Thread: The Mertailor Question!

The Mertailor Question!

I'm looking into buying a silicone mermaid tail within 6-8 months, and I've read many awesome reviews on his work.
    But I'm just confused about one thing
    What's the difference between the basic silicone tail and silicone tail?
    Here's the link to his shop: https://www.themertailor.com/buy-mermaid-tails

There's a 2,000 dollar price difference between the two, and I really can't tell much of a difference between the two other than the design of the fluke.

This has been discussed in the Tailmaker Discussion section.
    http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...Silicone-tails

I'd urge you to read about the experiences other mers have had with mertailor in the Tailmaker Discussion section as well as the Review section. I'm not trying to burst your bubble about your dream tail, but quite a few folks here have had very bad experiences with the mertailor.
    Find me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and my WEBSITE
    Formerly known as Madison Juliette

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    The difference is that the 'basic silicone' tail is lined with a cheap neoprene substitute meaning less silicone is used in the making, it also has only one fluke option with no choice of additional fins.

The 'Silicone' tail is made of full silicone so it is much heavier out of the water and comes with a variety of fluke and fin options.

If you're 100% sure you want to go with mertailor (and since you mentioned reading reviews I'm assuming you've read the ones on here and understand it's at least a 50/50 chance of getting a sub-standard product) and this is your first tail I'd say go with the basic over the full silicone because it's not recommended to get a full silicone tail for your first tail. There is a whole thread on reasons why here:
    http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...+silicone+tail

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    what you make up in time, you lose in quality.

Thank you. I really appreciate everyone's honest replies! I've only read good reviews about him (on his own website :/ ), so it's good to know there are many bad reviews also hm
    I was also looking into Merbella's, and FinFolk Productions. That may be the better choice for me

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    If you need a tail in the next 6-8 months then MerNation may be the way to go for you too Their wait time is probably the shortest of all the tail makers and their communication is amazing. Finfolk are going to stop taking custom orders in the future I believe, not sure when though and Merbellas is notoriously difficult to get a spot in and both of those have wait times of a year+

If you want any more info or have any questions you can feel free to PM me and I'll help you as much as I can

Senior Member Pod of Cali RomanLaveau's Avatar
    Add RomanLaveau on Facebook
    There is also an option of an up coming tailmaker named Lily at Syren Studios, she's under All Other with the other tailmakers. You get more variety for your money's worth and her wait time is not that long. And her work is amazing! Good Luck with finding your perfect tail maker!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity Falls View Post
    I've only read good reviews about him (on his own website :/ )
    Yep unfortunately it is very easy for someone to edit their own site and remove or not even allow negative reviews. If you ever find anyone else looking into buying a tail, refer them to the Mernetwork reviews. Due to the guidelines here that the reviews must follow, each review is thorough and well documented.

Very recently a member on here got a brand new Mertailor tail and the tail being brand new and never used already had some issues so that isn't a good sign.

We are so glad that you asked before buying!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

I haven't write a review yet but my first tail was his partial silicone, which was actually very nice but it had some issues and because of them I didn't want to use it on gigs, it was also very difficult to use in photoshoots cause the fluke is so heavy, so as having a nice experience with the partial I decided to order a basic one from him with custom pirate fluke, here you can read my latest experience with him: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthre...bathroom-floor

Before buying these cheaper ones I was going to buy a full silicone one from him in the future. Now I'm sure not buying anything from him ever again.
    Frosty Mermaid from the lonely Lapland <3

* Etsy * Youtube * Facebook * Instagram *

Another good place for reviews is YouTube. Raina talks about tails in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6VQ...rcbDs25GArBhEk

I haven't gotten my first tail yet, but if and when I ever get my tail, it WON'T be a Mertailor tail. (To clarify, I will be getting a cloth tail first, but if/when I ever get around to getting silicone... yeah!) I agree with the others. Reviews on any owner owned page (tail related or not) are sketchy because they don't allow honest, negative reviews through. Look somewhere else!
    The difference between a dream and a goal is a deadline. ~Steve Smith
    Start strong, stay strong and finish strong by always remembering why you're doing it in the first place. ~Ralph Marston
    user formerly known as Critter

Losing weight and THEN getting a tail. 41 pounds down, 100 to go! July 16 and still going strong! Inspired to educate and then work as a fitness and nutrition coach.

There are quite a few tailmakers out there. Mermaid Julz of UnderSea Mermaid Co makes great tails. As does Mermaid Jessica. I make silicone tails as well. Whoever you choose, use this forum's search tools so you know you made the right choice.

Accepting Custom Silicone Tail Orders For $1400!
    Slots Taken: 3/3

On Facebook - Custom Orders - Etsy