Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Corset wearing mers?

I lace myself in! When I get home tomorrow, I'll make a video of me lacing myself down.

Quote Originally Posted by theAfanc View Post
    I am just so overwhelmed o.o. She kept talking about getting a custom on but I can't find makers or prices anywhere and I am terrified to get one OTR because I don't know what I'm doing and like o.o gah

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Is it your first corset? for firsts I'd suggest an OTR because you might not know if corsetting is for you and why spend all that money for a custom just to find that out? Do you know your measurements? (also most customs tend to be $100+ at the moment, and that's for a waspie so if you want something longer than a waspie like and underbust I've seen prices starting at $200)

Corset wearing mers?

I have an OTR I bought from Amazon that I believe is plastic boning. I bought it for a costume I am working on. Most an over bust and pretty freaking uncomfortable. I actually bought a large thinking it would fit and I had to LaCie so loosely the modest panel in the back didn't even cover the whole laces. It was more expensive to ship it back for an exchange so I just bought a second XL. I want an underbust to start gentle wrist training.

I measured this morning and I believe I was a 42ish hips and a 36ish waist.

The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Senior Member Pod of Cali Saelyyia's Avatar
    Follow Saelyyia On Twitter Add Saelyyia on Facebook
    Follow Saelyyia on Tumblr

Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic

Thank you for all the info! I'll look into that website for sure!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    cats cats cats...whats up with those things?

Formerly known as jayy

So here's a few pictures of mine which I decided to start seasoning properly today. Don't think I did too bad with the lacing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I corset! Not as often as I'd like to but I'm contemplating getting back into some gentle waist training this winter because chilly weather is so perfect for wearing an extra layer (& easy to hide under thick, cozy sweaters!).

For me, corseting is all about the support and smooth line it gives. Put on a corset and boom, anything else you wear looks amazingly better, and quite often feels more comfortable, because you have such perfect posture. I use underbust corsets because I love the ability to use whatever bra I want, especially strapless, and the figure it creates is classy yet modern. I'm super fortunate to be flexible enough to lace myself in (I've never had help getting into my corsets), and even complete tasks like putting on my shoes afterwards, haha.

In my opinion "waist training" is very gentle, gradual reduction of your natural figure. It is not extreme unless you do it for so long that you get down into wasp-waisted measurements. Personally that's not my thing, but if someone is doing it correctly and not interfering with their body's function, whatever. "Tight-lacing" brings to mind the lace-down-as-much-as-you-can-stand for a temporary look, and certainly has the potential to be harmful if done incorrectly.

I think it's very sad that corseting gets such a bad rap when it's misunderstood. Yes, you have to know what you're doing, same as every other "advanced" hobby. Nowadays you need to do your research and make sure you're buying a quality piece. You need to be patient. Really, when corseting is done correctly there should only be health benefits, never harm. I tend to be more alert and energetic, thanks to the enforced good posture. Even laced my tightest I've never had issues with singing (deep breathing!) or eating as much as I wanted. And while a proper steel-boned corset is definitely not your friend during most workouts, I have worn them during general work and heavy lifting (boxes, etc), and all it made me do was lift with my legs exactly as I should have been doing anyway. Plus I could rest things against my busk without my ribs being crushed! It really is like wearing secret armor through the day.

I'm a small person and I don't have much "squish", so I don't get a lot of reduction from my corsets, but honestly that's not what I want, so I'm kind of happy that my OTR corsets work for me without letting me go "too far". 4 years ago & pre-baby I could lace down to 22-23", and I could tell that my waist could have gone smaller, but my hips and ribs were preventing the corset from going smaller. I was okay with that because it would have been even harder to find (and make) clothes that fit. Now I've lost my baby-weight but my tummy is not the same as it was... it's time to start training again, haha.

4 years ago I was actually waist-training for my wedding, and then, a week before my wedding, I came down with chicken pox. Yeah. Corset not happening. Nothing from my original wedding dress plans happening!! (ended up getting married barefoot, though, which is kind of awesome in itself) So, I fell away from the waist-training, just started getting back into it, and got pregnant, so my body started it's own 9-month waist training program, lol. I wish I could have jumped right back into waist-training after pregnancy, I'm sure it would have helped my figure, but I just didn't see how it would have worked with nursing a newborn. (Fine silken undergarments they care not about.) Now it's just a matter of finding the time to lace up during the morning. Ugh. ...So I've gotten into mermaiding to help my midsection, yay!!

Due to life's surprises, I have two gorgeous unused Timeless Trends brand corsets up for grabs. Both are standard-length underbust, one is size 20 (pewter satin) and the other a 24 ("ice metal" fashion silk fabric). (They are not the brand-new curvy style corsets from TT, obviously) I'm hoping to get close to what I paid for them, and I really want them to go to a home where they'll be used and appreciated properly. Please send me a message if you're interested. Thank-you!!

I don't think I've heard anyone else mention Timeless Trends in this thread. I loved seeing the videos that Lucy (of the YouTube channel) posted recently, when she got to go to their factory and help design the new corset patterns! It made me feel good about continuing to support and recommend them. They do high-quality OTR peices and have a huge variety! Their selection just keeps improving. Anyone else have experience with them? =)

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    gUESS WHAT I HAVE!!!

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 9.40.48 PM.png
Views: 626
Size:  589.0 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 9.41.25 PM.png
Views: 666
Size:  528.5 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 9.41.37 PM.png
Views: 689
Size:  807.1 KB

it feels WEIRD. And its not crooked, btw. I am. (scoliosis)

I think i laced down too tight at first, despite thinking it was only snug and i started not feeling good, so i loosened it up a bit and took these pics. I've been wearing it for about 20 minutes and its weird but not bad.
    hooray!

Edit: im wearing it in a public bathroom because i couldn't help putting it on right away and it was delivered to my school.

Oh it looks SO gooooood! Dude amazing !

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    cats cats cats...whats up with those things?

Formerly known as jayy

thank you <3 I'm a little worried about over committing, since my waist is 30 in. and my corset is a 24. I would have liked to go for a 26, but the hip/underbust measurements are perfect on the 24. but ive never waist trained before and i dont wanna overdo it, and i was worried the gap looked bad, but im feeling a bit better about it now. the gap actually shrunk a bit after just the hour of seasoning, so its ok
    im ranting. im just excited. ok. shutting up now

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Wesley View Post
    gUESS WHAT I HAVE!!!

I think i laced down too tight at first, despite thinking it was only snug and i started not feeling good, so i loosened it up a bit and took these pics. I've been wearing it for about 20 minutes and its weird but not bad.
    hooray!

Edit: im wearing it in a public bathroom because i couldn't help putting it on right away and it was delivered to my school.
    Yaaaay! I am hoping to get mine after my first (or second) paycheck . I love the colour!

The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Last picture today i swear.
    Name:  Photo on 11-3-15 at 1.26 AM.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  73.9 KB

Laced up again today! Can't get it as tight as before since I took a break over the summer (too hot and my house didn't have air) Sadly I don't have dramatic curves because I'm mostly bone and muscle anyways lol (yes I know I'm not supposed to tie my laces around my waist, I tie them that way in case I have to get my corset off quick if I have a panic attack or something)
    Name:  WIN_20151104_154214.JPG
Views: 636
Size:  228.7 KB
    Name:  WIN_20151104_153952.JPG
Views: 585
Size:  220.8 KB

Looks good!

I suppose I could share my new corset.
    I have 3 (one black, one white, and this one)

I have them for work out at faire. This was right after I bought this one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-11-08 at 1.31.42 AM.png
Views: 575
Size:  613.0 KB
    day 5 of seasoning and i thought i would show you all the difference I can see from day 1 to now. The ribs are rounding out, the hips are forming over my hips, and the wrinkles and gaps (especially the rib gap) are getting less obvious. These are both laced down 2 inches to 28. So yeah... seasoning makes a difference.

Wow, i have been reading this thread and looking at the pics and it looks so great on everyone! I love them!
    I was wondering something.....i have a really really bad posture.
    I sort of hunch a lot, i don't ever sit up straight. I was never told to sit up straight by my parents and am completly into the habit of sitting with a rounded back like a hunchback almost.
    My neck is not up straight either.
    I know it is much better to sit up straight, i have a lot of back problems, lot of pain in my back as well and my neck.
    Could a corset help me with my posture? Will it help me to sit up straight more and train that?

Absolutely! It forces you into a good posture while wearing it. A lot of people talk about it helping their posture after they start wearing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Momo View Post
    Laced up again today! Can't get it as tight as before since I took a break over the summer (too hot and my house didn't have air) Sadly I don't have dramatic curves because I'm mostly bone and muscle anyways lol (yes I know I'm not supposed to tie my laces around my waist, I tie them that way in case I have to get my corset off quick if I have a panic attack or something)
    I tie my corset depending on what I'm wearing and what I'm doing (day @ home vs. quick outing). I think it's good to have them tied conveniently, so long as nothing is being strained!

Quote Originally Posted by Aysun_the_Mermaid View Post
    I suppose I could share my new corset.
    I have 3 (one black, one white, and this one)

I have them for work out at faire. This was right after I bought this one.

---
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    Love the details!

Quote Originally Posted by Adalira View Post
    Wow, i have been reading this thread and looking at the pics and it looks so great on everyone! I love them!
    I was wondering something.....i have a really really bad posture.
    I sort of hunch a lot, i don't ever sit up straight. I was never told to sit up straight by my parents and am completly into the habit of sitting with a rounded back like a hunchback almost.
    My neck is not up straight either.
    I know it is much better to sit up straight, i have a lot of back problems, lot of pain in my back as well and my neck.
    Could a corset help me with my posture? Will it help me to sit up straight more and train that?
    It definitely will make a difference and if you wear it regularly, on the days you don't wear it you'll automatically sit and stand straighter. It becomes a habit. So yes, do your research and try one out! Start out slow, but stick with it. Your spine will thank you down the road.

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Wesley View Post
    it feels WEIRD. And its not crooked, btw. I am. (scoliosis)
    im wearing it in a public bathroom because i couldn't help putting it on right away and it was delivered to my school.
    Don't worry, no one can tell you have scoliosis. Did you ship it to school cause you're keeping it it a secret from your parents?