Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Merrowfins? "New" Tailmaker

Quote Originally Posted by TheMermaidQuintessence View Post
    Attachment 41505

Now I'm not going as far as to agree they "copied" this fluke, all I'm saying is nothing they do seems to be very unique, or all that well done if they're trying to compare themselves to mertailor. I don't have any personal vendetta against merrow fins or anything XD sorry if it's coming off like that. this is just something i'venoticed time and time again when they pop up on my feed, and I've always just kind of thought ".....huh."
    ...Wow. Now I totally see your point. I'm not on Instagram or anything so I've never seen that before now. It may not be a straight up copy but that's a little too similar for my tastes. My husband disagrees saying they're different enough and there's only so many fluke shapes someone can make. To each their own though.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    you gotta remember though it's 100% normal for these types of company to hire contractors to do things like sculpting, or painting, or assembling. Matty was hired and paid for his service, and there's no way for anyone to really verify his claims of how much he did or what he did besides him. He makes a lot of claims about that lobster tail but you can see on his page that Robert Short who also helped with it, contests that.

So take it all as a grain of salt.

I do personally think Matty focuses way too much on mertailor. I have known them both for ages. I think he holds himself back by constantly trying to prove his worth next to mertailor, and instead of trying to offer what eric does, he should focus on making his line of tails more his own and innovate.

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post

I do personally think Matty focuses way too much on mertailor. I have known them both for ages. I think he holds himself back by constantly trying to prove his worth next to mertailor, and instead of trying to offer what eric does, he should focus on making his line of tails more his own and innovate.
    100% agree! He has this sort of tunnel vision set of always competing with mertailor, not on a business competition level but more of in a personal level, like a bitter rival who has no other objective but to beat one particular person for revenge or to prove something.

It seems so harsh to type it out but it's what stands out to me after following him for so long. I think he should stop focusing on what mertailor is doing and on upping him and work on creating signature products and styles to his tails. (For example i can tell a merbella, mertailor, finfolk, etc tail just from looking at it but it's hard to do that with merrowfins).

I feel like he has so much potential but is being held back by the past.

As for the copying, that is clearly a copied fluke to me, i didn't notice it at all to be honest because i never saw the original fluke. I hope he starts sculpting his own designs more.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

Something else merrow did that really rubbed me the wrong way. they recently posted 3, not one, but 3 photos of the same silicone starfish with fun captions, like look at these star fish! join the merrow family! When, in actuality all they did was repaint someone elses work. I don't care what the circumstance is but to me thats extremely misleading. It's extremely unprofessional not to give out right credit to someone elses work. What do you mean you "think" thats what the company was called? If you're in agreement to use and repaint someone elses work not only should it state somewhere that all you did was paint, but you should have known and mentioned the company that did the main design. If he gets upset when Mertailor doesn't credit him, why do the same to someone else?
    Name:  mer1.png
Views: 447
Size:  757.4 KB
    Name:  mer2.png
Views: 449
Size:  38.2 KB
    Name:  mer3.png
Views: 440
Size:  32.8 KB
    Name:  mer5.png
Views: 494
Size:  608.2 KB

Idk, i think it's safe to say that something about them just doesn't add up to me. I think I'll just leave it at that X3

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Arking's Avatar
    Add Arking on Facebook
    Add Arking on Linkedin Follow Arking on Tumblr Follow Arking on Flickr
    My take away from the starfish is that he's got the ability to work off of others peoples ideas and make them work for his own vision. That said, this particular instance is a bit silly, credit where credit is due chum, I mean if he really believes art is a community than please pass the acknowledgements on and build up those you build from.

I definitely think he's incredibly talented and probably flounders from time to time in uncertainty on where to go next in his skills. I could also see the lack of shared credit stemming from insecurity in the face of competitors. If he's as really fixated as he seems against mertailor than perhaps he feels safer saying he alone is coming up with the work he sells as it makes himself look more desirable in the business. There is also the chance that he's subconsciously or deliberately protecting his sources of inspiration and collaboration. If your sources remain unknowns they remain accessible, exclusive, and in turn affordable so there's a benefit to keeping them uncredited really. It's all conjecture though. I hope he continues to collaborate and explore that community art idea, he can only stand to benefit from working with minds like his own.

Very well said. Though I'd hope he isn't keeping them under wraps for selfish reasons. If we're really all one community like he said he believes we are then he should be happy to promote a reliable source.

there's simply no reason for him not to credit. Why can't he make his own starfish??

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Arking's Avatar
    Add Arking on Facebook
    Add Arking on Linkedin Follow Arking on Tumblr Follow Arking on Flickr
    He does seem to indicate in one response that his own sculptures weren't ready in time for the client which tells me this was time sensitive and a custom request. Not that it's any excuse at all. On one hand props to him for trying to deliver quality in a timely fashion, but it would have also made sense for him to negotiate with the client on expected work time and deliver a completely original work. I know I've over estimated my own abilities before, so this could be a case of him promising something by a certain date and realizing he's no other choice but to borrow from someone else to honor that arrangement.

As an artist it's frustrating to see someone gifted and with a wider social platform benefit from someone elses work by simply snapping a photo and hash tagging it to death. I mean he's done the bare minimum here with painting over a pre-made sculpt, it's only one step further than the product he purchased from FancyFish. I still think it's a means to protect himself a little bit though, if he indicates you too can get these unmodified silicone starfish for as low as $25 bucks he loses potential clients whom may pay a premium for something with his name on it. Ah, now I sound mean.

I'm not sure...what the message is here? what Business was started? I'm sorry I'm just not understanding what the message is you're trying to get across? Where does Merrowfins play into what you're mentioning here?

Ah, ok. Sorry haha I'm new to mernetwork!

That's ok Mermaid Quintessence .. welcome to the Mermaid Network. And most of all Good luck.. I see
    you are in the Cali pod those are my Mer buddies I love Luckie she is my Mer Sis ��

Senior Member RiverDragonKaringan's Avatar
    Add RiverDragonKaringan on Facebook
    Currently in conversation with Matty discussing my River Dragon ensemble. I do appreciate his enthusiasm!

PDX River Dragon!

Well If Merrow fins made the molds I'd argue why their flukes aren't nearly as consistent or detailed as Mertailors? Mertailor seems to be more then capable of making flukes and molds without them, where as merrowfins' flukes look kind of... messy idk. In comparison anyway. but it looks like I'm not the only one who's seen that they take a bit too much "inspiration" from other shops. I've also heard they are more then willing to remake other shops designs. Like I said, it isn't just mertailor I feel like I've seen them be a little too similar for my taste too. But really I don't care, I'm just making observations. Regardless I don't know the history, but I'll say that as someone newer in the community looking in mertailor has a much better image then merrow fins, and looks better in comparison, So I'm kind of doubting merrowfins could have made those great tails without mertailor, since their most recent work is not really all that impressive, and seems repetitive , where as Mertailor comes out with great new things often. But again, I'm not interested in being involved in drama I'm just stating my very humble opinion since I don't know much about much X3
    I will say, having seen multiple Mer tailor tails in person, they looks terribly messy as well. Not a look I like at all. On any tail. Lol

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty

Thats interesting. Mine, my mer sisters, and mermaid ginger's Mertailor tails all have really nice flukes. I absolutely love their detailing. I think his molds are stunning, especially compared to some of the other tails I've seen.

Thats interesting. Mine, my mer sisters, and mermaid ginger's Mertailor tails all have really nice flukes. I absolutely love their detailing. I think his molds are stunning, especially compared to some of the other tails I've seen.
    Every single one, old and new, have had messy seams and sloppily done scales. I can forgive the old ones but the new? Nope.

Store Blog

Well clearly not every single one, since I just listed three that don't X3 all of ours have blended seams and those along with the scales and the flukes are very nice! Ginger likes hers more then her finfolk tail. I prefer these scales to the finfolk ones as well personally.

It's a personal preference. But they've all looked shoddy to me (though I haven't seen yours in person). And as someone who works with silicone I'm very picky. It's why I'm making my own tail.

Store Blog

my new mermaid just got a mertailor tail and it's amazing, I've been here for the majority of mertailor's time as a tail maker, and I 100% think he's majorly improved. the messy ones were made by merrowfins and aren't used anymore.

Pod of New England
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel

Thoughts on Merrowfins? "New" Tailmaker

Mertailor knows who's to actually put effort on because if he would have sent Ginger a sloppy tail it would have been hell cause she has thousands of followers and her voice is heard by most in this community and if her review would have been negative it would deff have an impact, u girls got some clout (followers) as well so you got a decent product but everyone knows that not all of his work is impeccable he is sometimes more than sloppy thus said he is a good Tailor just not 100% all of the time but if he wanted he could rock the Mermaid world he has plenty of skill all he needs is consistency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    user formerly known as mermaidofthelabyrinth

Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast