Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Keiris' New Hybrid Tail

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Thank you so much Nyx, Pearlie, Seraphina, Celaeno, Kalani, Alea, Aldalira, Dancing Fish, Pearlie and MermaidoftheLabrinth! It's coming along. Once I get the blended waistband done and a little finishing I will shoot a video of the whole tail.

I just got done making a transport bag for it out of one of those water resistant roll up beach mats.

Wow, it's so gorgeous! I love all the details! Fantastic work!

Add Keiris on Facebook
    So for the blended waist I opted for a full silicone belt of sorts. I didn't want to add more length to the tail and make it harder to pull up so I have decided to create my own version of a blended waist that can be put on as a separate piece and pulled down over the hard edge of the cloth. It will hug the body tighter, blend with my skin and the tail better, and be easy to put on and remove. If I had just painted the waist of the tail it would have been too stiff, not laid as smoothly, and rejected the silicone overlay.

I mixed up a batch of flesh tone silicone to match my sun tan and then an aqua color to match the tail, blended those and let that cure. The scales were painted on with more colored silicone which I manipulated to leave a ridge detail on some of the edges of the scales. I went back to deepen the color and add a little glitter where the teal starts.

This could actually be permanently attached to the tail or left as a separate piece. I know a lot of mermaids have trouble with gapping in their tails because the waist has to be cut so much smaller than the hips so it can be an issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Keiris, I had an idea almost exactly like that belt you made, but you beat me to the actual construction! I'm very interested to hear how it works out! I am also THOROUGHLY impressed by your fluke; both the sculpt and the color blending. It's gorgeous. And you've gotten this all done so quickly!

This is so freaking amazing Keris! I love it all! That heavily ribbed fluke is giving me tingles. It's so powerful-looking!
    From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free. --Jacques Yves Cousteau

That fluke!!! Wow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mermaid Aine ​(pronounced Anya)
    of The Mermaids of the Great Salt Lake
    And you sang "Sail to me, Sail to me, Let me enfold you, Here I am, Here I am
    Waiting to hold you"
    Song to the Siren-Jeff Buckley
    https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thismemaidsjourney
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAine
    http://mermaidsofgsl.wixsite.com/mermaids
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidaine

Senior Member Pod of Cali Ashton's Avatar
    Add Ashton on Facebook Add Ashton on Google+
    Follow Ashton on Tumblr Visit Ashton's Youtube Channel
    Love your progress and your fluke!

That belt is one of the coolest things I've ever seen!!

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

You know the cool thing about the belt is you could sell them and they wouldn't take forever to make. I am sure there are mers that have a silicone tail that they got before blended waists were an option and now they might want to have a blended waist. Even a fabric tail could look pretty cool with a blended waist belt. I am sure you could even make it so that the whole belt is skin tone colored so that you can wear it with any tail and it will match.

Anyways, I really hope it works well. I figure it will.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I've made a belt like that but I have it so it sandwiches the top of the tail! But I didn't need it once I made my tail with the built in top!

I'm trying to decide how to tighten my waistline. I like this! I'll probably try a fabric wrap to match my top first...'cause lazy.
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

I was recently wondering how in the world you would adjust an individual scale tail if it needed to be tighter. I really love all of the pretty belts you mers create to fix a gapping waistline.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Add Keiris on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    You know the cool thing about the belt is you could sell them and they wouldn't take forever to make. I am sure there are mers that have a silicone tail that they got before blended waists were an option and now they might want to have a blended waist. Even a fabric tail could look pretty cool with a blended waist belt. I am sure you could even make it so that the whole belt is skin tone colored so that you can wear it with any tail and it will match.

Anyways, I really hope it works well. I figure it will.
    Yes, Alea I have made this with many options in mind. The nice thing is that it is not too thick so blends very well into the skin, you can wear it as high or as low on the tail as you want so you never get the dreaded muffin top.
    I am making a couple for mers already.

Great! I can't wait to see a picture of you or someone wearing the belt! It is so neat!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants

That's one of the best looking transition from scales to skin I've seen!
    Also, I haven't seen a full body picture of the tail in a while! Can we get a pic or are you saving that for the big reveal?
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

DAMN KEIRIS! HOW DID I MISS THIS!? This is phenomenal and I'm SO FREAKING PROUD OF YOU!
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

Add Keiris on Facebook
    Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate it!!
    Kalani, I will try to post the full tail as soon as I'm finished. I am debating about adding a couple small heel fins.

Add Keiris on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lorelei View Post
    DAMN KEIRIS! HOW DID I MISS THIS!? This is phenomenal and I'm SO FREAKING PROUD OF YOU!
    Hahaha Lorelei!! Thank you so much, Doll! You Made my night!!!!

Woah... this looks INCREDIBLE!!!!!! I am in love with that blended waist belt! That is such a cool idea!!!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    in sunlight

I Adore these colours, the blending has been done extremely well. Very Tropical.

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......