Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MerTail safety in Australian media and local pool ban!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Raina!!

We need your help! The naysayers and disbelievers have jumped on the banning bandwagon. Under every pic, they have commented how dangerous and how your kids can drown the minute they put one on etc.

https://www.facebook.com/finfunmermaidau/
    Formerly known as ireneho

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Raina!!

We need your help! The naysayers and disbelievers have jumped on the banning bandwagon. Under every pic, they have commented how dangerous and how your kids can drown the minute they put one on etc.

I looked and the lack of information is appalling. Does no one think for themselves anymore?! Grrrr, those comments make me mad. I'm going to post something supportive.

Quote Originally Posted by Calizaire View Post
    I looked and the lack of information is appalling. Does no one think for themselves anymore?! Grrrr, those comments make me mad. I'm going to post something supportive.
    Yay! Thankyou! Thankyou!
    The more support from pro mers, the better, I think. It just looks to me like fear and ignorance. They don't know that there are other benefits to mermaid swimming, nor they have much info, so to them, its all bad.

I'm going for my weekly swim today too, I ask a couple of the lifeguards, see what they think of it.

Posted! (I'm Mermaid Callie).
    Oh, those comments just burn me up...I had to edit out my snarkiness.

Junior Member Pod of Oceania TheMermanDan's Avatar
    Add TheMermanDan on Facebook
    Visit TheMermanDan's Youtube Channel
    I am going to contact the Project as they have recently featured mermaid tails in a positive light and think this would be an interest stroy for summer to dispel the misinformation.

[QUOTE=AniaR;228672]Believe me, I have gone CRAZY leaving posts all over every single news post. It blows my mind it took like 8 months for them to see this old video lol. and it's not even from Australia.

Hey Raina,

I have sent the Project (popular news and entertainment show on prime time TV) an email regarding what has happened and expressing my concern around the banning of Mertails here in Oz. I quoted you in the email and referenced your post and shared your video. I hope you do not mind. I really should have asked you first.

Fingers crossed they pick up the story.

Its not banned at my pool!

There I was splashing, making big fin slaps, swimming under the lanes, all in my merfin. Nobody blew their whistle, or told me to leave/take off fin. Granted, I didn't have a tail skin on, even then, still nobody said anything bad. We shall see on next week's swim when I bring in a tail.

This is great to hear! I really hope this I end up being an isolated case. I had been swimming there for weeks and then an overnight ban was put in place due to media beat up.

Please take a look at the thread I have put up regarding contacting The Project tv show about Mertails.

Happy splashing. x x

I can't deal with all of these people complaining that they would have to closely supervise their child while wearing the fin. Pretty sure you should be closely supervising your child whenever they're near water anyway 😑

Hopefully this doesn't catch on everywhere in Australia. These sort of things quickly cross the ditch to NZ and I don't want to be banned from pools before I even finish my tail...

Quote Originally Posted by hellocourtney View Post
    I can't deal with all of these people complaining that they would have to closely supervise their child while wearing the fin. Pretty sure you should be closely supervising your child whenever they're near water anyway 

Hopefully this doesn't catch on everywhere in Australia. These sort of things quickly cross the ditch to NZ and I don't want to be banned from pools before I even finish my tail...
    We're sorry! lol

But 9/10 Angry Mothers agree that children wearing THOSE fins are dangerous, based purely on hype. Don't let the facts get in the way of sensationalism!

Quote Originally Posted by -Annwyn- View Post
    We're sorry! lol

But 9/10 Angry Mothers agree that children wearing THOSE fins are dangerous, based purely on hype. Don't let the facts get in the way of sensationalism!
    Lol not your fault guys!

But there was a VIDEO on the you tube where a girl DRWONED so now I am an expert let me tell you how to live your life

Yep, The Checkout pretty much nails what's going on right now...

I've just been to the FinFun website to respond to some of the negative comments. I noticed one woman who was commenting reckoned there was 4 people in Newcastle that had drowned. It's probably heresay but does anyone know anything about this? I saw that FinFun responded to her post asking for verification of the events, so we'll wait and see if she actually responds to that. There was also mention of Mermaid tails being 'banned' here not sure if she is just making this up or if she has info about other places that may have enforced bans? If anyone hears of any other places that are banning Mermaid tails please keep the community updated here!
    Thanks
    Leomar

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    Pretty sure Raina did a lot of research on this and found there were only a hand full of drownings caused by monofins or breath hold (can't remember which sorry) and they were navy trainings or something. Either way so far no one here has been able to find ANY proven report of death involving a mermaid tail.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Raina!!

they must of deleted them? I can't see any

Finfun website or finfun facebook???

I can't find any of the posts you guys are talking about, if you link them I'll go reply.

Ok, I did some digging and found them, lol it just happened when the news thing happened so they're a few weeks old. I replied!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    And now they're banned across ALL of Victoria. Yay.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk