Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: heel straps?

Senior Member Pod of Texas Merman Lir's Avatar

heel straps?

Hi tail makers! I have a question about monofin heel straps. I have the heel straps still on the mono in my silicone tail, but i know Mermaid Laura has them removed from the fin in her latex tail. I'm making a latex tail for one of the other mermaids in our pod right now. She asked me to remove the straps because the tail part is so fitted around her calves that it is hard to get her hand down to put them on. It's a foil monofin, and will be securely sewn/glued into the fluke, so I think it should be secure enough... but I wanted to check with everyone before I make a non-reversible change.

who wears straps, who goes strapless?
    Formerly known as Chris Edwards

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I find it depends on the monofin. A competitor can break your feet without straps. But a foil not so bad. Personally i find i swim incorrectly without straps

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Texas Merman Lir's Avatar
    thanks Raina! that's my concern. I think i will put it in with straps and let her try to get it on that way. I can always cut them after install, but putting them back on... not so much.
    Formerly known as Chris Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I find it depends on the monofin. A competitor can break your feet without straps. But a foil not so bad. Personally i find i swim incorrectly without straps

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    How could a strapless competitor break your feet? I only ask because I'm looking at buying a used tail, but it doesn't have straps..

It’s likely because you need the support of the straps to distribute the force across your feet and isn’t so bad on a Foil because it’s a lighter fin, but would be really bad on a competitor, which is huge and super stiff.

The weight of the blade would rest solely on the front half of your feet, which would hurt quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

No problem friend, I’ve got both fins and I’m always happy to help ^.^ you might be able to add straps, though I’m not sure what would stick to the rubber of the foot pockets and still be durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper