Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preferred Pronoun, What's Yours?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod KayNS's Avatar
    Follow KayNS On Twitter Add KayNS on Facebook

Preferred Pronoun, What's Yours?

The name pronunciation thread made me think of this for some reason. I did a quick search to see if there was a general Post Your Pronouns kind of thread and didn't see one directed towards everyone.
    if there is one, please feel free to direct me there and/or delete this thread.

So, if you care to share, what's you preferred pronoun? Does your mersona use a different pronoun than your everyday self?

I prefer she/her in all aspects of my life.

I prefer she/her but he/him is perfectly acceptable as well. Sometimes I prefer some pronouns over others so I will correct anyone when needed
    user formerly known as mermaidofthelabyrinth

They/Them. Both for myself and for my mer-self.

"I prefer she/her in all aspects of my life." Me too.

I recently read a short piece online about accidentally trans-phobic phrases and was surprised to see that "preferred pronoun" can be viewed as offensive. After reading the reasoning I definitely see how offense can be taken with that terminology. What are your thoughts on it?

http://mashable.com/2015/10/18/trans.../#bpxz2kL9UkqW

Sorry to crash your thread KayNS, but this is something that I have been thinking about for the last couple of days and I think this is a great thread to see what others think.

My answer to your question: she/her.
    Find me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and my WEBSITE
    Formerly known as Madison Juliette

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    I was surprised when I heard that too. Especially because trans people taught it to me, but I get it now. Cis people get pronouns, trans people get preferred pronouns cis people get gender trans people get gender identity etc etc. and she/her, but when people refer to me as they/them online im happy for it. I'm cis but they pronouns being used casually makes my inner social justice archer happy. (I'm not the warrior type)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    Social justice archer. I like it! You should coin it. Maybe I'll be a social justice mage.

Can I be the Social Justice Cleric?

Personally I prefer she/her and them/they, since I'm somewhere between female-identifying and gender neutral.

I can see how the "preferred" part could be construed as offensive, and I apologize as that was not my intent. I too learned to ask for "preferred pronouns" from trans* and non-binary friends. Personally, I feel like asking "What's your pronoun?" could be more offensive, as to me it sounds more like "are you a boy or a girl?" But I acknowledge that as a cis woman I don't have any basis for knowing what could be offensive to a non-cis person, nor do I have any right deciding that.

Anyway, I hope that everyone on here understands that my post was written from a place of love and a desire to reduce assumptions about gender.
    Last edited by KayNS; 10-28-2015 at 08:22 AM. Reason: typo

I prefer she/her. I'm as girly as a girl can be.
    The SeaGlass Siren

KayNS, it wasn't my intent to make you feel bad with that link. Similar to you and Wesley, I learned to ask for preferred pronoun from non-binary friends. I totally never realized that can be offensive to some until a few days ago. Just wanted to share the link because I found it interesting and was wondering what people thought about it.

Sorry for hijacking. Please don't hate me forever.
    Find me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and my WEBSITE
    Formerly known as Madison Juliette

Quote Originally Posted by Madison Juliette View Post
    KayNS, it wasn't my intent to make you feel bad with that link. Similar to you and Wesley, I learned to ask for preferred pronoun from non-binary friends. I totally never realized that can be offensive to some until a few days ago. Just wanted to share the link because I found it interesting and was wondering what people thought about it.

Sorry for hijacking. Please don't hate me forever.
    Don't worry, I don't feel bad. I am always open to learning more and I also found it interesting. I don't hate you at all. :-)

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I worked a gig this summer with Iona where a girl* was there that I'd seen the year before. Iona referred to them as he and I corrected to she. The person had previously identified as female but had since cut their hair. I thought Iona had simply made a mistake but turns out it was my mistake! They now identified as male and apologized to me for confusing me!!! They said they didn't have a binder for swimming. I felt sooooo bad but Iona saved the day and the awkwardness and he was very forgiving of me. Iona told them all about the binder threads on here

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Visit Talia's Youtube Channel
    I am "she" and "her". Thank you for starting this thread

They/them, I'm non-binary but I don't really care if you call me him or her, it doesn't really matter to me.
    Gender isn't really a big thing for me, I've kind of been through the phase of needing to label myself and now I' just like "meh, I'm me and that's all that matters".

Thank you for this thread!

I've never been offended over 'preferred pronouns' but I have trans* friends who are squicked by the phrase. I think it depends on the person, plus things are always changing as more people learn vocabulary and the public discussion opens up.

I usually don't mind how people use my pronouns; she, him, they, most days I honestly don't care, but some days I experience more disphoria than others. (Is that normal? Shrug.) which is for the best since coming out at work and to some family is a no go. Recently I've been experimenting with ze/zir/zeself and I like the way it fits, minus sometimes I get insecure and worry that I'm trying to be a 'special snowflake'.

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Grey Gambit's Avatar
    Add Grey Gambit on Facebook
    Follow Grey Gambit on Tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by rivermermaid View Post
    They/them, I'm non-binary but I don't really care if you call me him or her, it doesn't really matter to me.
    Gender isn't really a big thing for me, I've kind of been through the phase of needing to label myself and now I' just like "meh, I'm me and that's all that matters".
    ^ I feel the same way. The "I'm just me and I've always been, but.. *shrugs*"

And they/them pronouns for me.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    It'd be cool to have a section under people's avatars with "Pronoun", and a drop down selector in the profile settings, so people can easily see preferred pronouns. Both for non-binary people and those who don't have a particularly gendered avatar.

They shouldn't really matter anyways, we should be called whatever makes us comfortable.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Coradion's Avatar

Visit Coradion's Youtube Channel
    Goddess would be mine.