Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: A Christian Merfolk Fellowship Thread

Joie,
    I think a thread that can help is this one:
    https://mernetwork.com/index/showthr...questions+kids

They have lots of questions kids have asked them, and it might be insightful as to what obstacles kids will throw at you!
    That's how I learned to agree that I am a mermaid, but am not magic and the like. : )

And you're very right with the whole people believe what they want to!
    It's made me realize that it's no sin or stumbling block to dress up as a mermaid as long as I am truthful to those who ask. But it is ultimately either a parent's decision or the adult's decision to believe what they want to believe.
    <3
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

DeviantART || Tumblr || Instagram

Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Bree's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Bree on Facebook
    Curiously, the unicorn was used as one of the 'secret' symbols of the early church. It alludes to the uniqueness among other things. Unicorns (as typically depicted) do not exist either - that does NOT mean we have to abandon any sort of interest or appreciation of such. Perhaps a way to open the 'door' is to allude to ALL G_d's creatures, creatures of the sea. That perhaps you are an 'ambassador' for them? Psychologically, maybe infer that we ALL can be what we want to be what Nature WANTS us to be... And that for example, the little ones can be 'ambassadors' too. And regarding 'spells', etc, gently channel that back around to what NATURE want's them to be?

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Joie View Post
    0_0 What the crap???? I didn't know they had a thread too... That is weird that we were just talking about that....
    So... you can see there are a variety of beliefs and intents in the mercommunity....

***this is not intended to harass other merfolk for their beliefs but rather to point out in any large community you will have a broad mix of beliefs***

Disclaimer: I don't believe it is ever ok to harass someone for their beliefs even if I don't agree with them. I am very much against the type of Christian that just runs around yelling at people telling them they are going to hell. That is not the intent of this post. And that is not the way to convert anyone or exemplify Christ's love. I strive to exemplify the qualities and values of Christ, share his love, and speak the truth to others. I believe that following Christ is a personal choice that someone makes when they are well informed and have the desire to accept him. You cannot scare anyone into becoming a Christian and that is just plain wrong. A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still."- Benjamin Franklin.

Ok now that I have hopefully avoided any online fighting.

My point is that, this kind of reinforces what my bible study leader was saying. That people were already in to witchcraft and paganism before they got into mermaiding and will use that to spread their beliefs just like we want to spread Christianity.
    I still haven't figured out what to say to kids... Perhaps I will talk to my neighbor's daughter having an actual conversation with a kid will provide more perspective. I encourage all of you to do the same.

Tell me what you think.

Sent from my VS988 using MerNetwork mobile app
    Yet still, your wording, and that big "WHAAAA?" is the same as throwing stones. Whether we choose to dress up as creatures of fantasy or not, we ARE all still humans, with all of the diversity that the human species comes with. We all have different beliefs, and religion, ANY religion, is a personal choice, and should never be forced upon or proselytized to anyone. And actually, I find anyone actually using mermaiding (which is a form of entertainment, either personal or professional), to spread religion, is yet another form of hypocrisy that is very very wrong. Your allusion to pagan "intent" is extremely biased and incorrect. People are what they are. And no pagan ever went anywhere trying to sell their religion to anyone.

***Admins*** I propose that MerNetwork being what it is, perhaps specifically incendiary topics of religion/spirituality, politics, and sex/sexuality should be taken elsewhere. I for one, will not be part of any group that actually embraces this kind of abject bigotry.

Sent from my SM-N910H using Tapatalk

I am sorry, that was intended as my reaction. You are right that does sound off. I think if you read my post you can see that is not my intent and it wasn't addressed to you. Thought is hard to see people's hearts and their expressiveness online so I understand how it could come off that way. I really and truely did not mean to upset you. Perhaps stuff like this is better discussed in private conversation where it can be read in context.

