Thread: I'm not a fan of Peta... BUT

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

I'm not a fan of Peta... BUT

Just saw this video: https://www.facebook.com/official.pe...3684840749586/

So, I am not a fan of Peta. But if you strip away their tone, embellishments etc, the facts they present are true in terms of how many deaths, causes, etc.

I knew a lot from blackfish but it only followed Tili. Crazy to see the stories of the other whales.

So shocking sometimes.

I think the fact that has always stuck with me is how long they live in the wild vs. captivity. This is so sad.

I have some peachicks I am working on training right now, and I can't fathom starving them because they don't do what I want them to do.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

All righty, so a few things.

This video is discussing things that Sea World did In the 80's. And while yes, they were some pretty terrible things, sea world has absolutely changed its ways, as have a lot of less publicized zoos and animal parks.

PETA, much to popular disbelief actually do not get their facts right Nader all their propaganda and embellishments, as you put it. Animals in captivity live just as long if not longer then those in the wild. Animals in captivity are actually fed better food and more food then their human trainers. Yes they might not have an open ocean to explore but they are provided with so many toys and creative things to do.

Another thing this video doesn't explain and in fact completely denies through their word choice is that many animals that are taught to perform really enjoy it! Much like Human actors and performers, the animals enjoy the praise and the attention the get by being on stage. And animals aren't just ripped from the wild anymore like this video states. They only take animals that are injured or have disabilities or Otherwise wouldn't survive.

Yes. There are bad zoos. Yes. There are organizations that breed tigers for their coats and for pretty pictures. Yes. There are cruel people who enslave animals to do their bidding.

But that is such a small portion of the animal training and care population. Essentially, it's like anything else in the media. Are 95% of US citizens murderers and massgunmans? No. Are 95% of an map trainers and zookeepers cruel people who murder animals? Absolutely not.

People are so busy being activists for the rights they think someone or something deserve that they don't be there to actually Look at any of the truth behind what they are arguing against. There are people n this world that just need to fight against something and they will do so no matter what lies they are spreading.

Yes, it am biased. I want to be an exotic an mail trainer for Hollywood. I want to work with animals who were adopted as pets then abandoned or who are two old to be music video props or who was found sick and abandoned in the wild. My dream job is so,etching that, if PETA had their way, would land me in jail. So I am anti-PETA from the start. But I have facts behind my reasons that are actually supports in our present century.

/end Affie rant. Sorry if that got intense. I am not yelling at anyone in this thread, merely venting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    I think the fact that has always stuck with me is how long they live in the wild vs. captivity. This is so sad.

I have some peachicks I am working on training right now, and I can't fathom starving them because they don't do what I want them to do.
    Animals who are trained for shows are trained using positive reinforcement which means they are rewarded when they do what is asked of them. Positive reinforcement is built up so that the animal will always succeed. You don't put them in a position where they cannot do what you ask. If they do not perform the task, the trainer all either lour them into the task or get them to do it a different way and they receive the treat.

An animal is never starved for not performing. Treats and performance rewards are additional food to what they already receive daily. The animals in zoo shows or at Sea World, as I said in my last post, eat better and more often then their human trainers. They also get sick days when they aren't feeling 100% which trainers and zookeepers absolutely do t get.

Long story short (sorry I am ranting again) this video over dramatizes things and is not even remotely accurate for modern day training techniques.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Magical Mystical MerFanc
    A Welsh Lake Monster with control of weather, water and water creatures.
    Resident sea monster, best friend of sharks and ducks, lover of the Deep Ocean.
    Known on all other social media as theAfanc

Oh where to start where to start.... Lol

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    A friend of mine put it in a context that made sense to me. Most of the whales that are already in captivity are mixed breeds. If they are to be put back into the wild, they wouldn't have any pods to call home. There are a couple of orcas that were wild caught and, yes, should be released free, but the majority wouldn't do well. What needs to be done is MUCH larger tanks for the orcas and to not make them perform anymore. At least imho.

You don't have to like or believe peta to know all the crap that goes on at SeaWorld. I just can't even.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    My thoughts for peta fell dramatically when I read an article on Saving the Silkworms!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherielle View Post
    A friend of mine put it in a context that made sense to me. Most of the whales that are already in captivity are mixed breeds. If they are to be put back into the wild, they wouldn't have any pods to call home. There are a couple of orcas that were wild caught and, yes, should be released free, but the majority wouldn't do well. What needs to be done is MUCH larger tanks for the orcas and to not make them perform anymore. At least imho.
    Yeah even peta as extreme as they are don't usually suggest releasing them to wild. Makes no sense. But people have been trying to buy SeaWorld so they can turn it into a sea pen designed more like a nature reserve. There is more space for cars at sea world than whales.

But I addressed concerns about peta already. And the tone of the video. It still doesn't take away from the actual facts

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Just saw this video: https://www.facebook.com/official.pe...3684840749586/

So, I am not a fan of Peta. But if you strip away their tone, embellishments etc, the facts they present are true in terms of how many deaths, causes, etc.

I knew a lot from blackfish but it only followed Tili. Crazy to see the stories of the other whales.

So shocking sometimes.
    I admit I haven't followed the Seaworld stuff. My knowledge is zilch other than they have killer whales that snap and kill trainers now and then, which is totally worrying in and of itself. I respect your opinion, Raina, but I can't buy anything I see in a PETA video. Can you or someone else post a more reliable source for verification of these stories? I'm not saying you're wrong, and I'm totally ready to be shocked and saddened, but I have too high of a bias against PETA to accept anything they say without independent verification.

(Feel free to tell me to JFGI, but I don't have time to do that today. )

ETA: OK, so a brief glance over CNN makes it clear why you brought this up today! Just ignore me...
    Last edited by Dancing Fish; 10-09-2015 at 01:41 PM.
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook