Thread: New wannabe mermaid!

Senior Member Pod of Cali leeloo's Avatar

New wannabe mermaid!

Hi everyone, I am new to this community and looking to become a mermaid! I've been trying to find the best mermaid tail for the money and have been having a hard time. I was thinking about buying a realistic tail from Mertailor but I've seen so many different opinions on these tails I'm wondering if they are worth it. BUT I really like the look of the tails and feel they look so much more realistic than fabric tails. I would LOVE a silicone tail, but cannot afford one and even if I had the money I'm not sure I can justify spending $2000 plus on a tail when I could be using that money to pay off my car or something like that. Anyways, if anyone has any suggestions or makes tails themselves I'd greatly appreciate any info! Thanks!

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    Hello Leeloo!

You might want to think about making yourself or buying a fabric tail for now. The magictail ones have a nice pattern on them.
    I bought a monofin first to see if I could even swim with my feet bound together and it's really cool. I love my rapid.
    I don't really have any experience sewing but it wasn't too hard to make a spandex tail after that. There's multiple helpful tutorials out there. If you buy four way spandex instead of two way you don't have to measure as much either (which I wish I had known starting out). You just pin it around yourself and sew it.

I love my fabric tail and the way it moves but I am planning on making myself a latex tail eventually. I'm just going to take my time with my research so I can be sure it's the tail I really want.

Good luck getting started! Do you have any color preference or patterns you like? Where are you from?

LOTS of great topics on this at this forum. you will save money,have fun, and know how to fix any problems you get. so glad you came here =)
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

Senior Member Pod of Cali leeloo's Avatar
    Thank you guys! And thank you ShyMer for the four way spandex tip. I was trying to make a tail for Halloween and kind of messed it up when attempting to put in a zipper. I think I'll just forget the zipper next time! Do you know if any stores like Jo-Ann Fabrics sell the four way spandex? That's where I bought materials before. Oh and I live in Orange county.

I found a store online called Spandex World. JoAnn's has a very limited line of swim fabrics, so online warehouse stores work better. This place also let me pick about 15 fabrics I liked & sent me swatches free of charge so I could see & feel them before I spent $10 a yard on them. Also, I learned to avoid the glittery fabrics - they look pretty, but the glitter rubs off after a while & you get discolored spots around the fins.