Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need advice/encouragement next step

Need advice/encouragement next step

Hello everyone! I am looking for some advice or tips on getting to that next step going pro. I finished my first tail a few months ago and have been looking to get work but I'm a little stuck. I have business cards that I've been handing out and started social media accounts on Facebook, Instagram, and twitter. I've done a couple photo shoots and try to update my accounts at least once a week with a new photo. I've contacted some local water parks and they told me to contact them again during the spring so that's at least something. I have Raina's first book but when I went to read it again I can't find it. I really hope it's somewhere in my apartment and hasn't been stolen or accidentally left somewhere. Also I've read almost every forum in this section haha.

I live in the Rochester Ny area and there arnt very many mer people in the area and none pro as far as I can tell. Unfortunately our cold season has started so outdoor public appearances are out for now. Does anyone have any tips on drumming up interest for the next season? I've thought about making flyers and sending them out. I have a whole list of events and places nearby that I could see a mermaid fitting in at but I don't want to seem pushy. Has anyone sent out flyers or postcards to potential event planners? I've contacted a couple local children's charities but nothing from them yet either.

As far as experience goes I've been a pro princess for a while so and I was a mermaid at a social event called rochester a list pool party which was fun ( tho non paying) I also got accepted for the Rochester Mini Maker Fair as a maker/entertainer.

I know it can take years to get noticed and I'm not unrealistic with visions of grandeur or anything. I guess I just need some encouragement from others who have been or still are in this early stage. Rochester and it's surrounding areas has a lot going on and there's a good mix of well off people who would hire a mermaid if I can just get myself out there and a bit more established, not to mention theres a different festival almost every week from spring to fall.
    Last edited by Mermaid Tory; 10-19-2015 at 07:40 PM.
    ~Mermaid Tory~
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidTory

Formerly known as Tswan114

Have you tried asking any hotels/condos with a pool?

I think a nice video montage wouldn't hurt. In the video it would show you swimming, maybe talking/swimming with children, close-ups of your beautiful tail, etc.
    Not everyone realizes that you can actually swim in a mermaid tail so the video will help shed some light on how functional your tail is for people who might not know much about mermaids.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

GREAT advice from Alea. A video would be lovely. She's right; most people don't know we can swim in our tails. In regards to:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Tory View Post
    I have a whole list of events and places nearby that I could see a mermaid fitting in at but I don't want to seem pushy. Has anyone sent out flyers or postcards to potential event planners?
    If these are public events have you thought about just going? I started out just sort of accidentally because I'd go to events I already loved dressed as a mermaid and I'd get swarms of people asking me if I was for hire. And then I just started making connections through people. I don't have any social networking site I advertise on. I went to pirate festivals and tall ship festivals and met all kinds of interested people and it's just grown from there; just by doing the things I love anyway.
    In regards to charities; can you ever attend Tall Ship festivals? Most of those ships are owned by charitable organizations who use their ships for all kinds of wonderful causes. I was lucky to be adopted by one such crew and not only is it very rewarding, but my name gets passed around a lot for paying performances as well. I guess what I've found is that it's the personal connections I've made with people that allow me to keep doing what I'm doing; not advertising myself. Good luck! You're a lovely young lady and I'm sure this is going to be just the beginning to something awesome!!

Thank you for your advice. One of the big things I need to do when I can swim in my tail again is to get some videos! I only have one swimming with my tail completely done and it was at an adult social event for a short amount of time and at night due to bad weather. I will see if there are any Tall Ships Festivals near me. There are a few boat shows sine I live near the finger lakes. Thank you! Has anyone tried sending out flyers or postcards?
    ~Mermaid Tory~

Looks like I just needed to be patient. I got a booking at the childrens museum in Rochester for a pirate event in January. I was princess anna for a Halloween event at the same place so It goes to show that reaching out to people and getting connections is always a good thing.
    ~Mermaid Tory~

Congratulations!

I keep thinking about how beautiful your sequin tail is by the way. I am definitely considering making a sequin tail over the winter.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus