Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Longer Tail A'la Hook, H2O, Fishtails...

Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    Pearlie, if you would stop crashing around and throwing your molds and supplies on the floor, you might be less short in the future.
    Hahaha
    Almost done making my first ​tail!!! -progress pictures at http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?9784-Excited!-P-might-make-a-tail-tips&p=195098#post195098
    -Friends come and go like waves of the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on your face-Unknown

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Short or no, I agree.
    I love elongated tails and vertical flukes, but imo it cannot work.

If you plan to have your legs/feet like in that sketch, the flue will chop up and down as Keiris said.
    If the mechanism is supposed to move the fluke from side to side while in that position, you will move vertically in front (dolphinkick) and the fluke will somehow be moved horizontally.
    Now that will make for an awkward sight!
    And the eye is very quick to pick up unnatural movement.

In some other thread years ago, we talked about this too, and I brought up an example of a vertical-fluked mermaid.
    You can do this in SL with the right animation kit.
    Maybe I can upload a vid of said animation when my main PC can be salvaged, but however:

In said animation you can see the movement one would have to be able to do to swim with a vertical fin in a reasonable fashion.
    It's basically a dolphinkick done horizontally, which isn't possible with a human spine and knee joints.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Marinus Mortimer on Facebook
    Visit Marinus Mortimer's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    I apologize if I was short with you earlier. I was annoyed by other things, and had a pretty trying afternoon.

I would be interested in following if you do decide to explore this as a project.

Don't worry PearlieMae but I'm not making it vertical many the sketch looks that way but it's a horizontal extension I'm aware that my spine is not mention to move like that , Keiris I doo want it to swim right I'm a competitive freediver here in P.R. so I'm mostly going to use my tails at sea, so an efficient propulsion mechanism would be ideal, I don't want to die (but I would die happily at sea) I'm trying to upload the other sketches of the prototype models. many those would look more practical.

And again PearlieMae don't worry about it, I'm like one of your biggest fans, and I love your work and adore the unique style of your art.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Pod of New England
    Name:  IMAG0305_1.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  57.6 KB this looks like the typical extension but it's made or will be made out of Polycarbonate plastic sheet , I added the spring because I think it could add stability, plus I can imagine that when I kick the spring will aid in the kick (open to any suggestions), Name:  IMAG0306_1_1.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  74.9 KB in between (1) and (2) the stainless steel spring will be located.
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Pod of New England
    This is the reverse version of the first one I posted non of these are supposed to be vertical.
    Name:  IMAG0309_1.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  47.8 KB

And this one is my latest sketch I'm still working on it, trying to figure out the spring mechanism for the inside of the prototype where the two pieces meet. Still got some thinking to do.Name:  IMAG0307_1.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  54.3 KB
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Don't think in terms of coiled springs. Think leaf springs, like in a car suspension system...flat pieces of spring steel, maybe two or three layered...

https://www.google.com/search?q=leaf...IVze-ACh1Naw2h

Pod of New England
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    Don't think in terms of coiled springs. Think leaf springs, like in a car suspension system...flat pieces of spring steel, maybe two or three layered...

https://www.google.com/search?q=leaf...IVze-ACh1Naw2h
    I really can't imagine how a leaf spring would work on this but with your brains I bet that you'd make it work. but what i was trying to say is, imagine a coil spring that you push down it pushes up and vise versa it should look something like this.

Name:  th (1).jpeg
Views: 297
Size:  11.2 KB

inside of the red area
    Name:  IMAG0307_1.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  61.1 KB
    Marinus Mortimer
    formerly known as:
    Merman Marinus