Thread: MerTail safety in Australian media and local pool ban!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/pa...auckland-pools

I just found out all of the council run pools in my city have banned mermaid tails, again because of that one video. Ugh, so frustrating! It's 100% because Australia is doing it, so NZ has to do it to.
    I'm so grateful that I live on the coast surrounded by fantastic beaches!

Quote Originally Posted by hellocourtney View Post
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/pa...auckland-pools

I just found out all of the council run pools in my city have banned mermaid tails, again because of that one video. Ugh, so frustrating! It's 100% because Australia is doing it, so NZ has to do it to.
    I'm so grateful that I live on the coast surrounded by fantastic beaches!
    Oh no! So sorry to hear that there are bans happening over there as well! It looks like this issue isn't going away anytime soon, so I think education is the only remedy. While some of the concerns people have against Mermaid tails are valid, we all need to help educate everyone that tails can be safe if used correctly. I'm not sure many people are aware of the safety features of the current generation of fabric tails, that the monofin can be removed easily to allow you to swim normally, or that the tails are indeed designed to be functional swimming tools. I really don't think some people realise that you can actually swim well with them once the technique is learnt. I also think Mermaid classes and a certification test (ie swimming test) as well as maybe additional swimming rules when swimming with tails are needed to help ally the concerns of public pools.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Member formerly known as leomar