Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Neoprene Tail skins

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel

Neoprene Tail skins

Hi Mers, (hopefully the right place in the forum)

Putting my fins in the deep end here. Seeing if anyone is interested in just plain neoprene tail skins so that they can paint their own and use their own monofins. I've read some are nervous of working with neoprene but they want a step up without the price-tag to match. I prefer making them as close to seamless as possible rather than sewing with a machine.

I have made 3 neoprene tails so far, excuse the slug one that was a lot of trial and many errors which I learnt from, and a few accessories and a top.

Name:  11997515_10153275538056185_1932125552_n.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  292.4 KB
    Name:  DSCN2846.JPG
Views: 1397
Size:  135.8 KB

Purple and blue scale one was made with wiggle room as it was meant to dry events and a sealed fluke (has been swum in once though, never again as it ballons up). While the black ones is snugger and has been swum in (videos on Adelaide Mermaids fb page). I have showed the seam in both photos, might have to look closely.

The neoprene comes in many colours and has fabric on both sides. I'd ask for a template of the monofin you'd like to use and I use heavy duty velcro to keep the flukes shut (Had velcro on my blue spandex tail, that lasted 2 years with proper care, tail gave up before the velcro). A zip could also be used.

Due to it being Australia they'd start around $350 (edited due to price hike of neoprene here which I didn't know about till I just ordered), keep in mind conversion and shipping which I'll enquire about tomorrow at the post office if I get time.

I won't be taking anything on until the new year as it's the silly season at work and I'm like a chicken with it's head chopped off. But just asking if anyone would be interested.
    Last edited by Ilyena; 01-19-2016 at 08:48 PM.
    When Fantasy is Reality

Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy

I think it's a good idea!
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

This is a really neat idea! I've thought about getting more tailskins to use with my monofin, and being able to buy premade, blank tailskins would be REALLY neat for if I wanted to try painting my own tail. I've thought about making my own neoprene tails, but I don't have the equipment, space, funds or... talent... or anything like that, lol. XD

I think it could really take off. Even with it being in Australia, that's a pretty awesome deal!

Senior Member Pod of the Southwest Vrindavana Starfish's Avatar
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish On Twitter Add Vrindavana Starfish on Facebook
    Follow Vrindavana Starfish on Tumblr Visit Vrindavana Starfish's Youtube Channel
    Excellent idea.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I would be when its closer to MerQuest. Does the neoprene come in a skin color?

I have been practicing for nearly two years, I think it would be a good upgrade for me, esp in winter swimming!
    Formerly known as ireneho

I think this is a really cool idea!! I had a massive fail with my neoprene tail! The main struggle was my Hydra monofin! So I think just to have a skin would be cool, especially one that fit the hydra fin. I like the idea!

Add Ilyena on Facebook
    I'm not confident painting someone elses tail due to how picky I am lol but I like making skins (theres only so many tail skins I can have at once).

I think they had beige. I already have a hydra so they'd be easier to make a skin for rather than waiting for a template.
    When Fantasy is Reality

>
    >

Add Ilyena on Facebook
    When I get access to a working computer I'll post a couple more pictures. Im close to ditching my computer but its probably just a bug
    When Fantasy is Reality

>
    >

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    Woo Australia. I was actually just thinking about how I'd need a neoprene tail skin if I wanted to make a sequin tail. I may hit you up if I ever get around during to it.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Computer is temporarily being nice to me!

Name:  12359472_10153444840246185_2126963293_o.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  119.4 KB
    Name:  12369669_10153444841536185_1030211639_o.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  89.2 KB
    Name:  12369670_10153444845146185_2146400645_o.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  168.7 KB

Zip is a different colour because I didn't have any other on me and eh my tail and I don't mind as long as it got the monofin out easily since it didn't slide out the bottom, the velcro is also in the same tail with the zipfor water drainage means.

Also remembered I have 4 neoprene tails, how that was over looked beats me since they're stacked together lol.
    When Fantasy is Reality

>
    >

Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Hi Mers,

Just got back from 10 days on the beach...well when it wasn't blowing a gale.

I am open to those who would like a plain neoprene skin. Here is the colour list for the neoprene and from experience all colours aren't always available straight away in the 2mm I prefer to use, but they should all be available if ordered (which may take a little longer). Other thicknesses available on request.

Name:  elarge_2.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  245.7 KB

I would either need a template sent of the monofin you would like to use, or a straight on picture with a ruler + your measurements as detailed in the "How to measure for a tail" thread which I cannot find presently.

If you would like to chat about it you can message me here or on my mermaid FB page as it may be easier there.

Hope everyone had a great New Year ^_^
    When Fantasy is Reality

>
    >

Add UtahMermaidPearl on Facebook
    So could I send you my body dummy and you would make it the tail? Is that how this works?

MermaidPearl

Add Ilyena on Facebook
    The thread I was reffering to can be found here: How to Measure for a Tail

Yes, I get a dummy or measurements along with the monofin picture (with a ruler for scale), unless I already have the template for said monofin, and I can make a tail.

I haven't used a body dummy before though, so that may take a little longer so I can double check measurements.
    When Fantasy is Reality

>
    >

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Clara's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Clara On Twitter Add Mermaid Clara on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Clara's Youtube Channel

Neoprene Tail skins

Quote Originally Posted by Ilyena View Post
    Hi Mers,

Just got back from 10 days on the beach...well when it wasn't blowing a gale.

I am open to those who would like a plain neoprene skin. Here is the colour list for the neoprene and from experience all colours aren't always available straight away in the 2mm I prefer to use, but they should all be available if ordered (which may take a little longer). Other thicknesses available on request.

Name:  elarge_2.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  245.7 KB

I would either need a template sent of the monofin you would like to use, or a straight on picture with a ruler + your measurements as detailed in the "How to measure for a tail" thread which I cannot find presently.

If you would like to chat about it you can message me here or on my mermaid FB page as it may be easier there.

Hope everyone had a great New Year ^_^
    Do you have a estimated price? Do they have zippers?
    Update: never mind about the zipper question. I just looked at the pictures again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *Previously know as KellyMermaid*

Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Estimated price starts at $350 AUD, written in the first post somewhere lol but fins and complex fluke designs may be a little more. Postage though starts around $70 over seas but is a case by case basis
    Last edited by Ilyena; 01-19-2016 at 08:49 PM.
    When Fantasy is Reality

>
    >

Oh boy does this excite me!!
    I recently decided to dive into the madness of sequinning a tail. However, I have very limited sewing skills and don't trust myself to make a neoprene tail that won't just fall apart and take all my hard sequinning work with it.
    I was just last night thinking, "Jeez, can't I just find someone who makes plain old non-embellished neoprene tails!? Does anyone do that?"

Fintastic!!!
    Last edited by Calizaire; 01-05-2016 at 09:10 PM.

Sorry to blather on, but your Etsy items are ADORABLE.

Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Thank you. Blather as you wish. I started sewing some random sequins on 3mm neoprene while back for testing and seeing if I could and how I feel to make a whole tail. Haven't tried it on 2mm but I think 3mm neoprene for sequins so you don't accidentally go through the fabric when stitching the sequins on. That's just my thinking.
    When Fantasy is Reality

>
    >

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Clara's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Clara On Twitter Add Mermaid Clara on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Clara's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyena View Post
    Estimated price starts at $300 AUD, written in the first post somewhere lol but fins and complex fluke designs may be a little more. Postage though starts around $70 over seas but is a case by case basis
    Ok, I'm definitely super interested! I kinda need a new neoprene skin for my sequin tail. Mine is completely like a Frankenstein tail. It's been taken in and cut apart and some taking out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *Previously know as KellyMermaid*

Add Ilyena on Facebook
    My first one was kinda a franken tail, that's probably a thread on its own "How not to use neoprene" lol.

But I'd be glad to help anyone who would like a neoprene tail.
    When Fantasy is Reality

>
    >