Thread: Mermaid Storytime

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Saren's Avatar
    Follow Saren On Twitter
    Follow Saren on Tumblr Visit Saren's Youtube Channel

Mermaid Storytime

Hey Mers!

So I'm in the process of getting my ducks in a row for my formal dive into professional mermaiding.

My first order of business is to have a mermaid storytime at our library. Now the library already has a weekly storytime, but I've been asking moms who take their kids to storytime what they think of it so far.

Many have expressed wanting more storytime days. So I'll be bringing a proposal to the library to start either my own story time or to at least volunteer during their regular storytime.

Now my questions for ya'll is: do you do storytime? What do you do? I've only been to two different storytimes, in different states, in vastly different locations, and the volunteers just talked with the children and read different books for the hour. One storytime had small crafts for the kids.

From the info I got so far, it seems like this storytime has songs for the kids (when I get a free day, I'll go see for myself).

I have a huge archive ready for books to read, themes, and everything, but should storytime just be about books? Should it be more?
    Mermaid Saren
    ||Tumblr||YouTube||Instagram||Twitter||

user formerly known as Fayrn

At the library I volunteered at 3 years ago we do story time and then we do like-activities that are related to the story.
    The SeaGlass Siren

Wow! That's a great idea.
    Live life to express, not to impress.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    I worked at my local library for a few years and they had very successful story times.

They often had themes, like "feelings" or "animals", and the books were educational and fun. Depending on the age group they'd use books with songs that went with them. I think there was a thread on here a while back about mermaidy books for kids - maybe do a quick search and see what comes up, there were some good ideas in there. Sometimes there'd be added craft sessions, but just little things with like one or two steps, like paddle-pop (popsicle) stick puppets. Or they'd give out little gifts like coloured stones or charms (not for very little kids obviously).

You could also use it as a chance to read books about ocean health and environmental issues appropriate for kiddos.

I didn't exactly live in a family-centric area but people flocked from surrounding suburbs for the sessions where I worked so they must have been doing something right!

Follow Saren On Twitter
    The age group is anywhere between 1 and 5 years old. I was hoping of just having ocean/ animal related storytime maybe twice a month to start, and moving to weekly if I'm popular (that sounds weird)

i was planning on breaking it down like so:
    -Introduction
    -conversations
    -songs
    -story 1
    -discussion
    -story 2
    -discussion
    -good-byes

I'm not too used to children outside of teaching them english
    Mermaid Saren
    ||Tumblr||YouTube||Instagram||Twitter||

user formerly known as Fayrn

Follow Saren On Twitter
    http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...n-ahhhhhh!!!!!

Above is a link to another library related thread!

As an update to this thread, I've made some decisions to what I'll be doing and thank you all for helping me!