Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Cartwright's 22mm Shell Sequins - See ALL The Colors!!

They are seriously gorgeous all in a group! ;_; ~♥
    I'd love to make more scale patterns but I've got other things to be working on, so if anyone else has color combo requests leave them here. I'll get to them when I can. Oh, and Cartwright shipped my order of the remaining colors, so you can include new colors in your requests, too! I'm sure they'll arrive soon. =)

Just wanted to say I spent some time roughing scales up and I have added pictures to the color references, detailing how these little beauties are made...

Add Celaeno on Facebook
    If you get a minute, I'd love to see the pattern you already had set up with some gold thrown in. I'm thinking about covering my plastic water-resistant ukulele in scales so I have a mermaid ukulele to play in the water...

Could you possibly arrange examples of all four of your current Crystal Iris colors from bluest to greenest? They look so similar, it'd be great to have a comparison shot of all of them.

And Celaeno, a mermaid ukelele sounds awesome! You should go for it and share tons of pictures!

Fancy a cup of mermaid tea?

Quote Originally Posted by Celaeno View Post
    If you get a minute, I'd love to see the pattern you already had set up with some gold thrown in. I'm thinking about covering my plastic water-resistant ukulele in scales so I have a mermaid ukulele to play in the water...
    Sounds like a great project! Do you prefer metallic gold, holographic gold, or some of each?

Quote Originally Posted by Ciriun View Post
    Could you possibly arrange examples of all four of your current Crystal Iris colors from bluest to greenest? They look so similar, it'd be great to have a comparison shot of all of them.

And Celaeno, a mermaid ukelele sounds awesome! You should go for it and share tons of pictures!
    That is something I wanted to do, so I definitely will! The blue-green Crystal Iris colors are very similar - frustratingly so! I mean, they are different, but barely. Depending on the light they'll all look shiny yellow-green. @_@ But I will do my best! I will do side-by-side rows of color and an intermixed scale pattern, I think. I will say they are definitely fish-like and very classically mermaid-y in color, but also a total letdown if you wanted a true blue or true green tail. And all have a warm/yellow-golden flash. No good for icy tails. =P

I'm thinking I'd like to dismantle more of the Crystal Iris colors and see if the layers of plastic are any different or if it's just a trick of the foil inside. Held up to sunlight they all look basically identical. I'm also going to double check that a pale background doesn't make a difference (once they are in a dense scale pattern in doesn't seem to matter - they turn quite opaque).

Would anyone like written color descriptions in the main post along with the photos I've taken? Obviously colors vary from screen to screen, and what one person calls teal another might call turquoise, but I have a good grasp of color. I'd be able to say X is lighter than X, X is greener than X, etc. I was going to do it when I first posted but the great photo fiasco stole my ambition that day. =P

Add Celaeno on Facebook
    Both kinds of gold, if you please.

Color Mix: Cabana Blue, Bali Breeze, Seaspray, and Tidal Teal

Alright, finally some pictures of these pesky blue/green Crystal Iris colors!

Along the top I arranged them Cabana Blue -> Bali Breeze -> Seaspray -> Tidal Teal...
    indirect sun / shade

Top scale pattern:
    CB BB SS TT
    . CB BB SS TT
    CB BB SS TT

Smaller scale patterns:
    CB SS ---- BB TT
    . CB SS ---- BB TT
    CB SS ---- BB TT

The lower groups were made because I realized that while CB & BB are more "blue", and SS & TT are more "green", they actually each have another way to match - by iridescence. CB & SS have a more green flash, and BB & TT have a very gold flash. This shows more in the shaded pictures. So, depending on what you're going for with your tail, you might want a mix of "blue" and "green" if, say, you're looking to use golden scales as well, or you love turquoise... I think BB is more blue than SS, but because it flashes golden it can look greener in some lighting.

...These things get COMPLICATED!

