Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Designing a Coat of Arms for the Chesapeake Pod

I do like the stained glass look of the crab, Shymer... not that wild about the seaweed, though, particularly since it figures heavily in another pod's crest. I think I prefer a bit more complexity, albeit not as much as mine.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    Here's a thought-
    Name:  coat of arms2.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  118.4 KB

This way we can have possibly a couple of other things in the top corners, though I don't feel like coming up with them right now. I did try drawing a moon in the top left hand corner, but it looked chunky because of the anchor. It might be good to stretch the neck of anchor so it wasn't so cramped there.

I know it's getting hacked up from all the messing around, also the color's really messy. It's just for playing around anyway.
    If I were being more serious about it I'd also use more contrast. It's not very readable from a distance.

I like how it is divided more than the seaweed thing proportions are making me happier than before as well.
    Last edited by ShyMer; 02-07-2012 at 11:22 PM. Reason: stuff I forgot :)

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    I just realized I can include the high resolution version with layers as an attachment. Here is a copy of the file in .psd format (photoshop document). I think it should be compatible with Painter, but if it isn't, may I recommend Gimp? It's an open source alternative to photoshop.

This isn't just for ShyMer. Aqua and Joy&Raptors, I love seeing what you've made, and feel free to play around too. If you don't have gimp, I totally recommend downloading it.
    http://www.gimp.org/

This version has some striped bass on the sides, the banner, a seagull on top, and some extra ornamentation. Just some possible options.
    Name:  coatchesapeake_002.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  53.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Chesapeake Pod
    Thanx for the link! This coat of arms is gonna look awesome!
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

In any case we have a couple different ideas that we can take from for a final. Does anyone have anything they like from the previous versions that we might want to use or modify for our coat of arms?
    Unless anyone can come up with an alternative, I like using a sea gull for the top part.

Goodness, I feel picky. Have we had the most fussiness over coat of arms design so far or what?

i had a thought, what about Shymer's newest version with the outer decorations of the coat of arms from malinghi?
    like this (copy & paste for the win) Name:  coa finished..jpg
Views: 424
Size:  101.5 KB
    just an idea

oooh! Lovely! It's so fancy!

I like brianna's idea!
    Instagram: @harrietmedmonds
    Twitter: @babsannee

"Immortality is simply ubiquity in time." - Herman Melville
    "Be the flame, not the moth." - Giacomo Casanova

I'd still like to replace the fish with searobins or flying fish, and I'd want to get the seagull facing straight forward at the viewer instead of off to the side... also, does the chesapeake have seaweed like that? I mostly encounter that reddish seaweed that branches like antlers, and the green translucent seaweed that looks like plastic tissues.

thanks, babsie (: i was looking at their ideas and thought, i wonder what it would look like if i combined them? lol.
    joy&raptorsunrestrained, first off, i love your name. lol. and WOAH, the chesapeake has flying fish?! i never knew that.

Technically the Chesapeake Pod includes areas that are a bit removed from the Chesapeake, including the Jersey Shore and its access to the Atlantic. The Chesapeake definitely has Sea Robins, however, as shown here http://www.chesapeakebay.net/fieldgu.../category/fish (you have to scroll down to see them).

And thanks! I wanted something... that implied playful havoc, when I chose my name.

I found some nice photos of sea robins with their fins open- they're pretty cool looking. I think I like the flying fish too though. They have a more attractive head shape to me.
    I like the way the ribbons look on the outside, even if we don't really have seaweed like that around here.

So how are we going to decide on a final version? I guess we could do a poll, but I think I want to see more discussion and participation before we do that.

I'm a pretty intense artist, so I'll start sketching... I think that the chesapeake is pretty known for the beauty of it. You know? The tidal wetlands, the oysters, the itty bitty seahorses, the crabs... all of these things. Our crest must have beauty that captures the bay that it represents, right? Let's get to work <3 I'll post the drawing whenever I'm happy with it.
    “Peter was not with them for the moment, and they felt rather lonely up there by themselves. He could go so much faster than they that he would suddenly shoot out of sight, to have some adventure in which they had no share.
    He would come down laughing over something fearfully funny he had been saying to a star, but he had already forgotten what it was, or he would come up with mermaid scales still sticking to him, and yet not be able to to say for certain what had been happening.
    It was really rather irritating to children who had never seen a mermaid.”
    ― J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Chesapeake Pod
    I love your idea Brianna <3
    "Silence is beautiful, not awkward. The human tendency to be afraid of something beautiful is awkward."

I agree. I love Brianna's combination

I look forward to seeing Shana's work I'm glad we're revisiting this topic again. Do you think we'd need more behind the crab? I guess if it had some sort of side decoration it wouldn't need as much in the center, but I still don't know...

Chesapeake Pod
    ^ I think it looks wonderful right there by its self

OK, I want part of the focus of this to be that we have a sort of in between with the chesapeake. The Chesapeake is a place where land and water coexists in a very beautiful way, and I want it to be emphasized with this. So keep that in mind- I've got other ideas :]Name:  Photo on 2012-06-05 at 13.33.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  57.6 KB
    “Peter was not with them for the moment, and they felt rather lonely up there by themselves. He could go so much faster than they that he would suddenly shoot out of sight, to have some adventure in which they had no share.
    He would come down laughing over something fearfully funny he had been saying to a star, but he had already forgotten what it was, or he would come up with mermaid scales still sticking to him, and yet not be able to to say for certain what had been happening.
    ― J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

Psst... I want to put "Heaven and earth have never agreed better to frame a place for man's habitation." (Capt. John Smith) as the quote in the banner section.
    ― J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan

I think the text is a good idea but would be difficult to see- if we were going to have the coat of arms on a tshirt, for example, the text would be really, really tiny. It's a nice idea though.