Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Designing a Coat of Arms for the North Pacific Pod

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar

Designing a Coat of Arms for the North Pacific Pod

To help with designing a coat of arms, I just wanted to show an early draft I made a while ago. I didn't like it cause it doesn't have much to connect it to the region. I wasn't really sure what motifs there were for the region that I could use. I think the Chinook Salmon should be your mascot, but I couldn't think of much else that could really symbolize this region.
    Name:  coat_northpacific_001.png
Views: 786
Size:  54.8 KB

Also, heres an image of another design I sketched out. I think the motifs I was thinking of at the time was the chinook salmon, precolumbian forests (not aquatic, but it does have to do with nature) and the night sky.

Name:  north pac sketch.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  16.3 KB

Thoughts?

Update: I just created a Facebook Group for the Pod of the North Pacific! Hopefully this might help with coordinating get-togethers and stuff.
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/252896128117650/
    Last edited by malinghi; 01-16-2012 at 11:45 PM.

Little Orca designed this awesome coat of arms for the pod! I want to post it here for people to discuss. My only constructive criticism is that I'd like the supporters of the coat (the animals pictured on the sides) to be chinook salmon since I'd like all the pods to have their mascot be a fish. I think the orcas would look great somewhere on the shield. Thoughts?

I would love for our crest to be finalized so here goes:

I agree with something kelpy - the pacific northwest has tons of kelp forest in the ocean which support sea otters, a mammal only found here!
    The giant octopus is definitely an idea too - we have tons and ton of them around, just like wolf eels.
    I do like the whales where they are, though I do understand the want to have them all fish. The killer whale has a huge significance to us in the PNW though - we have many resident and transient pods here; they are a part of our mindset and culture. Heck, if you take a ferry in BC you very well might see one of the pods playing near the ships.

If we're absolutely determined to have fish on the sides, may I suggest the silver coho salmon?
    Then on the top part of the crest have half a sun rising (like the BC flag)
    The bottom half of the crest can have maybe teal waves (again, like the BC flag) with three orcas on it (for BC, Washington and Oregon)
    If we want to keep the octopus and kelp on the top, great, but maybe can our octo-buddy be holding a deep purple seastar? Those things are ALL OVER the place. They were the inspiration for my wedding dress colour
    Follow me as I start my journey to become Mermaid Bjossa...
    http://becomingbjossa.blogspot.com/

Though not a fish, I'd second the Orcas as supporters. The very, very, very first thing that comes to mind in terms of water and the PNW for me, and soooo many, is the orca. It's just so ridiculously representative of us.
    If not, though, perhaps an orca to replace the octopus on that second image? That would still put the Orca kinda front-and-center.

(ooh, or I like the three-orcas-on-the-shield idea as well.)

I also love the inclusion of the night stars in the first sketch. Perhaps the northern lights/aurora borealis could be included as well? That would be a great inclusion/representation of Alaska (and probably other parts of the region as well. I'm just only ever in Alaska during the part of the year when they're visible. )

Hmm, I didn't even think of representing Alaska on the crest...maybe we can put a king crab on the top instead of an octopus?

I need to sketch something, I have SO many ideas...eee!
    Follow me as I start my journey to become Mermaid Bjossa...
    http://becomingbjossa.blogspot.com/

I really like the Octopus on top I think it would look good with a seastar too..Humm...What about a Sturgeon for the fish?

sturgeon! i second. what if the background was a tide pool? starfish and anemones?

We do have TONS of anemones......and there pretty like sea flowers

If someone designs a professional looking and digitally clean crest, I may be willing to have flag made that we can put up at meet-ups

Iona, that sounds so awesome! I was thinking of trying to get a flag for the pod of Cali. If I brainstorm some stuff and send you some files before the meet-up this weekend, could you guys discuss ideas while you're all in one place? I'd love to wrap this one up and have a final design.

Also, about the supporter- not to be pushy, but I would like the supporters to be a fish. I think the orca should go on the shield instead. As for fish to be supporters, if you want the sturgeon you can have it, but the Chinook Salmon would also be a good option. What do you guys think?

The first one looks bad-ass, all attitude and stuff! The second one's colors are pretty though! The chinhook salmon is the Oregon state fish as well I'm leaning toward the sturgeon because it looks friggin awesome. Google Image that fish and tell me that isn't an awesome fish!

agreed! sturgeon are pretty bad ass. At the pier and aquarium meetup everyone should bring sketches!

Yes we do have a lot of Salmon.....but the Sturgeon are really amazeing fish too!!!! They get HUGE and live a long time.

I was going to suggest an octopus since we do have the largest octopi in the world but I see that its already been included.

Here's a sketch I drew and took a picture of with my phone. It incorporates several of the stuff that people liked, like the orca, the octopus, and the sturgeons as supporters. Let me know what you think. I can probably find time to start work on a digital one sometime next week.

Name:  pod_of_north_pac_002.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  66.8 KB

I think its perfect but maybe our little orca should be just a tiny bit bigger.

Friggin awesome! We have so much cool stuff on there! I almost feel bad for the other pods :P

I really like it!! Mabe a starfish on the bottom of the sheild?

Name:  120730-173844.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  69.4 KB

here is a sketch that incorporates alaska with the northern lights in the background