Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Corset wearing mers?

Also for anyone wanting to buy right now, Orchard Corset (Usually just abbreviated OC) is having a sell, 15% off everything with the code fallfrenzy!
    Only good till Oct 13
    https://www.orchardcorset.com/corset...eid=223e8681c6

Triton knows I made the mistake of trying to switch between running shoes and ballroom dance pumps that buckle in a corset. So lucky I didn't break a bone.
    As for pants I've learned to pull them halfway up, then corset, then pants the rest of the way. I almost always stealth my corset, though.

Do you ladies prefer wearing corsets underneath your clothing or flaunt gorgeous decorative ones on top? I have a relative who rocks simple corsets as a statement piece
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    I would wear mine (when I get it) exclusively underneath clothes and costumes just because I'd only want to look skinnier in nice things haha.

I do not wear corsets and I don't have a problem with them at all. However, I do have a bit of a problem with this "waist training". This is a trend I'm seeing becoming more and more popular and I feel that it is promoting unnatural beauty standards. Those of you who are waist training, how do you feel about this?

I've heard that it is extremely damaging body and bone-wise as well, but of course this was just through the internet that I found this. Maybe it only occurs in growing bodies? In any case I worry because rib damage can impair swimming and respiratory abilities. However, I am interested in the practice itself!
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Senior Member Pod of The South saborigakusei's Avatar
    I don't and probably won't waist train but I personally have no problems with it. I think it just needs to be understood that those who waist train do so because they like the way they look and NOT to fit society's beauty standards, to be pleasing to men, or other damaging reasons like that.

I personally believe that corset trained waists should not be looked at in any way as a normal aesthetic. It is an extreme and I think that when people start accepting these extremes as normal that it is damaging to women without an hourglass figure, who start to wonder why they aren't normal/attractive when they actually are. If that makes sense.

All the waist trainer's I've seen seem to do it because they love it, not to put down other body types or anything like that.

I probably won't ever use it to try and permanently alter my waist size, but I love love love wearing corsets and encourage all who love them to do so! ^^

If you are informed and careful in waist training practice, there should be NO damage to the body. Including ribs and internal organs. One of the most common things I heard when doin my research is that if somethin hurts or you are having trouble breathing something is wrong and the corset should come off right away. The point of waist training is to go slowly so your body can acclimate to the changes and if you think about how much and how quickly a female body changes to accommodate pregnancy, it isn't that weird.
    I started, actually, with a Lycra girdle with four bones to help smooth things out under a formal dress. I loved how it made me feel, all tucked in and kind of like I was wearing armor. Then I had a few costume corsets from Fredricks and, while they are fun for short term, they are in no way meant for waist training. The bones are plastic, there is only one layer of fabric, and frankly if I wear it longer than an hour or two it starts to feel off.
    In my OC, I wear it tight enough that I feel comfortable and maybe a 1/16 of an inch tighter. I can still eat, still move, still breathe. If I wear it for a long time it starts to chafe against my hips and that is usually when I take it off. It should only move your floating ribs, the ones at the very bottom, and again very slowly.
    In my mind it is like any other form of body modification. Like tattoos or piercings or dying your hair. It's like braces.
    i do this for me, not for anyone else. I have no desire to have some reidiculous 16 inch waist. I'm stopping at 26 and considering how squishy I am, I'm nearly there even with a 30 inch uncorseted waist.
    it isn't necessarily for everybody and some people will take it to an extreme, but I found that even during the Victorian era, when people were going crazy about tiny waists there are very few extant dresses that measure fewer than 20 inches. Many are more in the 24-26 inch range. They were just really good at making your hips and shoulders look bigger so your waist appeared tiny by comparison.
    Last edited by Mermaid Miranda; 10-07-2015 at 11:01 AM.
    “I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.

I do not think that they will sing to me.”
    T.S. Eliot, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

I've wanted a corset for a couple years now, and I think I'm finally gonna get one. I need one for my halloween costume, so that'll be my excuse haha
    "The cure for anything is saltwater: sweat, tears, or the sea​" ~Isak Dinesen

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Corsets create an hourglass shape yes but corsets are not contributing to our society's obsession with female beauty standards. If anything they challenge them. Corsets are not mainstream.

Handle the media's portrayal of "ideal women" and the rest will follow. Like how I thought I was fat and therefore "ugly" at ten because children are played by teens and teens are played by adults in most tv shows. Hint: I didn't have hips at ten.

Who cares what body mods other people are doing?

As a very socially conscious feminist, I think corsets are an empowering article of clothing for women (and men) and I think the widespread use is if anything a symptom of media and societal pressure and not of corsets existing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've wanted to for a long time but like many others, I has no moolah.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Saelyyia's Avatar
    Follow Saelyyia On Twitter Add Saelyyia on Facebook
    Follow Saelyyia on Tumblr
    Lovelyrats does do amazing work. I absolutely love her work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Momo View Post
    Has anyone here continuously made the mistake of putting on corset before pants/ shoes? Because I know I do a lot
    I do this all the time! Mostly with my boots as I don't wear pants really unless I am at work. You would think after 5 years I would remember to lace the heels up first and then cinch but nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
    Do you ladies prefer wearing corsets underneath your clothing or flaunt gorgeous decorative ones on top? I have a relative who rocks simple corsets as a statement piece
    I do a bit of both but usually I wear my corsets over my clothes as I have designed and made most of my clothes to be worn that way.

Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic

I usually wear my corsets over my clothes, unless I am waist training, thus wearing it to work, at work I wear them under my clothes.
    As far as corsets lending to unnatural beauty standards, I actually waist train, not to become thinner, but to change the shape of my body. I do not have a waistline and I do not have hips. I have an inverted triangle body, or an apple. I like the look of having curves, hips and a waist, that is why I like to wear corsets. I love the vintage look of pinup girls of the 40's and 50's, back when women rocked their curves. That is the look that I like to go for when I am wearing a corset. I have not waist trained for a few years, because honestly, its not the easiest thing to do, but I do still love to wear my corsets when I want to appear more curvy, or when it just completes my outfit perfectly.
    Mermaid Aine ​(pronounced Anya)
    of The Mermaids of the Great Salt Lake
    And you sang "Sail to me, Sail to me, Let me enfold you, Here I am, Here I am
    Waiting to hold you"
    Song to the Siren-Jeff Buckley
    https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thismemaidsjourney
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAine
    http://mermaidsofgsl.wixsite.com/mermaids
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidaine

Quote Originally Posted by Saelyyia View Post
    Lovelyrats does do amazing work. I absolutely love her work.

I do this all the time! Mostly with my boots as I don't wear pants really unless I am at work. You would think after 5 years I would remember to lace the heels up first and then cinch but nope.

I do a bit of both but usually I wear my corsets over my clothes as I have designed and made most of my clothes to be worn that way.

Gorgeous!
    Mermaid Aine ​(pronounced Anya)
    of The Mermaids of the Great Salt Lake
    And you sang "Sail to me, Sail to me, Let me enfold you, Here I am, Here I am
    Waiting to hold you"
    Song to the Siren-Jeff Buckley
    https://www.tumblr.com/blog/thismemaidsjourney
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAine
    http://mermaidsofgsl.wixsite.com/mermaids
    https://www.instagram.com/mermaidaine

I saw some beautiful corsets at a local con a year ago but unfortunately they had already sold the ones in my size.

I am interested in corsets just because I think they are so beautiful. I want one to wear over clothes. I definitely could benefit from it supporting my back when I am working several hours at the computer on graphic design work.

This has been a great topic to read!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Corset wearing mers?

Oh gosh I'm so close to buying one "it's for a mermaid costume. Ooh this is a real corset! I thought it was a costume! Well it'll be more durable this way huh mom & dad?" *stealths*
    It's a nice real color too so it would match my new tail...

Last edited by Mermaid Wesley; 10-29-2015 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Wesley View Post
    Oh gosh I'm so close to buying one "it's for a mermaid costume. Ooh this is a real corset! I thought it was a costume! Well it'll. D more durable this way huh mom & dad?" *stealths*
    It's a nice real color too so it would match my new tail...

haha dooooo ittt, Join us on the dark side

Also, I may or may not be making my first ever handmade corset... It's denim with fashion fabric overlay

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Momo View Post
    haha dooooo ittt, Join us on the dark side

Also, I may or may not be making my first ever handmade corset... It's denim with fashion fabric overlay
    I'm gonna if I still can by Friday when I get paid. (My phone almost typed laid and I'm dying)

And that sounds super pretty!!

Not a real corset but I wore one with my mermaid tail for a shoot. Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1446128816087.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  76.3 KB
    I think for dry gigs it would be a great investment. Makes it sit straighter, and gives you a pirate feel. (I added a starfish to the side of mine made out of silicone)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
    Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    How did I miss this? I adore corsets! I do not waist train, but I love wearing them. The touch of them and the sensation of being hugged is the best in the clothing-wearing world.

I currently have 7, two underbusts, and the rest are overbusts. They come mostly from OC and Corsets UK (a subsidiary of Corset Story). My two steampunk corsets are my favorites.

Name:  corset.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  554.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by RastaMer View Post
    I do not wear corsets and I don't have a problem with them at all. However, I do have a bit of a problem with this "waist training". This is a trend I'm seeing becoming more and more popular and I feel that it is promoting unnatural beauty standards. Those of you who are waist training, how do you feel about this?
    I feel no different than when a person wants to have tattoos or bigger holes in the ears. Waist training is a type of body modification, and people do it because they want to. I would not have a tattoo because it is not my thing, but if another person wants one, who am I to say anything? It is their body. Same thing with waist training.

And it may be trendy, but all the articles I have seen on the issue is basically the reporter putting on a corset, lacing it as tight as she possible can and then dropping the experiment 3 days later saying she can't understand how people do it. If they are doing it wrong to begin with, how can they possibly understand?

I think people who genuinelly like corsets approach them knowing what to do, what to expect and how to wear them safely and without risks. People wanting corsets because the Kardashians wear them will drop them fast, same as the journalists. Corseting requires patience, time, dedication and also money.
    Last edited by Talia; 10-29-2015 at 02:29 PM.