I also made a mixed scale pattern:
    indirect sun / shade

Scale pattern:
    SS CB SS BB
    . BB CB TT
    CB TT SS CB
    . SS BB BB
    TT CB TT SS

I also slipped a paper underneath the lower rows of this mix:
    indirect sun / shade

...It helps Cabana Blue stand out as being the bluest of them all! And made my camera capture the photos a bit brighter, lol.

(Also, Calaeno, I'm not ignoring your mix request - I had this one done before I had your reply on which types of gold to use! After seeing how gold BB & TT flash I want to do a mix of them together with gold. Do you still want a mix of golds with Midori, Seaspray and Tidal Teal? If so, that's no problem. =) I'll create your color mix first.)

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add Celaeno on Facebook
    Yes, Midori/Seaspray/Tidal Teal with gold would be great. Do you have Sunglow?

Add Celaeno on Facebook
    So many factors, it's like alchemy!

PearlieMae - Lol, I'm sorry! It makes me feel a bit frazzled, too. "These two match great! ..No, these are better. ...But then these..." lol.

Celaeno - There are SO many possible variations! I will have Sunglow soon, looks like my Cartwright's order has sat in the same place for two days. =P I'm expecting the rest of the sequins to show up tomorrow or Saturday. I can't wait to see the new colors, and do more mixes!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    There's a lot to be said for the sacred art of random-ness.

Just sayin'

Color Mix: Golds (metallic & holo), Midori, Seaspray, and Tidal Teal

For Celaeno!

Metallic & holo Gold, the green Holo Midori, and the Crystal Iris colors Seaspray and Tidal Teal.

indirect sun / shade

Scale pattern:
    TT Gm SS M
    . M SS TT
    SS TT Gh SS
    . TT TT M
    Gm SS M TT
    . TT SS Gm
    Gh M TT SS

This is such a fun, colorful mix! The two Golds look really nice together. It would also look great if you swapped out the holo Midori for Turquoise. =)

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    There's a lot to be said for the sacred art of random-ness.

Just sayin'
    I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to come across as saying what should go with what. The blue-green colors are awesome intermixed. I just wanted to point out the various ways they could be matched up.

In other news, my second order arrived today! I'll have the rest of the colors up soon. They are fantastic! =)

Add Celaeno on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by RNHime View Post
    For Celaeno!

Metallic & holo Gold, the green Holo Midori, and the Crystal Iris colors Seaspray and Tidal Teal.

indirect sun / shade

Scale pattern:
    TT Gm SS M
    . M SS TT
    SS TT Gh SS
    . TT TT M
    Gm SS M TT
    . TT SS Gm
    Gh M TT SS

This is such a fun, colorful mix! The two Golds look really nice together. It would also look great if you swapped out the holo Midori for Turquoise. =)
    Awesome! It looked as good as it did in my head. Sequins ordered! Thank you! XD

Add Celaeno on Facebook
    After I cover the ukulele, I might have to make a sequin tail for myself with these colors. So pretty!

Add Celaeno on Facebook
    Just checked the first post again, all the new colors are gorgeous too! Gah! I'm imagining you diving into a big pile of shell sequins like Scrooge McDuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Celaeno View Post
    Just checked the first post again, all the new colors are gorgeous too! Gah! I'm imagining you diving into a big pile of shell sequins like Scrooge McDuck.
    Lol, YES!

I'm so happy I was able to help you! Definitely share some pictures of whatever you create! =D

Wow. I was planning on making a sequin tail eventually but this thread makes me want to order the sequins now! Thanks everyone for all the input on how to make the best sequin tail. I will definitely keep this page as a reference!
    Everyone wishes for a magical solution to their problems but they refuse to believe in magic.
    ~Henry (from Once Upon A Time)

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Clara's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Clara On Twitter Add Mermaid Clara on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Clara's Youtube Channel
    Wow! I really like these bigger sequins, maybe I'll use them in my next sequin tail after I finish my tail with little sequins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *Previously know as KellyMermaid*