Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Renaissance Merfolk

Even fantasy faires frown on unnaturally colored hair, unless you are a fantasy creature. (And sometimes not even then)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If being a fairy had been an option, she probably would have gone for it. She had/has a pair of custom wings and everything.

Fancy a cup of mermaid tea?

Love Lyrique's Finfolk! What a pretty scene behind her, too

I guess I've never realized how particular some faires are! I always assumed a come one come all type of deal. Are there faires who strongly discourage pleasure-goers to dress up?
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

As long as you are appropriately dressed, they are not really going to tell a paying customer what they cannot wear.

Period costume, fantasy costume, tank top and shorts... makes no difference to the gate.

Cool deal.
    I know that at Disneyland they've stopped letting cosplayers through. Something about you can only wear official Disney clothing if you want to dress up? I completely understand that rule, so I was thinking maybe the same would apply here
    formerly known as Kalani

Quote Originally Posted by Seraphina Suds View Post
    I go to the New York faire every year. I took my tail last year and sat around for an hour or so. Got a little attention. I wore a walking costume this year.

Lindsey and I have tried talking to them about getting mermaids. They apparently liked the idea, but not us, because this year they had a mermaid for pirate weekend. She was only there once a day for a half hour meet and greet session. It looked like they just took one of their faires and swapped her wings for a FinFun tail. She only spoke to her handler who would then pass on the message. The only thing to even identify her as a mermaid (aside from the tail) was blue make up/face paint and a string of pearls across her forehead. Pretty disappointed considering they could have had established and experienced mermaids for longer sessions with more interesting material. I reached out to the girl who played the mermaid to see how she got the job.

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk
    You are right, it was Amy. (Or at least one of them was)

Sometimes a faire does not really know if they want something or not, so they use a performer they already have to try something out and see how it goes.

Or, if they just want something for one weekend they don't want to go through the "trouble" of hiring outside performers.

Just from my experiences...

Quote Originally Posted by Aysun_the_Mermaid View Post
    You are right, it was Amy. (Or at least one of them was)

Sometimes a faire does not really know if they want something or not, so they use a performer they already have to try something out and see how it goes.

Or, if they just want something for one weekend they don't want to go through the "trouble" of hiring outside performers.

Just from my experiences...

Yup, it was Amy and I believe she was the mermaid both days. Have you worked with her before? She never answered my question.

That really stinks that they wouldn't take a chance on us, although I can understand why. There was a large crowd gathered; it seemed successful. I left a few minutes after she arrived so I don't know what went on beyond posing with kids.

I worked that faire in a different capacity in the past.

I would say she and I are acquaintances.
    She always seemed nice, she may just be busy?
    No idea.

But yeah...
    Unfortunately, the water there should not be swam in, so that cuts out a few great opportunities.

Oh gosh, no I would never swim in those ponds! They're full of pesticides to kill whatever gross stuff was already in there. I would prefer a tank show or at least a dry meet and greet style location. I've had my eye on a spot between the pirates and the paddle boats for years haha.

Right? But it would be pretty and convenient if we could
    Standing on the bridge and seeing a mermaid swim by...

I feel you on that though.

That'd be so fun! I kind of felt bad for all the little kids who were gathering for the mermaid showing up; they were all facing the water! She was carted in behind most of the crowd haha. But seeing a mermaid swim up to the Queens Landing and sitting on the dock for pictures would be so great~

Renaissance Merfolk

There's a full time cove at the KC Ren Fest I just joined this season, but there are 5 of us in the cove this year (4 now), 3 carrier sailors, and one cabin boy. We have a mermaid cove with a dry set at one end and if you walk up the hill you get to our pond area. I perform with Maksim Merman, Mermaid Aurellia, and with Mermaid Amelia the Florida Mermaid for 3 weeks

As for historical vs. fantasy, we are a mix I suppose. We have mermaids and a Fae court (King and queen + fairies, brownies, etc) but all of the villagers and characters are required to be as period accurate as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year I helped out by volunteering for a race, and I just received an email today from the same district inviting me to work a Renaissance faire! I haven't looked into it, and I'm not sure if the magical aspect is there, but I am very excited to help!
    formerly known as Kalani

Renaissance Merfolk

I attend my State Ren Faire (almost) every year. But I just wear my SCA Romani garb because it's easier then having separate clothes just for the faire.

I bought this lil guy a few years ago and he always goes with me I dunno why the picture is sideways XD

I want to try to work with the Birds of Prey show once I move down to where the bird rescue is

This was the first year I went not with my family XD But this is the same garb, more or less, that I wear every time.
    Name:  8544_10201016483321240_2114580846_n.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  91.0 KB
    Last edited by theMerFanc; 10-10-2015 at 08:11 PM.
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

I just got sent a video from my first appearance at a faire in my mermaid costume! This is from the Milton Pirate Festival in Ontario.

https://youtu.be/st4q5yvyur8

It was a really strange event for me to do, because I've been playing a pirate there for 6 years, or something like that. I had a lot of people coming up to me because I was in the chair, thinking that I'd broken my legs or been horribly sick or something.

Cute!
    formerly known as Kalani

The big Renn Faire in NC is in Charlotte and they have been contacted many times by several local mers but they are not yet interested. We have another local fest called Festival of Legends which is geared more towards, myth and fantasy. Lots of fun. We have had a Mermaid cove there the last 2 years. First year we set up a tent and sold little trinkets. The second year we set up two tents, one for mermaids and stuff to sell, the other for musicians. (I did bellydancing as well). We had a designated area by the entrance. I found out the location will change for next year and there is a big pond at the new site and he wants us over there...YUCK! After thinking about it, I figured the water would be cold and nasty and even sitting out on the dock while people drive in, it is still very out of the way compared to where everyone will be. Am trying to brainstorm other ideas instead of that or the tents and am wondering how other mermaids are doing it? Excluding a tank. I want to bring him a couple other choices..LOL