Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some questions about Raven's tails!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Some questions about Raven's tails!

Hi! I'm planning to get a tail from either MerBellas or FinFolk (it'll depend on if I could snag one of Raven's slots) and just have a few questions for those who own one of Raven's tails:

1) Do they all have a high waist? Raina is the only mermaid I see regularly in MerBellas tails, so I'm not sure if she specifically asked for this or if this is the standard. I'd want a medium- or (if it doesn't hinder swimming) low-waisted one, so I was wondering if anyone here has one like that.

2) Does the UV/glow in the dark option limit or change your tail colors? I'll probably have access to a dark cavern-esque studio soon, so that'd be a cool option if the tail still looks the same in daylight.

3) And lastly, what's the difference between a basic and a performance tail?

I'm also trying to decide (if Raven has this option — I just know FinFolk does) on whether to get a regular or a competitor monofin. I do swim in the ocean a lot, but it's mostly shallow water, so ... not sure.

If you could answer some of these, that would be great!

Not sure about everything you asked, but I do know Raina specifically asked for a high waisted tail.
    And I'm pretty sure Raven just has the one level of tails now - no more basic.
    Mermaids - not so graceful on land...
    Luna Dreamtide
    (Formerly Leina)

I don't have all the answers, nor do I own a Merbella, but I can hopefully chip in some insight that's been passed around from people who do:

1) I THINK there's a few people who own lower-waisted tails?? I can't remember who, but I'm almost positive that Raven will do a lower waist for you if you ask for it. I think higher waists are more common because you're a bit less likely to get the "butt-gap" showing during swimming than in a low waisted tail.

3) Basic tails are silicone lined with neoprene, performance grade is just silicone. Last I heard, Raven stopped doing basic tails for a while because they ended up being way more work and having more complications than performance grade.

As for the monofins, I think she can accommodate just about anything, but her flukes are really big and moreso designed for foils and competitors so chances are, a smaller monofin would mean a floppier tail with potentially more drag?

1. I specifically asked for it, and my blue and she creature don't have it

2. Not really

3. She doesn't do basic anymore

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Another thing you might want to consider regarding the monofins would be how often you're going to travel with your tail. Competitor monofins do tend to be much larger and stiffer than regular/ trainer monofins, and might make commute and travel fairly tricky, compared to regular ones, which are smaller and flowier.

I have a low waisted one and I also currently own two Merbellas - one basic and one performance, although the performance is currently with her getting some TLC </3 The basic I have has a competitor in it but if she doesn't do them anymore then saving up for the performance is definitely worth it
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Thanks so much everyone, this has really helped me out! I love this forum <3

Spindrift, are the low-waisted ones trickier to swim in, or just about the same? And aww, at least your poor tail is in good hands.

Ianthe: that's the big decision I'm going to have to make, since I do want to travel with it on occasion. I'll discuss the possibility of shipping ahead of time with my parents.

Senior Member Pod of the Great Lakes Arella's Avatar
    Follow Arella On Twitter Add Arella on Facebook
    That's correct, the basic isn't offered any more.

Quote Originally Posted by PetLoverSpy View Post
    Thanks so much everyone, this has really helped me out! I love this forum <3

Spindrift, are the low-waisted ones trickier to swim in, or just about the same? And aww, at least your poor tail is in good hands.

Ianthe: that's the big decision I'm going to have to make, since I do want to travel with it on occasion. I'll discuss the possibility of shipping ahead of time with my parents.

I haven't tried a high waisted one, but my performance one is a dream to swim in. Everything feels pretty natural, even if it wasn't originally made to my size. I would just be careful about not having it so low that when you're sitting up in it, you're not showing /too/much.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

I would think occasional travelling should be okay with the competitor fins, just that there is an additional risk of damage or loss when shipping the tail ahead of time. This might be a problem if you're planning to do a lot of travelling.

Every time we travel with a competitor tail for more than one flight, they lose it and its been delayed coming back to us

Senior Member Euro Pod SeaNymph's Avatar
    Yep, I know the feeling. Last time, not only my tail was delayed, my competitor monofin was completely broken by the airport handling. But it was not a Merbella tail, just also had a competitor.
    From Africa: A calm sea does not make a skilled sailor. Itīs the rough times that make what you are!

You guys are making me worried about my own personal tail. I have three planes to take from Paris to MerMania the 31th of December. Last summer, I took two flights to Tampa in Florida and I didn't have a single issue. But with three flights, should I be concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Arion View Post
    You guys are making me worried about my own personal tail. I have three planes to take from Paris to MerMania the 31th of December. Last summer, I took two flights to Tampa in Florida and I didn't have a single issue. But with three flights, should I be concerned?
    You may want to ship your tail ahead of time if you can. Usually the NC mers don't mind holding it. (I'm not speaking for anyone, so you would want to ask them.)

Accepting Custom Silicone Tail Orders For $1400!
    Slots Taken: 3/3

On Facebook - Custom Orders - Etsy

I think in terms of damage to the tail, wrapping it up in bubble wrap, putting it in a sturdy box with packing peanuts and slapping a 'fragile' sticker on it should be alright. However, in terms of the tail getting held up in customs, I don't think very much can be done, perhaps apart from sticking a notice of sorts on the box to give the customs officers an idea of what is in the box.

Arion- Shipping ahead can be wise.

I find because it is oversized you always have to pick it up and re-check the luggage. On the way to Florida our competitor tail came a day late. On the way home we missed a transfer because of collecting it. I don't want to worry you, but for me doing international travel it has been an issue every time!

From Paris to Charlotte, I have three planes to take. Two hours of wait from London to Montreal and twelve hours of wait from Montreal to Charlotte. Don't you think that's enough time to collect my tail? It's will be the only luggage in the bunker since I will bring a "carry-on" case with me on the plane.

I don't have enough funds for shipping the tail. It's way too expensive for me.

Where do you clear customs? We were supposed to have 2 hours as well. But first plane delayed, luggage delayed, had to do security and customs then re check luggage and we missed our flight you should be fine on the 12 hour wait. It is the 2 hour one I am nervous about. But sometimes they can send your luggage ahead of you if you have a long wait !!

(Sorry for being late, my notifications ended up in spam)

I know all about missing or delayed luggage — every time we travel it's eight suitcases of photography/Arctic gear that inevitably get held up every time xC We travel with delays in mind, so that should be okay, but the breaking worries me. SeaNymph, how was your tail packaged when it broke? I'd like to think it could be avoided like Ianthe said but now I'm not so sure.
    Oh, customs. They open our stuff every time we fly, so honestly ... whatever. Unfortunately used to it by now.

I am going to check the size of a Competitor and match it to my dad's camera cases — they're made for fragile material, so that might work.
    EDIT: I had a hard time finding a source, but one said 28"-23" or 58-70cm. Those with a Competitor, is this about right?
    Last edited by PetLoverSpy; 11-25-2015 at 07:48 PM.

the fluke type depends the size, many flukes are bigger than the competitor.