Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Mermaid LaNyah Tail review

Senior Member Pod of Texas Merman Lir's Avatar

Mermaid LaNyah Tail review

I just received (last night) my tail made by Mermaid LaNyah (Samantha Conrad). I initially found her on ebay, when i stumbled across her add for a custom tail. The images were familiar, in fact I recognized a tail worn by Mermaid Shannon. I found her on Mernetwork and e-mailed her to verify that the e-bay tail seller was in fact her and to ask about her tail making experience (how many she has made, does she use silicone, can she add fins, etc). The e-bay seller was legit, so we started tail pricing at that base (a discount from her normal prices)... I told her what I wanted, and sent pictures and we worked out the details. I wanted a tail based on the color of the royal tang, but I wasn't super picky on matching the fin shapes exactly. This helped because she let me choose from fin molds she already had, thus saving the cost of re-molding a new fin. She was very hands on and communicated excellently. every e-mail i sent was answered in a day or less. She told me that there was a delay while she was out of town but quoted me a time frame of 8-10 weeks. (including the delay). the tail was delivered in just over 6 weeks. Obviously, this won't always be the case, but it was a nice surprise. Especially since I have a swimming gig this weekend for which I can use this tail!

Anyway, she offered me a choice of monofin (either a finis shooter or a dolphin fin by another brand, basically the same size and shape as the competitor). at my request, she even provided the tracking number for the monofin, so I could see when it got to her.

Then she began building. she sent me color samples before she began painting, and sent in progress pics as well.

Results: The colors are exactly what I expected, and reflect my vision well. the blended waist is a nice touch and the tail has powermesh embedded for strength. The fit is excellent, and I don't see any flaws.

The seams aren't exactly smooth or invisible like some of the more expensive tailmakers, but they are well placed and entirely within the darkest color areas so they are unobtrusive enough for me. the fins are sturdy and solid. drainage holes in the end of the fluke are very subtle, hidden on the bottom seam.

I haven't swum in it yet, but I will appendix my review this weekend.

attached are in progress pics, color samples she e-mailed and just before shipping images. Name:  lanyah colors.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  77.3 KBName:  lanyah in progress.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  58.0 KBName:  lanyah dorsal.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  43.0 KBName:  lanyah front.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  57.5 KB

The silicone looks a bit thin in photos, how thick do you estimate it to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Yulia View Post
    The silicone looks a bit thin in photos, how thick do you estimate it to be?
    not sure what you mean, it's quite thick.

The width of the silicone scale-sheet.

the scale texture is only the surface, it's backed by powermesh and more silicone, i'd estimate it as about 3/16" thick. I can measure thickness if I remember when i get home later.

Nice! I hit up the eBay deal a few months ago and I've had a similar experience: great to work with, and the color swatches were perfect. Should have progress pics soon, and really excited to see. I think LaNyah is going to be the one to watch for the rest of the year and into the 2016 season.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by OrcaMatt View Post
    Nice! I hit up the eBay deal a few months ago and I've had a similar experience: great to work with, and the color swatches were perfect. Should have progress pics soon, and really excited to see. I think LaNyah is going to be the one to watch for the rest of the year and into the 2016 season.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    awesome! and how funny to get two merMEN in a row. I imagine tailmakers are always doing girls' tails. post pics soon as you can!

follow up, now that I have swum in the tail:

It swims beautifully, the fluke is floppier than the merfin in my homemade tail, looks great feels different to swim in. It is a little easier to flip up for pictures, although i am still going to work on building up strength for swimming and posing in tail. The waist is a little loose, the powermesh embedded does not go all the way to the top of the tail, which allows the top to stretch more than the rest of the tail, leaving a waist gap. <this is not a big deal really, since basically all tails have some gapping. I'll just have to make a cool merman belt to help keep it closed. the only other problem is that the foot pockets are a little big, so my feet were slipping around and gave me a not-insignificant blister. This is obviously not LaNyah's fault, of course! Some neoprene socks to snug it up should be all i need.

Not bad! I don't live too too far from there

Banned
    Follow MermaidShannon On Twitter
    I am in love with it!!! Awesome! I love my LaNyah tail too!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk