Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: A Christian Merfolk Fellowship Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    The best part is, as counselors we will each be given a bag of doubloons and when we see a camper do something Christ-like, we are to discretely hand them a doubloon and tell them why we are giving it to them. Then they can put that into their crew's treasure chest for more points! I love the idea so much!
    That sounds awesome! The camp I volunteer for really needs to have a theme, esp. one like that!

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod Cerry's Avatar
    I love this thread so much. There is so much inspiration here. I'm a bit envious of the pirate theme camp to be honest, it sounds like a blast. I can't wait to get my new tail (sometime next month) and be able to bring joy to people in that capacity. I'm having issues though trying to make a top that is a bit more modest. What are your favorite styles for tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Cerry View Post
    I love this thread so much. There is so much inspiration here. I'm a bit envious of the pirate theme camp to be honest, it sounds like a blast. I can't wait to get my new tail (sometime next month) and be able to bring joy to people in that capacity. I'm having issues though trying to make a top that is a bit more modest. What are your favorite styles for tips?
    Thx Cerry! And I think Mermaid Lotus sells modest tops on her etsy store?

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod Cerry's Avatar
    ❤ I love her tops!

Every day, my situation proves in countless ways that I. am. not. enough. But my God is.

I have a song to go with what you said: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McKJgrVEcKM

I have been struggling lately with feeling positive amidst all the stress of life with graduation coming up and stuff. I have to keep reminding myself that God has taken good care of me all this time and I need to put more trust in him and stop worrying so much. I am taking in all the little things in life right now to remind myself how awesome this world is. Just tonight I was watching Leidy's comb jellyfish glow in the dark and fish jumping around everywhere - yesterday I watched dolphins swim by and then when they were off in the distance they started jumping out of the glassy water. God is my favorite artist.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

This weekend is Gulf Coast Getaway (Christian event) in Panama City Beach, FL.
    If you happen to be going bring your tail and we can meetup and swim during one of the break times!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

I wish I could come! So happy to know there are other Christian mers here!

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    Hello everyone...I thought that Christianity was unheard of in the mer world...so glad to find this thread!

Sent from my ShellPhone using Tapatalk

I was just given a daily devotional book all based on The Hobbit. My two favorite things out into one, Christianity and the wonderful works of Tolkien❤

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
    Formerly known as Savannah Staver

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod MerGreg's Avatar
    Add MerGreg on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Sirenia View Post
    I was just given a daily devotional book all based on The Hobbit. My two favorite things out into one, Christianity and the wonderful works of Tolkien❤

Very nice! Couldn't agree more. I have a devotional that's based on Narnia - so much good stuff, insight. Love it.

Glad to find this thread!!!

Add MerGreg on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Carly View Post
    *hugs* Didn't see your message until now. I am so sorry to hear about that! You deserve a loving church family! I don't attend a church, just watch a pastor's daily podcast and am part of an online Christian group. A lot of Christians I know believe that is not "good enough" (Ugh.), but it's the best I can do right now myself and I'm content with my situation.
    The best you can do is the best you can do. I don't know your situation, but I've known of several, for varied reasons, that work out this way, at least for a season. Blessings to you, Carly!

Add MerGreg on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphitrite View Post
    Yeah. Downer for me as I am far away from family. I'm just really disappointed. I'm hurting and have a limited number of people to talk to, none of whom are in real life. No one calls, no one asks if I am okay or do I need anything. It breaks my heart.
    Hi! I know you don't know me, but I've been in the same situation too many times. It's so easy for me to say "hang in there" or "I'll pray for you" - I don't want to give you a canned reply - but I really will be praying for you, Amphitrite. Blessings to you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Sirenia View Post

Wait...There are such things!? Oh my gosh that is amazing!

Also welcome everyone new to the thread!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar

One of my nieces out of state was talking about that book while they were here in central Fl. If I remember the name, it's "Hobbit Devotional" by Ed Strauss. I'm sure the local library might have it or order from another library in the area.

Add MerGreg on Facebook

Thanks! Love what you're doing with the camp!

Any other Mormons here lol? I'll definitely have to give that Hobbit Devotional book a try, it sounds interesting! I know it's a bit orthodox, being from the Book of Mormon and not the Bible, but I have to share my favorite scripture. It definitely has some gems of interest, even if you don't believe in it.

It says "Arise from the dust, my sons, and be men, and be determined in one mind and in one heart, united in all things, that ye may not come down in captivity". This scripture is a major driving force in my life, and it's helped me through many tough times. There are times when I feel that I'm becoming distant from our Heavenly Father, and that I'm loosening my habits and morals, and becoming unworthy to wield the Aaronic priesthood.

This is reminds me of what I need to do. It gives me the strength to carry my burdens, be they physical, spiritual, or moral, and to withstand whatever trials I may face. That in order to be truly free, I must first perform my duties to God and serve others. I have the responsibility of blessing the bread and water in sacrament meeting, and unless I can do those things, I have no power to assume the responsibilities of the priesthood and serve others.

I remember becoming more than familiar with water this summer during a grueling High Adventure trip, a trip where me and my quorum hiked and camped for a week, isolated from civilization and distraction. I spent probably a good 9-10 hours wading, hiking, and swimming through a river. It was one of the most difficult things I've done in my life. We had occasional breaks for lessons, talks, and to bear our testimonies.

I remember I prayed 3 times, each having to stop as I was hiking out, as a lightning storm began to hit. I was broken, tired, and barely able to move. But that scripture, and my love for God and Jesus Christ, it gave me the strength to pull through. It almost felt as if there was someone along the way, helping me, helping me carry the weight of my pack.

That's a big reason why I identify as Mormon and a Christian. Nature always draws in the spirit for me, and I feel that humbling yourself like I have only strengthens its presence. I remember reading of a similar thing in Siddhartha Herman Hesse, one of my favorite books, as it describes Siddhartha's journey for spiritual enlightenment, as he casts off all things hat are of the world, devoting himself entirely to his faith.

Just thought I should share an experience and a bit of my testimony, to make this a bit more of a substantial post. What would you guys consider a polarizing experience for your faith in God?
    Proud Merman, Eaglescout, DIYer, and lover of nature

I love this idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Takahao View Post
    Any other Mormons here lol? I'll definitely have to give that Hobbit Devotional book a try, it sounds interesting! I know it's a bit orthodox, being from the Book of Mormon and not the Bible, but I have to share my favorite scripture. It definitely has some gems of interest, even if you don't believe in it.

It says "Arise from the dust, my sons, and be men, and be determined in one mind and in one heart, united in all things, that ye may not come down in captivity". This scripture is a major driving force in my life, and it's helped me through many tough times. There are times when I feel that I'm becoming distant from our Heavenly Father, and that I'm loosening my habits and morals, and becoming unworthy to wield the Aaronic priesthood.

This is reminds me of what I need to do. It gives me the strength to carry my burdens, be they physical, spiritual, or moral, and to withstand whatever trials I may face. That in order to be truly free, I must first perform my duties to God and serve others. I have the responsibility of blessing the bread and water in sacrament meeting, and unless I can do those things, I have no power to assume the responsibilities of the priesthood and serve others.

I remember becoming more than familiar with water this summer during a grueling High Adventure trip, a trip where me and my quorum hiked and camped for a week, isolated from civilization and distraction. I spent probably a good 9-10 hours wading, hiking, and swimming through a river. It was one of the most difficult things I've done in my life. We had occasional breaks for lessons, talks, and to bear our testimonies.

I remember I prayed 3 times, each having to stop as I was hiking out, as a lightning storm began to hit. I was broken, tired, and barely able to move. But that scripture, and my love for God and Jesus Christ, it gave me the strength to pull through. It almost felt as if there was someone along the way, helping me, helping me carry the weight of my pack.

That's a big reason why I identify as Mormon and a Christian. Nature always draws in the spirit for me, and I feel that humbling yourself like I have only strengthens its presence. I remember reading of a similar thing in Siddhartha Herman Hesse, one of my favorite books, as it describes Siddhartha's journey for spiritual enlightenment, as he casts off all things hat are of the world, devoting himself entirely to his faith.

Just thought I should share an experience and a bit of my testimony, to make this a bit more of a substantial post. What would you guys consider a polarizing experience for your faith in God?
    I'm Mormon, too! I was starting to think I was the only one!
    I don't really have a big story to tell about one experience that changed my relationship with God. For me, it's been slow and gradual. As a person who suffers from depression, I've been in situations where even the most loving words can't reach me. But God's love is always there, even when I don't feel it. Knowing that gives me the strength to keep going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Dragon View Post
    I'm Mormon, too! I was starting to think I was the only one!
    I don't really have a big story to tell about one experience that changed my relationship with God. For me, it's been slow and gradual. As a person who suffers from depression, I've been in situations where even the most loving words can't reach me. But God's love is always there, even when I don't feel it. Knowing that gives me the strength to keep going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holla at my fellow Mormon Merfolk! I was beginning to think I was the only one too! I think one thing that has really made me think a lot about my faith is due to the fact that my mom has been sick for the past month or two. For about a week it looked like there was a good chance that she had Pancreatic Cancer. In case you are unaware, pancreatic cancer is THE most deadly type of cancer, even ahead of lung cancer. This completely shook my world. Part of me was thinking about how dying at 56 years old is too young and I could never live without my mom and that I would be in the deepest depression if she left. The other part was what I think was the Spirit telling me that if she did leave, then I would still be able to see her again after this life and I shouldn't be so worried about the relatively short amount of time that I would be away from her (what's 50 years in comparison to eternity?). Since then we've found that it's likely just gallstones and she'll be getting surgery for it in a couple days. But I'm still strangely grateful for the chance I got to reevaluate my faith and what I would do if something really did happen to her. Would I have no faith and fall into despair? Or would I mourn for a while and then use the experience to build my faith and the faith of other people? Through that experience I realized this life is better when you have the faith that everything that is unfair about this life will be made right through the atonement of Christ.