Thread: Pictures not working?

Pictures not working?

Anyone else having this problem where visiting older threads or even 1/2-day old threads the photos no longer work? This is for photos that were already appearing in the post and not a link from the post.

I normally use Facebook to host my images and then link them to upload here - I don't know if that has anything to do with it.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    it's facebook, if a photo isnt accessed on fb often they put it on a different server which then breaks the original link. it still stays in your FB but it's hosted elsewhere.

I figured that it would have to do something with Facebook hosting it, but that's too bad. I feel like I've only noticed this recently.
    "SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Kelda's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Kelda on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Kelda's Youtube Channel
    I use imgur - the image url stays the same even if you move the pictures to different albums etc.

Yup, FB is REALLY cracking down on hotlinking. It use to be the images would stay up for several months, maybe even a year. But now they are serious biz about people stealing bandwidth that way. I've seen images get broken in a week or a matter of days lately. Best thing to do is use a free image hosting website like imgr or photobucket or dozens (probably even hundreds) of others. It's frustrating as well that we can't tell people to just upload it all on the server either, cause we're running out of space. Our server disk space is 68% percent full.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    Yup, FB is REALLY cracking down on hotlinking. It use to be the images would stay up for several months, maybe even a year. But now they are serious biz about people stealing bandwidth that way. I've seen images get broken in a week or a matter of days lately. Best thing to do is use a free image hosting website like imgr or photobucket or dozens (probably even hundreds) of others. It's frustrating as well that we can't tell people to just upload it all on the server either, cause we're running out of space. Our server disk space is 68% percent full.
    i don't know why, but it keeps saying that 3rd party hosting has been disabled whenever you upload a picture via photobucket

Quote Originally Posted by -Mermaid Amber- View Post
    i don't know why, but it keeps saying that 3rd party hosting has been disabled whenever you upload a picture via photobucket
    They block third party requests so it may be harder to embed an image of them in a 3rd party site if you don't have a corresponding plan for your account. If the request comes from a 3rd party site, they deliver the image you see instead of the real image. That's all.
    Last edited by fabianfrz; 04-18-2018 at 06:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by -Mermaid Amber- View Post
    Photobucket decided after 13 years of being free that people now need to pay for the service- a jaw dropping $399 a year- in order for the photos uploaded to the service to be linked, or posted on other websites. People are saying this "broke the internet" to a degree, which it kind of did. It was once the largest image hosting site, and now ALL of those images are broken, unless people cough up the money. Everyone is super upset about it, and I can't say I blamed them. There was no heads up about it at all before the change. Just broken images everywhere.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

I even can't remove my account or see my own pics (can't even log in) with out paying them first, so I switched over to Flickr, that is way bigger and still free to use.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I tried uploading a photo to a forum post I made and got this error message:

fin.jpg: Exceeds your quota by 15.81 MB. <a href="misc.php?do=attachments" target="_blank">Click here to view your attachments</a>

It was 90 kb file.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    I tried uploading a photo to a forum post I made and got this error message:

fin.jpg: Exceeds your quota by 15.81 MB. <a href="misc.php?do=attachments" target="_blank">Click here to view your attachments</a>

It was 90 kb file.
    I posted a while ago that we were discontinuing user photo albums, and removing them. That was put on hold as we were hoping to find a way to delete them without having to do it manually one by one, but that's the route we're having to go. So starting this month we're in the process of deleting all of them, we've deleted about 500 albums so far. We are also no longer allowing people to upload attachments to the site in threads (you can still post them, they just need to be hosted elsewhere), and I am working on deleting some attachments. We just don't have the server space to continue those amenities on the site anymore, and it's really expensive to have more.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

that should be a site announcement if you have any time! I knew you said a while back it would happen, but forgot LOL

I'm unable to post a imgur-hosted pic in a new thread. What am I missing? I was using the [img][/img] tag, but it didn't work.

yeah Imgur I find you still gotta do the right click copy from source for it to work. I had the same issue

Hrm. Okay, thanks.