Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E6000 poisoning

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

E6000 poisoning

This exact issue happened with me with Alex plus. I didn't realize E6000 could do it. But this is legit what my doc told me and said I was more at risk because of autoimmune issues

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1444063438041.png
Views: 21564
Size:  225.1 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1444063452776.png
Views: 18388
Size:  249.5 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1444063472746.png
Views: 18561
Size:  266.1 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1444063485743.png
Views: 18726
Size:  402.6 KB

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Oh my goodness! Thank you for posting and keeping the community safe!
    "The ocean stirs the heart, inspires the imagination and brings eternal joy to the soul."
    -Wyland-

Yikes

Sent from my C6725 using Tapatalk

Aw crap, I use this all the time for crafting and tail work. Thank you so much for posting, for myself and the rest of the community.
    she believed she could, so she did
    formerly known as Kalani

Yuuuuup. I tell people all the time to be really careful with it, to always use gloves and in a large and well ventilated space. Most people would laugh at me and tell me they never wear gloves and that it's fine. NOPE NOPE NOPE. The warnings on there are there for a reason, it's serious stuff!! I even wash my hands well after taking off the gloves just in case.
    I know mers who were working with this stuff not only without gloves but in small spaces like bathrooms. IT'S NOT WORTH YOUR HEALTH, PEOPLE. Thanks for posting, will add this to some reference lists and sticky.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

I have always been so wary of this stuff, and after using it for one project long ago, I chose to never touch it again.
    That one use, even in a very well ventilated area with gloves and mask, made me feel ill for weeks after. It wasn't that I didn't use enough protection during use, but that the glue continued to release fumes well after it dried. In the middle of a Seattle winter, I couldn't keep all my doors and windows open in my apartment building to constantly vent it.
    I'll stick to my Aleen's Jewel-It, and the washable version of the same!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I've always used this glue outside, and when applying it, not have my face directly over the work. Also wear gloves when using it as sometimes you can get it on your hands. You might not think much of a few tiny globs of glue on your skin, but it directly absorbs the glue and fumes, so better to be safe than sick.
    And if where you are is cold and you can't open the windows because you'll freeze to death, do not turn the heater on and sit and put everything close to it, when working with E6000. I found out once, it makes one very dizzy and kinda seasick feeling.
    Last edited by Mermaid Jaffa; 10-05-2015 at 08:32 PM.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I had all this same stuff happen to me from uncured alex plus. Back when mertailor was hawking it as real latex. Everything she lists and my hair felt out in patches, and my nails turned yellow . I had to go to a special hospital for environmental illness.

Holy carp! My dad used to use this stuff for model aircraft, I'll tell him about this. WOW that's awful
    Almost done making my first ​tail!!! -progress pictures at http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?9784-Excited!-P-might-make-a-tail-tips&p=195098#post195098
    -Friends come and go like waves of the ocean, but true ones stay like an octopus on your face-Unknown

Just sticking my two cents in the pot. (Because sometimes more examples help convince people.)

I work with this stuff pretty much constantly for my Etsy shop items and my own personal pieces. Admittedly, I wasn't always careful about how I used it and would sometimes end up with glue all over my hands and a head full of fumes. They ARE NOT KIDDING ABOUT THE SYMPTOMS. Dizziness (to the point of nausea) and migraines were the two big tells for me. Improper use of E600 has quite literally knocked me on my ass for days. So please, when we suggest you be careful with it, we really do mean it.
    ---------------------------------
    Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/MermaidLorelei
    Etsy - http://www.etsy.com/shop/ShipwreckCouture
    Instagram - http://instagram.com/mermaid_lorelei

Email - mermaidoutfitters@gmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    Mernetwork Moderator

Senior Member Pod of the Southwest Vrindavana Starfish's Avatar
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish On Twitter Add Vrindavana Starfish on Facebook
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish on Tumblr Visit Vrindavana Starfish's Youtube Channel
    Wow. Thanks for the info!

Junior Member North Pacific Pod tessie's Avatar
    Add tessie on Facebook
    I just started crating and I use globs of E6000 glue. I never knew that this was a thing... Definitely want to invest in a vapor respirator now

I never had too bad of symptoms besides headaches. I used a respirator anyway, just because the smells of the rubber respirator helped cover up some of the smell of the 36000

Gosh, I hope you are okay now D: <3

This is really good to know, thank you so much for posting! I had no idea...

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Thanks for posting this! Also, here is the Safety Data Sheet. I just thought it would be good to have a link to it in this thread.

http://eclecticproducts.com/download...ar-english.pdf

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Cataleya's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Cataleya on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    This exact issue happened with me with Alex plus. I didn't realize E6000 could do it. But this is legit what my doc told me and said I was more at risk because of autoimmune issues

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1444063438041.png
Views: 21564
Size:  225.1 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1444063452776.png
Views: 18388
Size:  249.5 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1444063472746.png
Views: 18561
Size:  266.1 KBName:  uploadfromtaptalk1444063485743.png
Views: 18726
Size:  402.6 KB

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    Do you think one of those mask they have people wear when they are sick *alot of the Chinese wear them if you go over there because of the pollution*

thank you so much for posting this !!
    "In the depth in find our soul, in darkness we find our true self. "

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Some information on masks:

http://blog.pksafety.com/e6000-glue-...ator-question/

"We get questions from users about the use of safety equipment in real world situations all the time. One of the things I’d like to do from time to time is share some of the answers for those of you in similar circumstances. Also, please note that we encourage this type of inquiry. Just so you know, names or details about you will never be used in a blog post. Here is the question…
    I would like to buy a mask that can protect me from the fumes of E6000 glue which I believe is highly toxic. Unfortunately, it works great and is the only glue i have found to do the job i need it to do. Which is a good mask for this purpose? I will be gluing on crystals on ice skating costumes and sometimes work for a number of hours. thanks

And here is the answer that I gave, expanded slightly to illuminate some aspects for users unfamiliar with the subject…
    Hi, the E6000 glue contains Perchloroethylene, also known as Tetrachloroethylene. This is a pretty nasty solvent. The most common use for it is in the Dry Cleaning industry, where it is often referred to as PERC. As you can see, it is also used as a component in some adhesives. I found a brief explanation about this solvent on the epa.gov website. You might want to take a look: EPA Chemical FAQs
    3M recommends using organic vapor cartridges attached to a full face respirator. They say to use a full face mask since the solvent will attack mucous membranes as found in the nose and eyes. This is a particular problem at high concentrations, which are unlikely to occur in your particular application.
    With proper ventilation (exhaust fan?), you should be able to get away with a half mask, which costs less money, but don’t ignore this aspect of the problem. And you do so at your own risk (have to say that).
    The 3M organic vapor cartridges are…
    3M 6001 Organic Vapor Cartridges
    The 3M full face mask respirator is…
    3M Full Face Respirator
    The 3M half mask respirator is…
    3M Half-Face Respirator
    The 3M 6001 cartridge will fit on either mask. Choose a size, and look for a comfortable fit. When you put on the mask, with cartridges attached, you should not smell or taste the solvent. When you start to smell it, then it is time to change the cartridges. There is no set limit on this time. Less solvents mean the carbon (activated charcoal) lasts longer. More solvent concentration means less time.
    When you aren’t using the glue and mask, keep them separated, since the carbon will absorb solvent vapors out of the air. And the mask may pick up the scent. A zip lock bag works well to hold the mask.
    Oh, and one other thing. It is a good idea to wear gloves when handling the glue. Disposable nitrile gloves are a good choice to maintain the dexterity you need for the fine work, but still have some chemical resistance."
    Last edited by Merman Storm; 03-06-2016 at 08:48 AM.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    And also, if what you're gluing is a tiny piece where it only needs the smallest dot of glue, but you don't want to put your face next to it to see it, invest in one of those standing magnifying glass. You don't need a big expensive one, even a cheapo $20 one will do the job.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Holy crap!!! My jaw dropped several times while reading this; Raina thank you so much for posting this, seriously, thank you. And thank the admins too for making it a sticky. I'm lucky I've not used it all that much previously but I will never use it inside and without a respirator again.

So glad you are well again!
    How scary!

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk