Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Want my mermaid creations tail- for Free?

I might as well put my name in. I'm based out of Hamilton, Ontario, and I would love to get a more realistic tail. I currently use a fin fun tail for swimming, (though I am slowly working on a sequinned tail) and it's difficult to bill myself as an attraction to people when what they see in photographs is the same costume that their children have. (We'll ignore that I also sing, tell stories, run educational workshops, teach and perform swimming tricks, spin poi, belly dance and in general have over a decade of character and performing experience).

i know that this is not the greatest tail in the world. I won't be disappointed if this tail doesn't fulfil my hopes and dreams. My spirit will not be crushed if this tail experience isn't perfection. It's a costume, and it's a tool, and it could be the thing that helps me get a leg up (fin up?) to create a stronger base for my business as well as help train me for the tail that could eventually fulfil all the aforementioned hopes and/or dreams.

As as for not-drowning-ness, I have been swimming since literally infancy. My mom has videos of me in baby swimming lessons, and we had a pool in the backyard when I was growing up. I would stay in the pool as long as I could physically stand it. My breath hold is about a minute, which I fully understand is probably going to go down trying to power a tail this heavy. However, most of my parties consist of very little swimming- it's difficult to do when kids love talking to me and hearing stories so much. Though on my own I love deep water, with kids I stick to the shallows. I also do land events, such as Renaissance festivals and conventions, and the risk of drowning at these is very minimal. However, the fabric tail really stands out at these events, as I am constantly on display and don't have water for camouflage.

Also, shipping in Canada is way cheaper than crossing a border.

Along with adding an extra little bit onto my original post, I would like to add that I would GLADLY trim the long nails i've worked oh so hard to grow out in an attempt not to poke the tail
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Haha that is a good point remember you can use a towel to help pull on a silicone tail so you don't scratch it.

Is it just me or are you other mers stalking this topic like crazy like I am? The suspense has me on edge.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    Is it just me or are you other mers stalking this topic like crazy like I am? The suspense has me on edge.
    Okay so I have this HUGE test tomorrow that I'm trying to study for, but this isn't making it very easy haha! I've literally been getting jitters which rarely happens
    formerly known as Kalani

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I'm probably gonna decide around the 24th after Iona has gone home

Speaking of that, how is she? Anything excited planned for the weekend for all of you guys?
    formerly known as Kalani

Junior Member Rocky Mountain Pod
    My pod - Utah Mermaids - suggested this to me and I'm grateful for a chance to reach out and say something.

My first big mermaid purchase actually went to Jesse. I live paycheck to paycheck and devote more money to my mermaids and my fabric tails than I should but I had a very wonderful person reach out to help me with that purchase. It's been almost a year and half since paying for that tail and I haven't heard from him since March. I wanted a refund so I could mold and cast my own tail now that I've been doing small amounts of prosthetic work in latex, silicone, and thermoplastics so I could help my other mermaids build tails and their own costumes or gear.

I've been a mermaid about 2 and a half years and have spent hours researching swimming styles and learning from the beautiful woman around me, in my pod and online. I'm a strong swimmer, have swam in surf and waves with ease in a velveteen tail and spend at least once a week practicing laps at the local pool.

I do this because it brings magic to my life and I do this because of the way children's eyes light up when they see me. I've always been attracted to that magic and one of the things I've struggled with as a performer was the legitimacy of my costume. I have gone through five tails since I began. I hand craft each one, paint each of them and have to retire them after a few months when I've put holes in the knees and in the heels.

I believe that I can breath life into that tail, with my know how of prosthetic and silicone I'd be able to refresh and refurbish. My measurements are just shy of what your tail is but even if I can't wear it or when I'm not it would be used as a training tool to teach others in my pod the differences between fabric and silicone. When I am able to one day upgrade to my own silicone tail, this skin would find its way to a new owner that needed it just as bad, just as my first tail has done.

Thank you, for this kind hearted opportunity.

