Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Just a few tail making questions :)

Just a few tail making questions :)

1. On the pattern how much should I add for seam allowance?
    2. How far off the pattern should I sew?
    3. If using slip casting how much latex is usually needed for a basic tail?
    4. How much thickener should I add to the slip cast latex?
    5. If using slip casting is the method for making the tail the same as if you were using Alex?
    6. Does anyone know a good supplier for an air brush and compressor?
    Thanks!!!!!

#1. With neoprene you can forget a seam allowance unless you are serging. The material can be glued together with contact cement. If gluing, you can then hand sew the seam with a blind stitch. (stitch only goes thru one side of the material, not all the way thru)

#5. It should be similar. Do a saturation coat, thin smooth coat of thickened, then scale coat. Make sure the nylon on the neoprene is saturated in the first coat in both ALEX and latex tails. If the nylon doesn't get saturated first, water can get behind the latex and destroy the bond. This is what happened to Raven's ALEX tail with the whitening and cracking problem. Water damage is a problem with all latex.

#6. Check Ebay or Craigslist for a Paache VL airbrush and compressor. I've seen one with a 2 stage compressor for $60, which is a steal! The compressor in that deal was $300 new and the airbrush averages $80-120. So check there first before going to a hobby shop.

Thank you very much!