Thread: Rocky Mountain Crest

Lightbulb Rocky Mountain Crest

So the idea of a crest has been brought up once more since the beginning of the MerNetwork. The Rocky Mountain Pod is now inclusive of Colorado, Utah, Wyoming, Montana, and parts of Idaho.

For right now, I believe I am the only member who is consistently active on this site so I am go to post my two cents about what I would like our coat of arms to look like. If other members would like to chime in as more people join or return PLEASE feel free. I want more than one opinion but for the time being, it's probably going to just be me.

Anyways, I did some research and found out that each state fish within our pod is some subspecies of the cutthroat trout. So for our mascot I think we should use the Greenback Cutthroat Trout because it is more colorful and less plain than other species.

I did a rough drawing of this idea I had for the actual crest which I will post shortly.

Till then anybody, really anybody feel free to chime in.

"She felt a sarcastic impulse to point out to him that in some circles "inhuman" would be considered a compliment..."

- Waking Storms, Sarah Porter

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    To help people get more input, I've started making facebook groups for the different pods in advance of completing designs for a coat of arms. It might be easier to recruit people on there, since there are plenty of mers that don't necessarily use this website.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/323759260991747/
    Last edited by malinghi; 01-16-2012 at 11:46 PM.

Okay I drew this yesterday. Do not judge my use of crayons. Haha. I thought it could feature the rocky mountains against a beautiful sunset. Then underneath it: in the middle some lake plants, and then simple patterns on the left and right. The straight lines are supposed to represent still water like lakes, ponds, and pools, and the wavy lines are supposed to represent moving water like the creeks, brooks, and rivers that each of these states have (considering we are a pod with no ocean). Just some thoughts.

OH and the fish mascot.... the greenback cutthroat trout ->

Posing jumping-bass-style on either side:

Thoughts?

"She felt a sarcastic impulse to point out to him that in some circles "inhuman" would be considered a compliment..."

I tried to make a coat of arms roughly based on Aquatarian's design. I thought too many of the coats so far have the son on them and use warm colors, and I thought the moon and cool colors would work well for a mountainous region.I'd like to clean the fish and the seaweed up a bit, but overall what do you guys think?

I like the moon idea but I feel like it has a ton of blue on it. We get awesome sunsets here on the moutains so maybe some purple/pink could enhance it? Like the pink from the fish.

^ I agree about the pinks in the fish. And and as much as I love the moon, we do get some awesome sunsets along the mountain range. I would like to keep the sunset if possible.

I just tried adding a sunset. I can make it more sunsettish if you want me to. If you say this isn't quite majestic enough yet I won't be offended. But generally speaking, is this close to what you're thinking?

Name:  coat_rockymountain2b.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  67.5 KB

Since the sun is below the horizon, the horns of the crescent moon would be pointing upward. I like it, though I don't really have a right to an opinion here.

Alveric

SOOOOOOOOO much better. I like it a lot! Thank you Malinghi and Aquatarian!

Since the sun is below the horizon, the horns of the crescent moon would be pointing upward. I like it, though I don't really have a right to an opinion here.

Alveric
    Ha, how dare you point out a mistake in basic physics! I think it would actually look great with the crescent moon rotated 90 degrees. Thanks for the heads up.

I love the Rocky Mountain crest with the sunset!

It's looks really cool btw.
    Hugs, fishes, and mermaid kisses!

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    Hello! I like that crest a lot, particularly since I've seen sunrises that look like that from my parents' house. That's a great choice of fish, too. Lovely colors.
    It has my vote!
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod Mermaid Dottie's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Dottie On Twitter Add Mermaid Dottie on Facebook Add Mermaid Dottie on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Dottie's Youtube Channel
    So... Is this official?
    Mermaid Dottie
    ATTENTION: Please use extreme caution when feeding the mermaid. Failure to do so could result in loss of digits.

Member Rocky Mountain Pod Shivice's Avatar
    Is the Coat of Arms finished with the moon tilted 90 degrees??
    " Look out lad a mermaid be waiting for you. In mysterious fathoms below. "

IDK. Let's make sure everything looks accurate. But otherwise I don't see why not. Let's a get a final product down tho.