Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Merrowfins? "New" Tailmaker

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MissLunaBelle View Post
    I "added" glitter and he never added it, he said he would make it blacklight reactive, that never happened. I honestly think he just gets in over his head. Here's a couple pics of my old basic tail which makes me believe he didn't actually upgrade your tail.. again, I'm so sorry you had to deal with thisAttachment 43581Attachment 43582

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

its the same fluke and everything. it's ridiculous.
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

So I will not be getting a refund unfortunately
    Matt has however agreed to make me a replacement tail that is more to my standards.
    I will be sending the tailback and waiting for my new one (another year and a half wait I'm sure)
    I spoke with his assistant Christina or Christine, and sent her all the references I could and told her exactly how the tail should be done. I was assured she would be printing out the pictures and presenting them to matt when they started to work on the new tail but I am not holding my breath.
    All I can do now is wait, to see what the new tail looks like and go from there but either way, this will be my last dealing with Merrowfins.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    well good luck I hope it works out, sorry you had to deal with that.

Visit Sammi_Ray's Youtube Channel
    I am so sorry you are going through this Prince Calypso! I had some trouble to start off with. The only way i could get hold of him was on Instagram messenger. The first tail he showed me..i cried. It was nothing like what i asked for. We then had a lengthy conversation and decided he would make me a new one because someone wanted to buy that one. He made me a brand new one and it was all i could ever ask for. I am really hoping he pulls it out the bag for you! It wont let me upload a photo of my final tail.

Mermaid Sammi Ray

Okay, I just took the time to read through the whole thread and sweet Jesus... Ultimately I haven't actually been around for all of the drama, so it would be unfair of me to comment on that. But...

Quote Originally Posted by MissLunaBelle View Post
    Can I just... I'm sorry, but this is something that's been bothering me.

I'm not a tailmaker, but I am an artist. And the quality of this guy's sculpts are bad. There's no thought to the scales meeting the fluke, it's just a slanted line. And fluke ribbing looks unnatural and unorganized, not to mention all of the little bumps and air pockets.

And finally his paint jobs. He just stuck to an airbrush for every little bit of this tail, which makes it look fuzzy and lazy. When painting you have to know when to switch your tools, and when to use hard and soft lines. You can't just leave everything fuzzy or rely on just one brush. It looks bad every time. The stripes are also not even close to being symmetrical, as it seems like was supposed to be the design here.

I know it's blunt, and I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure this tail looks very pretty to some people, unfortunately all I can see are flaws in the craftsmanship. As an artist, Matt cuts corners. Any future customers ordering from him should keep that in mind.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Pod of New England
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCorvidae View Post
    Okay, I just took the time to read through the whole thread and sweet Jesus... Ultimately I haven't actually been around for all of the drama, so it would be unfair of me to comment on that. But...

Can I just... I'm sorry, but this is something that's been bothering me.

I'm not a tailmaker, but I am an artist. And the quality of this guy's sculpts are bad. There's no thought to the scales meeting the fluke, it's just a slanted line. And fluke ribbing looks unnatural and unorganized, not to mention all of the little bumps and air pockets.

And finally his paint jobs. He just stuck to an airbrush for every little bit of this tail, which makes it look fuzzy and lazy. When painting you have to know when to switch your tools, and when to use hard and soft lines. You can't just leave everything fuzzy or rely on just one brush. It looks bad every time. The stripes are also not even close to being symmetrical, as it seems like was supposed to be the design here.

I know it's blunt, and I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure this tail looks very pretty to some people, unfortunately all I can see are flaws in the craftsmanship. As an artist, Matt cuts corners. Any future customers ordering from him should keep that in mind.
    Those basic tail fins and flukes aren’t sculpts or casts of sculpts it’s niles carved on silicone spread on neoprin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Pod of New England
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Gree to disagree

Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Quote Originally Posted by Marinus Mortimer View Post
    Gree to disagree

By all means, I'm not out to start trouble. ✌️
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

so update on the whole issue with my tail.
    its been a little over 4 months since i sent my tail back to Matt with the guarantee he would be making me a new one
    communications have been sparse. apparently Matt has settled on giving me fabric fins instead of silicone to give me the flowy look i want
    the exact same thing i asked him to do when i first ordered my tail mind you, to which he told me it just wasn't doable. now i knew that was not true as all the way back in the day when i had my very first tail from Fishbutt's (remember that company?)
    the tail was silicone (or at least silicone caulking) with fabric fins.
    so i knew what i was asking for when i originally asked for fabric fins but that neither hear nor there.
    all I've gotten from Merrowfins in regards to my tail is pictures of flowy tulle underwater.
    that's cool and everything but can i see my tail, at least the scale body or the fluke? something.
    and those responses have come after months and weeks of messages going unread.
    i chose to send Matt an email both directly to Merrowfins Facebook and the company's email airing my issue with the lack of information as when i initially sent my tail back i asked specifically to be kept abreast of what was going on at every stage possible.
    the message was polite but direct and simply stated that i was goring worried and my husband, who shelled out the money for the tail was growing... irritated for lack of a more polite word, and would be pushing for a refund from paypal should we not get some kind of update about my tail. i also informed Matt that perhaps my deign was a little to ambitious for him and that i would be happy to completely forgot the fins and just have the tail.
    this seemed to get a response from Matt. he assured me that they are indeed working on my tail and ask me to please me patient with them. sends me a picture of purple tulle that will be added to my tail and all these platitudes and assurances that he knows he has disappointed a customer (apparently he read my review and rant about the tail i was previously sent) and want to rectify the issue.
    great, i'm happy to receive a response however, where are any pictures of the tail itself. you've had 4 months. the scales should at least be done, the fluke should be done. the fins and the tulle are last minute attachments.
    i should have received a picture of something other than fabric underwater. you dotn need to prove how that looks to me. I've taken photos in a full length tulle ballgown at the bottom of a pool. I know how tulle looks in water dude.
    however. i think this may have lit a fire under Merrowfins tail fin and perhaps i will be getting more updates as thing progress. Here's hoping. fins crossed

After seeing so many problems with his tails and his for a better word lack of enthusiasm it keeping people updated and sending puc etc, I can honestly say I wouldn't touch his tails with a 10ft barge pole

Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast