about Inuit exercising their ancient polar bear hunting ritual, which consisted of... driving with a motorized snowbike and shooting the bear with a modern hunting rifle.
    So, excuse me if I don't put too much value on "preserving ancient cultural techniques"...)

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Yeah the Inuit hunt all the animals up north whales included, and eat them all. And studies have been done that it doesn't negatively effect any of the species. I know cuz seans bro in law just finished one on the polar bears about to be published in tandem with others. With Inuit its not preserving culture. It is a case of the majority of the people are starving. One of the few groups left on Earth who can truley say that. When I'm back from gigs I'll be happy to post loads of links and citations. I took two courses on it

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Fair enough.
    People living in the arctic really have no choice but to hunt and eat what they catch.
    No one would demand they starve themselves.

It becomes a problem when the starving is due to uncontrolled population growth, though.
    Nature is a delicate balance, always has been.
    The environment can only bear a certain number of predators.
    If the predators overpopulate their region, they will wipe out their prey and subsequently starve themselves.

Everyone understands that (see all the wonderful "culling is necessary, so is sterilization" info), but as soon as humans are involved, the concept is abandoned.

I'm not saying this has to be the case with Inuit, I'm sure you know much more about them than I do,
    but it's what you can see happening all over the rest of the globe:
    humans multiply uncontrollably, run out of food, starve, complain, hunt and kill more animals, more species go extinct, rinse and repeat.
    It's a vicious cycle that never stops, because too few people seem to be capable of birth control.