Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Designing a unique logo

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Designing a unique logo

I just want to encourage anyone who is planning on having their own logo for their professional mermaiding to actually have a unique logo. Dont take something from the internet and pretend it's yours, you'll get caught. There are so many amazing artists out there you can commission or even barter services with.

I want to share with you a few examples of some of the most commonly (mis)used images that I keep seeing pop up- fyi, altering it slightly doesnt make it yours. I've included links (where applicable) where you can purchase these images for your use

If you decide to go the stock image root instead of having someone make you something (or making it yourself) it can be very expensive to purchase the image so that YOU are the only person who gets to use it. More often then not artists will make more money by allowing many people to purchase rights and by charging a super lot more for exclusive rights. If you cant afford exclusive rights, you'll be seeing your image anywhere else- it's up for grabs!

this image from here http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs51/i/20...tanspawn80.png which is actually an adaptation of this one:

fromhttp://fc01.deviantart.net/fs46/f/2009/187/4/a/Mermaid_and_Scuba_Bird_by_aleksandracupcake.jpg

so you can see that image you think is free stock/line art actually isnt, it's traced from someone else's work.

so silly to steal these ones, you can PURCHASE THE RIGHTS HERE: http://www.123rf.com/photo_6756166_s...f-mermaid.html

this one can be PURCHASED through iStockphoto- though you need to be aware that you aren't purchasing from someone who is simply posting others work in an attempt to make a buck

Can be purchased through shutterstock

shutterstock

found here with many more images: http://vector-images.com/search.php?...&atype=clipart

thanks for posting this<3. i have seen this copy stuff often too. im trying to draw my own by the end of the week. im totally rushing it. bad idea. i got the idea but may get a local artist group in my area to help. i found that simple yet unique is the most recognizable with logos.i suggest putting it in the left corner of pics and other things done so it sticks and they see it later will recognize the product/service. like the mickey ears and disney font . the simple dove for dove soaps. all easily recognized.
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

Member Pod of Cali mermaidondine's Avatar
    I purchased my art through a site (I went the stock route) and I'm working on my logo and website right now. I personally don't mind that I don't have exclusive rights for now, as ideas always change and I may decide to switch it up later, but I'm actually really happy with how my logo is turning out so far :-)

On another note... If anyone needs any graphic or web design work done, I'm always happy to offer up my services! I've been designing and coding for about 8 years now - everything from banners/logos to avatars, signatures, and skins for roleplaying forums (IF & ProBoards), and full on websites... Here you can check out my tumblr with some samples.

Feel free to get in touch if you need some custom work done :-D

That is an excellent point Raina, also if you want to design your own be sure to research what other mermaids have done to get inspiration AND ensure you don't copy their logo's.

I also do logos and what not though I do not have the experience as you mermaidondine. I would love to see what you have~

~ Facebook ~ Youtube ~ Model Mayhem

Need a logo? Website? Business Card? Or anything else?
    "You are anything but ordinary, why look it?" E-mail or message me.

Member Pod of Cali mermaidondine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Sirena View Post
    I also do logos and what not though I do not have the experience as you mermaidondine. I would love to see what you have~
    You can check out my design Tumblr if you like! (http://thelunaticthelover.tumblr.com) It has some of my most recent work on it, although I have a couple more to add over the next few days

here an interesting concept, a mermaid, with sparkles, aroud int........
    sorta like when ariel in Under the Seaa witrh the fish, or how about sorta like when ariel becoame human... wait no thats a bad idea..... or a memraid kissing a fish........ i think there are alot of cute dieas for a logo

Well said Raina, I've been hard at work doing designs for Lilypad Lagoon and I'm very proud to say that we have a logo AND we website that was totally handmade using my original work.
    On that note, make sure you are watermarking all your videos and photos. Copyright is taken very seriously and if you've marked your stuff, it's easier to make a claim.

Be careful mers, there ARE people around that will try and screw you over by taking your hard work for themselves.

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Sitre Seer Moroaica's Avatar
    Follow Sitre Seer Moroaica On Twitter Add Sitre Seer Moroaica on Facebook
    Follow Sitre Seer Moroaica on Tumblr Visit Sitre Seer Moroaica's Youtube Channel
    I so want my own logo and have seen some (not even in the Mermaiding scene) with the same logos looks etc. It kinda of bothers me in a way and hope that when I do get the chance for my own site/logo that I want it to be completely unique towards me as a Mermaid and Model

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I commissioned an artist to make mine

RnaiR, I think the top one can be used for a simple t-shirt print you could sell, and the bottom one would be the one used on the website and maybe an official poster pic used at the show or something. Just my thoughts, not that it will amount to anythimg.

I need feedback on a logo. I designed and drew it, it's not professional par (I don't think) but I sort of need something to "tide me over" until I can afford logo services. What do you think?

EDIT: Just realized the spell checker changed the spelling in the web site. XP Fixed it!

Name:  Silhouettelogo.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  27.6 KB
    Last edited by Thalassa; 07-12-2012 at 12:25 AM.

It's cute! I like the graphic of you as a mermaid!
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

I can design logos for people! Just leave me a message on my profile and I will send you a logo design! first 10 to reply

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of the Great Lakes
    I drew my own. I think the coolest ones can be hand drawn and unique. Think, no one else is going to have the same style logo as you, and it can be done exactly how you want it! that's just my take..
    I have always imagined that paradise will be a kind of library. - Jorge Luis Borges
    Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Alice in Wonderland

formerly 'sophiadarling'

Thalassa I like it, it's a cute little logo that isn't bad to look at. I have one question though do you have it vectorized?

Hired a local to do my logo, the nice thing about small businesses is they're usually willing to negotiate prices. My designer would usually charge $500-1000 just for a logo. He met with me and realized I was a young person just trying to start a fun business and he dropped the price to $100 for me. These are the logos he's made:
    Name:  untitled.png
Views: 886
Size:  206.0 KB
    Name:  untitled2.png
Views: 833
Size:  191.2 KB
    Name:  untitled3.png
Views: 753
Size:  225.5 KB

I really like the first one and the last one Ayla.
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

I feel a combination of the middle & last would work best. Keep the font around the outside the same but flip the tail so that it didn't overlap Ayla at all.

Name:  Screen shot 2012-07-17 at 4.59.32 PM.png
Views: 841
Size:  95.1 KB

I like the thinner font, but I like having the tail in the picture!
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

That's exactly what I had him do. Thin font and the mermaid tail. Sirena, that's a really good idea! I never thought of flipping the fluke around. I'll ask him to try it.