Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Merrowfins? "New" Tailmaker

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison Juliette View Post
    I agree. I would want to see examples of multiple products if I were to even think about ordering.

We know that Matt is capable of INCREDIBLE, imaginative sculpts as he demonstrated when he was associated with the Mertailor. I know I am new to the mermaiding world, but it appears to me that a big problem that people have with the Mertailor is lack of consistency (and bad customer service which is a whole different beast all together).

Here is the kicker for me: The Mertailor has produced awesome tails AND problematic tails using their molds (which definitely sounds like less of a sculpt/mold problem and more of a problem in other aspects of tailmaking that Matt may or may not have participated in).

Yes, Mertailor as a company cranked out a SICK lobster tail to debut at MerFest, and we've all seen how gorgeous their tails CAN be. But when it comes down to day-in day-out tailmaking for the average client, the Mertailor seems consistently inconsistent. It breaks my heart to read old (and new!) posts about this. Matt is clearly very very talented at sculpting, but it sucks that he was previously associated with a company that often produced a less-than-stellar product despite good sculpts/molds.

I hope that Merrowfins will post photos of how their repairs turned out and that those mers will post reviews. I know I can't wait to see some real examples of tails that Matt makes on his own. I was ready to throw down a deposit based on those barnacles alone! JUST TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY!!!!!! Haha
    Well said.

Eric has always been the type to take all the credit over the years. Matty had a fb page up before where he showed some of his work but Eric made him take it down.

I think he has a unique opportunity where he knows the complaints people make about mertailor and knows how to address them in what he is creating.

I agree it would be better if he had all his ducks in a row; especially for new people who don't know. But I am excited to see what he creates. I have been sending people who need tail repairs his way.

I think it all just comes down to respect for a customer. No tail maker can be perfect, and sometimes issues will happen they can't fix. I've seen both extremes: the maker who won't fix a dang thing ( Eric) and the maker who fixes more than they should ( Raven). I think you need to fall somewhere in the middle, have a clear terms of service, and just be dang polite to people! Clients can be assholes in the wrong for sure. I have seen it. But when you start insisting everyone is like that, the problem is probably with you lol.

Matt and I have a sorted history. But I am still supportive of new tail makers so long as they don't scam anyone.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Eric has always been the type to take all the credit over the years. Matty had a fb page up before where he showed some of his work but Eric made him take it down.

I think he has a unique opportunity where he knows the complaints people make about mertailor and knows how to address them in what he is creating.
    Seriously? Wow.....

And yes, I agree that Matt has a very unique opportunity. He knows the reasons people complain about the Mertailor. If he can continue to amaze us with his abilities AND be a nice guy he will be pretty much unstoppable!
    Find me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and my WEBSITE
    Formerly known as Madison Juliette

Banned
    Follow MermaidShannon On Twitter
    I think everyone deserves a chance to prove themselves in business. I wish them well, nothing wrong with having more options. Eden has charisma and matty has talent. If they can put the right magic into it it just may work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thoughts on Merrowfins? "New" Tailmaker

I finished the first season of "Face off" last night and I intend to start season 2 tonight. In the final episode of season 1, there was a contestant who chose "the little mermaid" as a theme. I thought of Matty and I believe he would have killed it in making the tale in real life with a background and all.. He definitely has talent.
    Last edited by Merman Arion; 10-01-2015 at 12:57 PM.

Been ready to list them on the up and coming section on the tailmakers page, just waiting to hear back from them for the info I need to make the listing

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

https://www.facebook.com/MerrowFins/...type=3&theater

So they are using the same method which have previously caused some problems with Mertailor products, thoughts of this guys? It looks like, though, that the silicone is cast to go through the holes, which I think wasn't the case f.ex. for the previous basic silicone which caused some problems, I understood it was just glued together through the holes? Looking forward to see how these monos move underwater and what kind of propulsion they have.
    Frosty Mermaid from the lonely Lapland <3

* Etsy * Youtube * Facebook * Instagram *

Banned
    Hopefully they actually have a tail made as merrowfins before you do a listing

Yeah, I think they do holes because they just don't know the trade secret for making it bond. Raven holds on to that one pretty tight. No holes in my monofins
    No separation, and no moving around.

