Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Corset wearing mers?

Junior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Meraki's Avatar
    awful picture of my of mohawk and face! lol This is my first steel-boned and I absolutely LOVE it. It's so comfortable! I kind of want to embellishName:  10488237_10204231702504963_5456847106234139753_n.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  9.6 KB it with crystals or something to make it more mermaid-ish.Name:  11052026_10204230086024552_8553994147300866576_n.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  75.8 KB
    Last edited by Mermaid Meraki; 09-07-2015 at 02:08 AM. Reason: just to add another photo

I tightlaced for a year of so, and still do when my back is giving me issues, but it's not nearly as often. I adore the look of it though, and yours are really pretty!
    Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty

I actually started on my own corset yesterday my busk arrived today!

I have a couple, but I don't waist train. I just love the look and feel of them

i have an odd question but i am not sure what i should google to find the answer? my friend and i are thinking about waist training, but wondering if it is possible to train in a specific spot? like, obviously the focus is usually the curve of a person, the rib area, but i was wondering if it was possible that maybe to slowly train only the bottom part? like maybe only tighten the lower part of the corset while keeping the rest rather loose? is that a thing?

(is this the wrong thread to ask this? i am sorry if it is, i didn't see a more appropriate thread but maybe i missed it? if someone knows the name of it and would be ok telling me i will delete this and put it in the correct one.)
    User formerly known as "LittleBlue222".

I think what you're looking for is a waist cincher, but I'm not entirely sure.
    user formerly known as mermaidofthelabyrinth

that makes sense, but would i be able to do similar training method as with corset training? or does it take a different method entirely?
    User formerly known as "LittleBlue222".

Senior Member Pod of Texas
    Pod of The South
    In the general area of Webster and Clear Lake in Texas
    I don't do waist training but I have five steel boned ones that I will wear at conventions and renaissance faires. Two of them go from the nape of my neck to my hips in the back, and I have, in fact, taught myself to lace myself in. Takes some work, but i can manage. For the other three, one is an underbust and the other two are overbust. My girls are a tad big, so one of the overbust ones is actually a size larger than my others, just so my boobs don't go and escape. I don't have any custom made ones, but I want one someday! I can't post pics on here, it has something to do with how my computer files things or something, but mine are each a different color. I count the underbust one as green, even though it's reversible green and blue.
    Swamp fish noises intensify

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lunette View Post
    i have an odd question but i am not sure what i should google to find the answer? my friend and i are thinking about waist training, but wondering if it is possible to train in a specific spot? like, obviously the focus is usually the curve of a person, the rib area, but i was wondering if it was possible that maybe to slowly train only the bottom part? like maybe only tighten the lower part of the corset while keeping the rest rather loose? is that a thing?

(is this the wrong thread to ask this? i am sorry if it is, i didn't see a more appropriate thread but maybe i missed it? if someone knows the name of it and would be ok telling me i will delete this and put it in the correct one.)
    Do you mean only cinch in at the upper hip? or at the waist? Because corsets actually don't cinch in at the ribs but at the natural waist, corsets that pull the ribs in also are of a special shape called conical which pulls in the floating ribs also.

I know Little Orca/Merlissa rocks daily wear corsets!
    Sadly I can't wear them. Stupid organs doing stupid things.. stupid muscles being dysfunctional too. I have a nice flat-steel boned under bust, I can't even lace it snug anymore. Boo!

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

I LOVE wearing corsets, but I don't have any at the moment. I usually just borrow them from friends. But my boyfriend is planning on getting me a few for Christmas! I'm so excited!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Saelyyia's Avatar
    Follow Saelyyia On Twitter Add Saelyyia on Facebook
    Follow Saelyyia on Tumblr
    Hey folks, I also am a corset wearing Mer! I have been waist training on and off for about 3 years now and I absolutely love my corsets. My favorite being my Josephine by Isabella corsetry. I have several others from various other makers too but that one is the one nearest and dearest to my heart.

Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic

Oh hey, I wear corsets as well. Lately I've been trying to sell at least one of my two (a medication I'm on made me balloon) so I can get a new one that fits. I've always been curious though. What all is waist training about? As in, what are it's supposed results?
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    Mernetwork Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Lorelei View Post
    Oh hey, I wear corsets as well. Lately I've been trying to sell at least one of my two (a medication I'm on made me balloon) so I can get a new one that fits. I've always been curious though. What all is waist training about? As in, what are it's supposed results?
    Basically from my understanding, when you're waist training you are training your waist to go smaller and smaller (so like when you start out with a certain sized corset and you want to get your waist down to a certain size/ fit into a certain sized corset) I could be wrong tho because I always get waist training and tightlacing mixed up since to me they're just the same thing.

Yeah I consider tight lacing and waist training to be the same also.
    Mermaid Aine ​(pronounced Anya)
    of The Mermaids of the Great Salt Lake
    And you sang "Sail to me, Sail to me, Let me enfold you, Here I am, Here I am
    Waiting to hold you"
    Song to the Siren-Jeff Buckley
    https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thismemaidsjourney
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAine
    http://mermaidsofgsl.wixsite.com/mermaids
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidaine

I love my corset. I'm planning on getting more soon. From my understanding the differece between tight lacing and waist training is that tight lacing may be done for short periods of time for a temporary desired effect. This might be for a costume or some other desired reason. Waist training is more long term and involves slowly cinching tighter over a longer period of time to achieve a more sustainable effect.
    Where tight lacing and waist training can occur at the same time, they don't always. I cinch down to 28-29 inches regularly to wais train (unlaced I am about 30 inches), but if I really yanked I could get to 26 inches, though not comfortably.
    Also, as for "target training" it isn't really recommended to cinch one area tighter than any other. Ideally the gap in the back (or sometimes front) is parallel all the way down. It can be kind of hard. I'm the slightest bit more pear than hourglass, so I gravitated toward closing the gap at the top and having a 1-2 inch gap at the bottom before I figured it out. Uneven lacing puts unnecessary stress on bones and laces, which causes wear and sometimes warping.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    Whilst I don't specifically wear corsets yet I'm very eager to get into them. Mizuko has been so helpful answering all my annoying questions and directed me to the most helpful site EVER and I'm hoping to buy one from them eventually. It probably wouldn't be an every day thing, but just something to wear under cosplays or fancy outfits to make me look a little slimmer

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Miranda View Post
    I love my corset. I'm planning on getting more soon. From my understanding the differece between tight lacing and waist training is that tight lacing may be done for short periods of time for a temporary desired effect. This might be for a costume or some other desired reason. Waist training is more long term and involves slowly cinching tighter over a longer period of time to achieve a more sustainable effect.
    Where tight lacing and waist training can occur at the same time, they don't always. I cinch down to 28-29 inches regularly to wais train (unlaced I am about 30 inches), but if I really yanked I could get to 26 inches, though not comfortably.
    Also, as for "target training" it isn't really recommended to cinch one area tighter than any other. Ideally the gap in the back (or sometimes front) is parallel all the way down. It can be kind of hard. I'm the slightest bit more pear than hourglass, so I gravitated toward closing the gap at the top and having a 1-2 inch gap at the bottom before I figured it out. Uneven lacing puts unnecessary stress on bones and laces, which causes wear and sometimes warping.
    I had that problem too! Sadly I didn't notice it until my corset was warped beyond saving (also, my corset was apparently patterned wrong? because the busk was so freaking lopsided and the corset pressed on one side of my hips more than the other side so as I started to lace tighter, it started to hurt from the pressure)

I can only get a few inches down because I don't have any squish at all (24 in natural waist and very athletic build) and the problem with being pear shaped, no otr corset can fit me correctly for a good cinch that's also comfortable and custom is waaay out of my price range at the moment.

I think one of my hips is higher than the other, which always ends up making my busk a little lopsided. I've heard getting adjusted by a chiropractor can help with more minor issues, but for bigger problems or spine curvature custom pattern is definitely the way to go. I'm lucky that my pear is super small, only a few inches difference top to bottom, so o.t.r. corsets will do for me. I'm too cheap for a custom one at the moment.
    Random side note...anyone thought of adapting a corset for mermaiding? Definitely plastic bones, but could it be feasible?

I've thought about using one for dry events to add a bit of modesty.
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    Mernetwork Moderator