I'm really hoping that you can help. I have looked briefly on the forums but haven't come across any clear cut answers to this question (if you know of any please link me as I may have just missed it).
I'm sure that other merfolk (especially those starting out or turning professional) would like this information too.

I have festivals and events coming up again soon where I am required to meet and greet the kids and also swimming and general entertaining (so some dry events only, and some wet and dry events).

I have done this before, but was recently told that I was UNDERcharging for my services (and found out later at one event that the other mermaids got paid 3 times the amount I charged, when I was on the whole day and they only a few hours so as you can tell I was a little bugged but on the upside I got to have a lot more fun)

I'm aware that privacy on how much people earn is important, but a VERY ROUGH 'ROUND-A-BOUT' STARTING BASE RATE PER/HOUR would be REALLY helpful. (not including Travel Expenses, Insurance, wear and tear).

also:
Do you charge extra for swimming at events? ie. tank performances etc..
Do you offer a discount for subsequent days booked? (ie. 2-3 day festivals)
Were you happy to do free or very discounted events just to help promote. (or did you still charge a minimum fee?)

Please note that I am not money hungry in any way, just want a fair deal (and yes, I do a lot of free performances)

On a side note: Did you charge more with a professional silicone tail than a fabric tail. Not that I'm comparing...as I have both and love them equally, just curious if upp'ing the rates when in a more expensive tail was the done thing.

p.s - this question is NOT to do with childrens parties, just festivals and events.