You are never alone.
    There are about
    7,266,786,800 people in the world.
    So mathematically speaking,
    Even if your are one in a million there are still about
    72,667 people who are just like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Bree View Post
    Curiously, the unicorn was used as one of the 'secret' symbols of the early church. It alludes to the uniqueness among other things. Unicorns (as typically depicted) do not exist either - that does NOT mean we have to abandon any sort of interest or appreciation of such. Perhaps a way to open the 'door' is to allude to ALL G_d's creatures, creatures of the sea. That perhaps you are an 'ambassador' for them? Psychologically, maybe infer that we ALL can be what we want to be what Nature WANTS us to be... And that for example, the little ones can be 'ambassadors' too. And regarding 'spells', etc, gently channel that back around to what NATURE want's them to be?
    That is very interesting about the unicorn I will have to look that up.

You are never alone.
    There are about

Let's lighten up a bit guys.

You are never alone.
    There are about

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)

Visit Mermaid_Izzy's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by lotusauriel View Post
    Yet still, your wording, and that big "WHAAAA?" is the same as throwing stones. Whether we choose to dress up as creatures of fantasy or not, we ARE all still humans, with all of the diversity that the human species comes with. We all have different beliefs, and religion, ANY religion, is a personal choice, and should never be forced upon or proselytized to anyone. And actually, I find anyone actually using mermaiding (which is a form of entertainment, either personal or professional), to spread religion, is yet another form of hypocrisy that is very very wrong. Your allusion to pagan "intent" is extremely biased and incorrect. People are what they are. And no pagan ever went anywhere trying to sell their religion to anyone.

***Admins*** I propose that MerNetwork being what it is, perhaps specifically incendiary topics of religion/spirituality, politics, and sex/sexuality should be taken elsewhere. I for one, will not be part of any group that actually embraces this kind of abject bigotry.

I have to agree with MerGreg. I understand the Pagan/Witchcraft Thread was brought up in our conversation, but it was only as we were discussing a matter amongst ourselves. It was never intended to offend anyone. I also understand you have listed your religion as Pagan, which I assume your comment here was led by the photo of the thread.

I would like to say that this is a Christian Mer Thread. Therefore as Christians we are called by the God to go into the world and proclaim his gospel. To me, and I am sure basically every else here can agree, we want to give our whole life to God. So if we refrained from telling the truth in our tail (a part of our life) about the love of Jesus Christ, then we wouldn't be true to God or fulfilling our beliefs.

Sent from my ShellPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Izzy View Post
    I have to agree with MerGreg. I understand the Pagan/Witchcraft Thread was brought up in our conversation, but it was only as we were discussing a matter amongst ourselves. It was never intended to offend anyone. I also understand you have listed your religion as Pagan, which I assume your comment here was led by the photo of the thread.

I would like to say that this is a Christian Mer Thread. Therefore as Christians we are called by the God to go into the world and proclaim his gospel. To me, and I am sure basically every else here can agree, we want to give our whole life to God. So if we refrained from telling the truth in our tail (a part of our life) about the love of Jesus Christ, then we wouldn't be true to God or fulfilling our beliefs.

Thank you Mermaid Izzy! The photo showing up in people's feeds was also my reason for the seemingly irrelvent meme. I did that so something else will show up in people's threads but I am not sure if that actually worked or not.

I will take down the original photo if it upsets Mers, but if the Admins need to look at anything it is going to be hard to figure out what people are talking about. Again my intention in posting the photos was to point out the diversity of beliefs amongst merfolk and the sperateness of those beliefs from tail use. I will try to be more tactful in the future.

I am a very expressive bubbly person, but that doesn't always translate well online. So I can see where she is coming from.
    I will be happy to apologize and correct my posts if I have broken any Mernetwork rules.

Last edited by Mermaid Joie; 08-08-2017 at 10:42 AM.
    You are never alone.
    There are about

I would really like to get back to the original discussion which started on page 19.

Last edited by Mermaid Joie; 08-08-2017 at 10:23 AM.
    You are never alone.
    There are about

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)

Visit Mermaid_Izzy's Youtube Channel
    I would really like to get back to the original discussion which started on page 19.

I agree.

Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Bree's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Bree on Facebook
    [QUOTE=Mermaid Joie;283883]That is very interesting about the unicorn I will have to look that up.

http://www.catholic-saints.info/cath...ian-symbol.htm

I know you want to get back into the discussion I began on page 19, but I must say something.
    I do apologize in advance, as I know nobody is liking this argument.

Lotus, We did not go out and attack anyone.
    Joie, you were just proving your point that it's not wearing the tail that makes the difference, it's how you use it. Like a weapon, of sorts! By referencing a thread that had a recent post and was bumped to the top of the page, it is your right to say anything about it, because it is made public. If someone posted something, such as a thread, and didn't want anyone else commenting on it, as long as it was not harassment, then it should not be on the internet, a PUBLIC place to speak whatever you want to say and be heard. Nothing you said, Joie, struck me as an attack.

If I am not allowed to educate people about my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in a group meant for people who all mermaid WITH A PURPOSE, whether spiritual or non-spiritual, then this is not the site for me and I will found a new site that is more inclusive than this one! I will proudly proclaim His name no matter what I do - mermaiding, art, any job really. Being a mermaid is inspiring others to follow your cause. Some represent the gays, some represent ocean conservation, and some, like myself, represent God and His love. What is wrong with that? Who are you to judge a person's motives? The only exception is if someone uses a mermaid tail for supporting aggressive causes, such as justifying murder or something crazy like that. Which, in all honesty, I don't think would go far, mermaid or not.
    Nobody here has thrown stones or hated on anyone except you. Even if she were to say that Paganism is a sin, IT'S HER OPINION. Has she specifically targeted anyone and said "they need to die because they practice magic"? No!
    Joie doesn't need to be attacked for speaking her mind and trying to help me better understand my convictions, as everyone is diverse and thinks differently. She doesn't seem like a person that intentionally goes out to attack people, as all I've gotten from her is a sweet and considerate woman that is trying to help a community out with her thoughts and opinions.

And thank you, Mermaid Izzy and MerGreg, for uplifting Joie. I'm tired of seeing hate and drama, and I'm glad people still care about one another.
    I'm sorry, Joie, for starting this. I did not know that you'd be attacked for trying to help me make sense of the whole Christian mermaid thing.

God did command us to love one another and to forgive, so I forgive you, Lotus, for wrongfully calling us bigots and showing an intense despise towards us. I understand that you may have misconstrued Joie's message, but I'm sure you know by now that none of us had any malicious intent. God loves everyone, and as his servant I also do the same. So, peace be with you and I'll be praying for you!
    <3
    <hr><hr>

Okay, so, back on topic.
    I do have a second question that I will post under this one, as this is getting kinda long.
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

I've tried looking for how the unicorn was used but I didn't come up with anything conclusive.
    Though, it still might be different.

Using a symbol is very much different than becoming a mythical creature.
    Not many people dress up as unicorns and prance around, singing hymns, y'know?
    I just find it weird...

Quote Originally Posted by Rebela Hunter View Post
    I know you want to get back into the discussion I began on page 19, but I must say something.
    I do apologize in advance, as I know nobody is liking this argument.

Lotus, We did not go out and attack anyone.
    Joie, you were just proving your point that it's not wearing the tail that makes the difference, it's how you use it. Like a weapon, of sorts! By referencing a thread that had a recent post and was bumped to the top of the page, it is your right to say anything about it, because it is made public. If someone posted something, such as a thread, and didn't want anyone else commenting on it, as long as it was not harassment, then it should not be on the internet, a PUBLIC place to speak whatever you want to say and be heard. Nothing you said, Joie, struck me as an attack.

If I am not allowed to educate people about my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in a group meant for people who all mermaid WITH A PURPOSE, whether spiritual or non-spiritual, then this is not the site for me and I will found a new site that is more inclusive than this one! I will proudly proclaim His name no matter what I do - mermaiding, art, any job really. Being a mermaid is inspiring others to follow your cause. Some represent the gays, some represent ocean conservation, and some, like myself, represent God and His love. What is wrong with that? Who are you to judge a person's motives? The only exception is if someone uses a mermaid tail for supporting aggressive causes, such as justifying murder or something crazy like that. Which, in all honesty, I don't think would go far, mermaid or not.
    Nobody here has thrown stones or hated on anyone except you. Even if she were to say that Paganism is a sin, IT'S HER OPINION. Has she specifically targeted anyone and said "they need to die because they practice magic"? No!
    Joie doesn't need to be attacked for speaking her mind and trying to help me better understand my convictions, as everyone is diverse and thinks differently. She doesn't seem like a person that intentionally goes out to attack people, as all I've gotten from her is a sweet and considerate woman that is trying to help a community out with her thoughts and opinions.

And thank you, Mermaid Izzy and MerGreg, for uplifting Joie. I'm tired of seeing hate and drama, and I'm glad people still care about one another.
    I'm sorry, Joie, for starting this. I did not know that you'd be attacked for trying to help me make sense of the whole Christian mermaid thing.

God did command us to love one another and to forgive, so I forgive you, Lotus, for wrongfully calling us bigots and showing an intense despise towards us. I understand that you may have misconstrued Joie's message, but I'm sure you know by now that none of us had any malicious intent. God loves everyone, and as his servant I also do the same. So, peace be with you and I'll be praying for you!
    <3
    <hr><hr>

Okay, so, back on topic.
    I do have a second question that I will post under this one, as this is getting kinda long.
    I have not said anything else. I did not attack anyone. I did not throw stones. But thanks for keeping this going and using my statements against me. But no. You are obviously not attacking anyone.... right. The fact that your religion tries to force itself on others that believe differently, and not allow people their own choice and free will IS harmful. For what it's worth, my point was that ALL religios discussion is subjective. Including mine. I think some things should be left for private discussion to avoid exactly THIS situation. Thanks.

Again, I'm sorry you feel that way, Lotus!
    You obviously haven't read the Bible in the slightest! I'd suggest studying it yourself, or googling specific things to get verses on them. It might help you understand what a true servant of Christ is commanded to do.
    If someone is forcing 'Christianity' down your throat, then they are wrong for bullying you into something you're not personally ready for yet. It has been proven that a person can't change their mind unless they make the choice to change it! The more someone forces it, the more it just doesn't click.
    God gave us all free will, so it is ultimately up to the person themselves to accept God or not.

All we can do, as Christians, is educate!

I am absolutely not having this discussion. I am perfectly happy with my spirituality and my gods. And they are fine with me. Don't you dare preach to me, or assume anything about what I have or have not done, or learned. THIS IS the problem I have with your religion. Everyone but you is just wrong. Do not speak to me again.

Okay then! I'll be praying for you!
    <3

Okay then! I'll be praying for you!
    <3
    Please don't.

Again, I'm sorry you feel that way, Lotus!
    You obviously haven't read the Bible in the slightest! I'd suggest studying it yourself, or googling specific things to get verses on them. It might help you understand what a true servant of Christ is commanded to do.
    If someone is forcing 'Christianity' down your throat, then they are wrong for bullying you into something you're not personally ready for yet. It has been proven that a person can't change their mind unless they make the choice to change it! The more someone forces it, the more it just doesn't click.
    God gave us all free will, so it is ultimately up to the person themselves to accept God or not.

All we can do, as Christians, is educate!
    Please stop. This is not helping. This is not speaking in love. Check your spirit are you being led by it? I have already had a private conversation with Lotus and made up and she was going to ignore the thread. Everyone please stop engaging with her. Let's just get back to the discussion.

You are never alone.
    There are about

[QUOTE=Mermaid Bree;283910]
    That is very interesting about the unicorn I will have to look that up.

http://www.catholic-saints.info/cath...ian-symbol.htm
    I am going to look at this

You are never alone.
    There are about