Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadly? No. Not deadly.

Deadly? No. Not deadly.

Hi all!

My name is Nicole, and I live in North Carolina. I'm 18 years old and recently interested in mermaiding.

When I was a girl I saw The Little Mermaid- that's probably where I first heard of mermaids, but I wasn't entirely smitten. When I played mermaid, I wasn't Ariel. I was just a mermaid.

Then for awhile, no mermaids.

Then last Summer, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides came out. Thought at one point I'd never see it. But then my family watched the other Pirates movies. Finally we saw On stranger Tides in a dollar theater. I bought the DVD after it came out. I rewatched the mermaid parts over and over. I fell in love with mermaids.

I wrote my National Novel Writing Month novel about a mermaid and a man falling in love (Syrena and Philip, anyone? :P ). My sister is going to make me a mermiad tail for this spring/summer. Lately I've been working on singing Jolly Sailor Bold as it's sung in On Stranger Tides. I RP as a mermaid sometimes in chat on this other website. I'm a legs-on-land-tail-in-water gal. My view of mermaids are the ones in Pirates, basically. I'm not interested in the water spirit type mermaids with fins and gils, just the tails. Oh, and the mermaid in my novel is kind of who I am as a mermaid, the alter-ego I take on. I'm Enna, in mermaid-land.

So, that's it for now. Hopefully I'll have a tail soon. And who knows? Maybe I can take a video of myself singing Jolly Sailor Bold in the pool this summer.

~Meriel Enna (in my book, mermaids go by their second name )

It's a pleasure to meet you, Enna! ^.^

Senior Member Pod of Cali Neria's Avatar
    Welcome, Enna!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania happyguava's Avatar
    Welcome, welcome

Welcome... I think I also found the Little Mermaid to be fun, but not my favorite disney movie (Sleeping Beauty, all the way). For some reason, Ariel's propensity for getting in trouble with her father made me uncomfortable (I often tried to avoid getting in trouble as a kid, though I was only occasionally successful at doing so). Besides, when her father can blow up stone statues when he's angry and grow sea witches to Godzilla-esque size, Ariel was really being unusually foolhardy in antagonizing him so much.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    Hello Enna! Any ideas for your first tail? I love to see sketches and inspiration photos for tail designs <3 Are you planning on making it yourself?

Thanks for the welcomes all.

I actually kinda want to see The Little Mermaid again now just because it DOES have mermaids in it- lol! Although it has mermen too- tsk tsk, they aren't supposed to exist now are they? :P Lol. (If you like merman just ignore me; I don't hate them or anything! Lol)

ShyMer, my sister is going to make it for me, as she sews and I can't yet. It will be her first time really doing anything like this though, with such snug fitting and stretchy swimsuit fabric. It's going to be a tail without a monofin, although I mgith get a monofin tail some day. It'll just fit my legs and then the fin part will float out as I swim. It's going to be a goldfish type of fin I think, and it's going to be blue. My mom bought this fabric for a swimsuit for herself (not a tail, just a swimsuit) but it didn't work out; it was kind of...crackly when it stretched. Buuuuut it's perfect for me to use for my tail. It's got this groovy pattern that could be scalish-things with imagination, and there's plenty there for my tail. Not quite sure where the tail will stop; hips or waist, or maybe a belly-button coverer. As far as a top, I'm not sure yet, but I was thinking about just wearing a one-piece store-bought swimsuit under it. Although it's not totally mermaidy. :P And I have a pearl necklace and pearl bracelets to wear as accesories. I have medium-length hair (I should post a pic of myself sometime) and I have no great plans for it yet. XD But this stuff is all what the forums are for, eh? XD

~Meriel Enna

... avid merman enthusiast here, Siren. In fact, I prefer (in every sense of the word) mermen to mermaids. Still, your proposed tail does sound impressive, and a blue goldfish tail would be really interesting-looking.

Thanks.

Maybe I could warm up to the idea of mermen. Especially myself being a hopeless romantic; who wants to have to go to land to find a guy when you coulld find one of your own kind to marry?

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    Monofin tails are so much fun I think a no monofin tail might be interesting though. I'm thinking of some of that underwater fashion photography with floaty stuff hanging all around.

Something like that but more mermaidy of course Of course that could be quite dangerous. Not that I'm a fantastic swimmer but I have the hardest time swimming anywhere with loose clothing.

Pics soon please!

Here's a recent picture of me:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-E2xudTJeZW...0/DSC02385.JPG

And here's one as me as a mermaid that I took tonight: "No, not deadly."

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-75J-6Rj7XR...0/DSC02448.JPG

~Meriel Enna

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Hamant's Avatar
    Welcome Enna! I am glad to see someone here loves both mermaids and pirates as much as I do! ^^ haha

Senior Member Euro Pod Azurin Luna's Avatar
    Add Azurin Luna on Facebook
    Welcome to the group!
    Your imagination is your only limit

Alberich is a beautiful underwater photographer that has taken several fabric mermaid photos, his work is beautiful. Might be worth a look. Warning there is nudity. http://alberich.deviantart.com/gallery/?q=mermaid

~ Facebook ~ Youtube ~ Model Mayhem

Need a logo? Website? Business Card? Or anything else?
    "You are anything but ordinary, why look it?" E-mail or message me.

Red face

Mermaid Hamant: Gotta love Jackie Sparrow!! XD

Thanks Azurin Luna.

Thanks for the link Sirena. I must wonder...did you get your name from PotC, or did you make it up?

Senior Member Euro Pod Samantha Siren's Avatar
    I FINALLY saw myself in Pirates the other day, I was so happy! Had so much fun filming that movie! The mermaid scene is what sparked me to start into the mermaid industry too!

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Welcome to the Network! I'm Dottie and I'll be the annoying pregnant girl that stalks every thread that looks mildly interesting.
    How are things in the Carolina Waters?
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Welcome!!! We are glad you found us!
    *waves fluke furiously with excitement*

Welcome! from one new mer to the next Enna!! btw your username is the meaning of my name (Marissa) crazy!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    My heart is pierced by Cupid, I disdain all glittering gold,
    There is nothing that can console me but my jolly sailor bold.
    ~ETSY: Trove by the Sea~Google +~FACEBOOK~
    mermaidmarissa.studios@gmail.com

"Imagine a life of wonder"

Senior Member Pod of Cali Nemefish's Avatar
    HELLO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!