As for listing, they do force people to have X amount of tails and reviews before a listing.

Banned
    Raina and your holes. Lol.

Yeah, I think they do holes because they just don't know the trade secret for making it bond. Raven holds on to that one pretty tight. No holes in my monofins
    No separation, and no moving around.

As for listing, they do force people to have X amount of tails and reviews before a listing.

She should make a nondisclosure form, then sell it and profit
    The SeaGlass Siren

I get why they'd add the holes, but do they need to be so big? Surely a couple of bitty holes here and there, even half the size, would serve the same purpose without decreasing the overall strength of the fin...? Related, does the "glue lace/mesh to the fin first" method NOT work over the long run, and that's why they don't use it? That would be good information for anyone considering going into tailmaking...
    Last edited by Dancing Fish; 10-02-2015 at 09:49 PM.
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

I'm so excited to see some of their creations! I've only seen repainted mertailor tails on their page so far except for this one...

Name:  merrowfins scales.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  554.8 KBName:  merrowfins.jpg
Views: 1145
Size:  395.2 KB

It's beautiful and the caption only said "Repainted Ms. Eden's tail". Does anyone know if this was made by Merrowfins?

that tail was made by Jessica Mer
    user formerly known as mermaidofthelabyrinth

I'm quite excited that he's recreating his old fluke-styles, there was this message:

" I've been asked to recreate some of my old designs, because people loved them, so they want the originals! I won't duplicate them, but I will do them better!
    Here's a few hints:

Every mermaid needs a pirate.
    You're gonna go GaGa for this tail.
    Let's make a splash!
    Turn over a new leaf. "

Can't wait to see the new pirate and leaf flukes!! <3

There's also some production pics of the tail he is making for one of the dive bar mermaids Looking good!

Name:  gghgh.JPG
Views: 749
Size:  29.9 KB

At merfest there were draws for free tails. As I understand it merfest paid the tail makers for the tails (I say that because Chris was organizing it over the phone while he visited here)

Mermaid Paige won a tail which was a huge deal because she's grown out of her original tail. I'm not sure the story behind why mertailor won't give her the tail she won but it's super sad to me to know that. I am glad merrowfins is picking up the slack!

Name:  gghgh.JPG
Views: 749
Size:  29.9 KB

At merfest there were draws for free tails. As I understand it merfest paid the tail makers for the tails (I say that because Chris was organizing it over the phone while he visited here)

Mermaid Paige won a tail which was a huge deal because she's grown out of her original tail. I'm not sure the story behind why mertailor won't give her the tail she won but it's super sad to me to know that. I am glad merrowfins is picking up the slack!
    Now I'm definitely curious as to why he's refusing to make her tail, especially if Merfest paid him for the tail. That seems incredibly skeevy (not to mention... Y'know, kind of illegal), even for Eric. Good on Matt for offering to make her tail for her, though! That's pretty rad of him.

Wow, that's just... wrong... Paige is such a sweet little mermaid. I'm also very curious what's behind all that..

Quote Originally Posted by Tieri View Post
    Now I'm definitely curious as to why he's refusing to make her tail, especially if Merfest paid him for the tail. That seems incredibly skeevy (not to mention... Y'know, kind of illegal), even for Eric. Good on Matt for offering to make her tail for her, though! That's pretty rad of him.

wow... Did he give a reason? Was it a situation where once he had the money, said something along the lines of "oh me? I never agreed to that? lol" Seriously for someone who gets so much press I really don't understand Eric.

I thought Mermaid Paige was a good promoter/supporter of the Mertailor as well? Like on the Mertailor site (before it was redone recently) there was at least one promo photo of her in a silicone tail.

Well, whatever the case may be, that is so sweet of Matt to make her a tail!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus