Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Longer Tail A'la Hook, H2O, Fishtails...

Now to find out how they attached the fluke to the foot part...

But then what's that pole made out of o.O
    Lol this seems to be raising more and more questions!!
    Check out my Blog
    Shop on my Etsy
    Like my Facebook

the pole has to be something flexible enough that it looks good in the water but nice and sturdy so it doesn't break....but what? and how?
    if this gets figured out i am going to be so amazed. :P

They made it out of nylon rod, I think like this stuff.

I know this got kinda forgotten, but...did this ever go anywhere?

I've got a project going for an extended lexan tail, but I haven't done much work on it this winter because of school stuff. This thread has reminded me of it, though. Perhaps I shall work on it eventually...

Mermaid Photine
    Previously known as Memaid Pandorah

I tried to research the Hook tails when I first started as a mer. I didn't find hide nor hair besides who painted them. It was aggravating, they are still some of my favorite tails EVER. The shapes and the extra fins were beautiful and I always love the color matching of the mers, especially the green one.
    ~A mermaid found a swimming lad, picked him for her own, pressed her body to his body,and made the sea their home~

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    yes that tail does look very realistic. Perhaps its not a rod at all maybe it's just silicone. if you think about it silicone is very flexable in the water especially soft silicone. when i was looking at the picture i just got the feeling that it was made out of silicone and not have a rod extension. im currently experimenting something like this for my tail. it wasnt origianlly intended however i made some critical errors that this is the only way i can create it without wasting product. my aim is to ensure my feet do not show in mine but will see how it all works out. if i have any success with my method i will post here. PS. my tail will be inspired by the h20 tails, well.... the fluke part anyways. i will not be using a rod as my brain can't figure out how to create a foot plate that attaches to a rod. this is something in 100% sure on.

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    North Pacific Pod

Oregon. Home of bipolar weather and rain in 30 degree weather.
    Add SIF on Facebook
    Visit SIF's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Star View Post
    I looked on IMDB and it appears that a SFX company called Cannom Creations may have made the tails. I know that they painted them at the very least. That is the best thatI could find on the matter though
    JBM FX Studios did the tails for Aquamarine, H2O and Fishtales. They're located in Gold Coast, Queensland Australia and do not respond to questions, unless you have the 25,000 lying around waiting for purchase(as a customer).

Junior Member Pod of Cali Paige Silvertail's Avatar
    If you figure this out, could you give me some tips? I'm thinking about trying to design an H2o style tail as well. I love the length and movement of those tails - they look so real!

Also, I was thinking about how everyone says they are really hard to swim in because they weigh, like, eighty pounds. But what if you did the inside in neoprene, like the original, but did the outer "skin" with fabric and sequins, Hannah Fraser style? It would still look real, and it would make the overall weight of the tail a lot less extreme. Just an idea, I haven't made a tail like that before.
    Last edited by Paige Silvertail; 01-05-2014 at 11:49 PM.

@Mermaid Olivia, I believe I've seen a picture somewhere of someone who created an extended fabric tail. It looked pretty nice

I really do not think most people are capable of swimming in an 85 lb tail much less at the local pool. The H20 actresses were coached for months and literally carried under water by divers. Most people dont have divers to carry them You might be biting off a LOT More than you can chew.
    The easiest way would be to make a tail around a $500 Lunocet monofin to add a few inches
    Name:  lunocet-cycling-shoes-flipper-for-swimming.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  25.7 KB
    Or make a substitute yourself with Flexar Travel fins and Lexan
    Name:  extended monofin.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  90.0 KB

http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...555#post102555

Either one of these options will only add a few inches of extension though. Not nearly as long as the tails you mentioned from the media. Bear in mind tails already make people 7 1/2 - 8 feet long (by adding a 2 foot fluke to your body). If you are also adding a 2 foot pvc pole/plate with a foot plate/peddle bonded to that where can you swim with all that? Do you have a large lake nearby and a helper to assist you to maneuver? You can NOT stand on one of those stilt like extensions, you'd have to be carried! Do you really think you could even manage being 9 1/2 - 10 feet long and incapable of standing? ???
    Last edited by Mermaid Oshun; 01-09-2014 at 08:11 AM.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    ^^That's true.
    I'm 6'11 without tail, and I have big problems finding places to swim in without bumping my fluke (or feet even, for that matter).

Also, my snaketails are slightly elongated, and they're hard to swim in because the extra fabric takes in so much water and then drags.
    The lunocet is your best bet at a longer tail, but it would be hard to fit into a tail because of the cycling shoes.

do you use a Lunocet Caltuna?

The new Mako Mermaids tails as said in the behind the scenes, are closer to 30 lbs./12 kilos. They're much lighter, still not practical for every day use quite, but definitely a lot better. Not sure how they're made lighter though, haha!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Golden Pearl View Post
    do you use a Lunocet Caltuna?
    No, I'd love to have one though if it really swims the way they say.
    Sceptical about the shoes as well (which I don't have either xD )

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Cal, You're 6' 11"?

Or 6' 1"?

Either way, You're TALL!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    Cal, You're 6' 11"?

Or 6' 1"?

Either way, You're TALL!
    On Model Mayhem, I put in my numbers (181cm) and they show my height as 6'11.
    However, I just googled, and I found conflicting statements for 181cm to being 5'9, 5'11, or 6ft,
    apparently depending on the hour and whose territory you are in, and how many natives you managed to slaughter since arriving on the new continent.

(Not really, but you get my point. I've no idea whether the US measurements are just so unlogical no one really understands them, but I'm 181cm tall, so make your own calculation )

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Hahaha! You're cracking me up there, Stretch!
    (I'm 5'4")