Did you get your refund? If you haven't yet be sure to post in the thread!!!

I would like to be considered for this free tail giveaway on behalf of my company, The MerFriends.

The first reason I would like to be considered is the tail will fit more than one of my mermaids. The tail's measurements are just 1 inch bigger than 2 of my girls who are currently stuck using fabric tails, and would also fit me. That means three of us would be able to swim in this tail. You wouldn't just be gifting one person a tail, but a minimum of three.

The MerFriends is focused on water safety and drowning prevention, and this tail would assist us in promoting that message in several ways. All of our troupe members are excellent swimmers, certified lifeguards, and swim instructors, and we spend several hours each month in rehearsals perfecting our skills, routines, and so forth to ensure we are the best at what we do. Having a real silicone tail to work in (about half the troupe still use fabric tails) would increase our skills and allow us to explore without fear of damaging something custom made. It would also allow us to fully train troupe members in a silicone tail before they have one to ensure the performer's safety while in the tail. In addition, we would allow non-troupe members (who fit the measurements) to try it on who are interested in making that commitment to a "real" tail but want to test it out first. Not many people would buy a $1500 dress without trying it on, and yet that's what we do with tails. So, here would be a chance for some people to test out a tail to see if it's even something they want, something they can handle, in a safe and controlled environment. And since we didn't pay for the tail, we wouldn't charge anyone for that. It's a tail that needs to be shared in the name of safety!

As a professional performance troupe, we are in dire need of professional tails and have been actively seeking the least expensive ways to attain silicone tails. Fabric tails just don't stand up to scrutiny in our work. This tail would be used in professional appearances by our mermaids who don't have either a latex or silicone tail of their own yet- birthday parties, swim and smiles at the night club we are contracted at, safety day presentations at community pools, etc. It would allow those who are "in training" to graduate to full mermaids because they have a real tail. It would grant a source of income to some very hardworking and dedicated girls who are just WAITING for their chance to be that magical mermaid at someone's special event. We acknowledge the tail is not in perfect condition, but Merman Lir (troupe member) has proven himself to be very crafty and quite the gifted engineer. He has made his own latex tail, repaired my latex tail, and is diving into making a tail for one of the girls who needs one ASAP. I am confident he would be happy to work on it and help maintain it or even improve the appearance. I don't see any reason why this tail couldn't get another season or two of performances before being retired. Even as its appearance deteriorates, we could continue to use it for photoshoots in less than ideal locations, safety test swims, and for training new mermaids to handle silicone. I also spoke with our insurance agent, and he said we could insure it in its current condition (just a bit less coverage than a new, custom fit tail.) Also, any clients (who fit the measurements) who purchase a mermaid transformation package and want the Splash look could use this tail. It's such an iconic tail, and this would be a lovely one to photograph (with some editing, we understand.) This tail is not in perfect condition, but it has a long life and much still to give.

In conclusion, I hope you will consider gifting this tail to The MerFriends as we seek to be a service to the local mer-community, aide in the ongoing effort to raise awareness about water safety and drowning prevention, and allow new mermaids a chance to swim and earn a living in a real tail. Thank you for your consideration, and I know whoever receives this tail is receiving a HUGE blessing. Thank you for your kindness Raina!
    Laura the Mermaid of The MerFriends
    www.LauraLWatson.com
    www.TheMerFriends.com
    Info@TheMerFriends.com

Good luck everyone.

Raina - Thanks for this generous opportunity. You'll be making someone a very happy mer.

I really, really want to say that I NEED this tail, but I'm pretty sure the shipping would be insane to the UK. (I just looked it up, and actually, the shipping wouldn't be as bad as I had thought.)

My reasons are that, in raising my large family, I never have money to spend on things like this and I am getting older, not younger. *sigh* I've always loved mermaids. One of my earliest memories is of my best friend and I swimming with our ankles crossed, pretending we were mermaids.

But really, I run my own indie publishing company and create a lot of the book covers myself. One thing I am never quite happy with is photo-manipulating a tail onto someone. Having an actual tail would be perfect and make the covers for the mermaid books so much easier! I am about to publish a collection of short mermaid-themed stories and I am working on a "Daughters of Poseidon" series. (I can link you to the FB page for the series, if you'd like.) My books all tend to have an eco-theme to them, especially the Daughters of Poseidon series. (I also have a short story in another anthology about female superheroes in which the hero is a mermaid.) I am a strong swimmer, life guard trained and former swim team member. But it wouldn't always be me in the tail. For the photography for the book covers, I would use models and the photos would be above-ground.

But, no matter how much I could use this tail, and how much living paycheck to paycheck while my husband and I strive to provide for our family means I am unable to save for it, if I'm really fortunate and keep working hard, my publishing and other interests will take off money-wise and give me the extra income to start saving. And I have just read the other entries, and pretty much everyone requesting it deserves it. I can't wait to see who gets it. Hope they share pictures of themselves in it!
    Last edited by moonduster; 08-14-2015 at 02:29 PM.

OMG! I'm so excited to see that post! Having a mermaid tail actually one of my biggest dream!

Here is my story! I'm a girl from Turkey. I'm a cosplayer who really loves mermaids but I cannot afford silicone =( When I make my first costume It was a mermaid from the game caller League of Legends. I wanted to make her in silicone but you know it's quite expensive so I make her costume with scales. I apply around 8000-9000 scales by hand! It took me a while but I was so happy with the result! Here is the picture of the costume (https://www.facebook.com/LuthielaCos...type=3&theater ) That was like 1,5 year ago. Still I cannot afford silicone but I'm determine to make someday! So I train my self in that way. I know that I should be a good swimmer so I train myself everyday! Sometimes swimming other times do exercises! I'll be very very happy if I had the tail and I promise that I give lots of love to it <3

We don't have any mer-community in our country and actually they didn't know that people actually make their tails or buy them and swim in it! When I show them they suprise so much! If I had the tail that could inspire them too!! Omg! I'm so excited thats why they are so much exclamation mark

I hope someday everyone got their tails and I hope the one who has the tail gets great fun in that <3 Thank you so much for your kind offer <3

You fish aren't making this easy!! Haha thank you all for sharing your stories

I have been thinking it isn't easy to decide. I have been reading everyone's story and trying to guess who will be the most likely to get the tail and I am really not sure. A few mers are looking very likely right now with each one having very good points.

Whoever wins needs to do an unboxing video too. I have never done an unboxing video and I think most of the mers replying on here haven't either so that is also super exciting!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Junior Member North Pacific Pod
    hi , I was reading through the threads , I want a tail too , but im sending my best wishes , you get it . I cant think of a better reason then becoming closer to loved ones , good luck

Junior Member Pod of the Midwest Paula Smiley's Avatar
    Follow Paula Smiley On Twitter Add Paula Smiley on Facebook Add Paula Smiley on Google+
    I really want this tail because it's the only way I'll get my own silicone tail, condition is not a factor for me ! I don't get to swim that often and I would use it to entertain kids, hopefully someday I can swim in Raina's fins and visit kids in the hospital !

Follow Paula Smiley On Twitter Add Paula Smiley on Facebook Add Paula Smiley on Google+
    It's killing me.....the waiting is the hardest ! I can't emphasize enough, how much this would mean to me ! So many great mers wanting one tail, I feel like I don't have a scampis' s chance at a sushi bar ! Fins crossed !

Hello Mers while you wait here is a PNG I drew up of the mermaid tail for you all. You can use it to Photoshop over a picture of yourself to "wear" the tail in a sense. We all know only one person will get the real tail, so this is for us who don't get the tail. Of course whoever gets the real tail can use this picture as fanart.
    Name:  Raina's mermaid creation tail small.png
Views: 1266
Size:  341.5 KB
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants

great idea

I wish I had photoshop !

I don't have photoshop either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk