Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lift the ban on mermaid tails in victorian pools

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Adrienne's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Adrienne on Facebook

Lift the ban on mermaid tails in victorian pools

Yes! This has me really worried, the whole of Vic may ban them before I even have a chance to swim in my tail!

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Member formerly known as leomar

Senior Member Pod of Oceania AnnaAbyss's Avatar
    Just signed it. This makes me so furious. -___-

Treading water for 5 mins though? Shesh! Thats a little over the top? The fin fun safety video recommends 20 seconds. I would think 1 min should be more than enough?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    For me treading water is hella easy though, I could seriously do that for ages. But yeah, for kids it's a bit over the top. 2 minutes, that's what I learnt in primary school swim classes.

Member Undisclosed Pod
    YMCA.. How I wish the Y would let me swim in my monofin. I should write an email. I could before, swam in it a couple times. And boom! I wasn't allowed anymore. I didn't do anything wrong. They said they had a meeting and idk
    anyways. Some YMCAs I read on here allow monofins?

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I signed too. Mine is not YMCA pool, so if you're around Sydney, come along for a swim!
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    Adults are adults not kids. so by banning tails makes it unfair for the rest or us. the banning has occurred due to the fact the most people that swim in tails are KIDS. which have very little understanding of the water and are still learning to tread water. the YMCA pools should have strict rules that ONLY APPLY to KIDS and Parents. Having an ADULT in the POOL while swimming can help prevent drowning but also have an Adult WATCHING you. Its is far easier to dive in and save someone then having to swim across the pool, save time. this is what i was told in high school. no teacher was allowed in the pool because if someone got into a little trouble its easier to get to them. there are Plenty of Rules and guidelines that could be endorsed to make it safe for Everyone. The fear of drowning is an Understatement really as you can drown in a fucking inch of water. Its simply an Excuse because it happens to be a tail.

Q. does this include MONOFINS as well?

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Saren's Avatar
    Follow Saren On Twitter
    Follow Saren on Tumblr Visit Saren's Youtube Channel
    Treading water for 5 minutes isn't that bad though. The FinFun test is made with children in mind. At my local pool children have to swim 50m unassisted and tread water for 2 min in order to be allowed to swim in the large pool without an adult within arms reach. To be SCUBA certified I had to tread water for 10min. All that aside, I signed the petition.
    Mermaid Saren
    ||Tumblr||YouTube||Instagram||Twitter||

user formerly known as Fayrn

Quote Originally Posted by Saren View Post
    Treading water for 5 minutes isn't that bad though. The FinFun test is made with children in mind. At my local pool children have to swim 50m unassisted and tread water for 2 min in order to be allowed to swim in the large pool without an adult within arms reach. To be SCUBA certified I had to tread water for 10min. All that aside, I signed the petition.
    I think you don't want to make the barriers for Mermaid swimming too high as it will totally turn off parents from buying tails for their kids. 5 mins is probably OK for a reasonably fit swimmer but 2 mins should be more than enough for kids. I'm guessing the treading water thing is so you can stay where you are and be rescued in time without drowning. If you're wearing a tail you just swim to the nearest barrier or wall.

Follow Saren On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by leomar View Post
    I think you don't want to make the barriers for Mermaid swimming too high as it will totally turn off parents from buying tails for their kids. 5 mins is probably OK for a reasonably fit swimmer but 2 mins should be more than enough for kids. I'm guessing the treading water thing is so you can stay where you are and be rescued in time without drowning. If you're wearing a tail you just swim to the nearest barrier or wall.

If parents want to buy tails for their children, their kids better be good swimmers already. If not, then parents should be watching their children closely. It's because of "drowning" children and media uproar that lead to this ban isn't it?

I believe you are right though, 2 min should be reasonable for a child and 5 min for an adult.
    Mermaid Saren

Quote Originally Posted by Saren View Post
    If parents want to buy tails for their children, their kids better be good swimmers already. If not, then parents should be watching their children closely. It's because of "drowning" children and media uproar that lead to this ban isn't it?

I believe you are right though, 2 min should be reasonable for a child and 5 min for an adult.
    I guess its whatever would make the lifeguards of pools feel at ease. I must admit I would prefer a high barrier to entry then an outright ban.

Follow Saren On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by leomar View Post
    I guess its whatever would make the lifeguards of pools feel at ease. I must admit I would prefer a high barrier to entry then an outright ban.

As would I. It's in fact what I'm doing so I can swim with a tail at my local pool. I just hope the Victoria Tail Ban gets revoked.
    Mermaid Saren

Quote Originally Posted by Trident True View Post
    Q. does this include MONOFINS as well?
    A. Yes, judging by what's written on the ban notice: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Would sign, can't sign, I would feel irresponsible....

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDragon Mermaid View Post
    Would sign, can't sign, I would feel irresponsible....
    In what way?

Woo, I just went to the pool today and did a self swim test because it's been years since I've been swimming, and I can still swim at least 25m in all styles, tread water for 8 minutes (I probably could have gone heaps longer but I got distracted by the kid stealing my kick board), and hold my breath underwater for about 30-45 seconds! Also I asked the life guards if they allow monofins and tail swimming, and said it was for myself and that I'm a strong swimmer and getting tail swimming lessons etc, and they said yes!

Hi to all Mers reading this, can you please urgently sign this petition if you haven't already to have the Mermaid tail ban in Australia removed? I feel if it continues it will only spread further, as shown by the fact it is now banned in Auckland pools, and who knows where next. We need everyone's support. Even though this ban may not affect you personally it has the potential to spell an end to mermaiding as an allowable hobby in Australia and eventually other parts of the world.

https://www.change.org/p/anthea-hanc...swimming-pools

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    Talking to a lady who runs the mermaid classes in SA, we're going to be contacted by someone in the media and we are trying to meet to discuss strategies and find away around this.
    When Fantasy is Reality

Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I'm wondering about the "quick release". I thought it took quite a bit of time and effort to get out of a silicone tail. Are you planning on having those banned? Also, my tail, made from the lunocet, it somewhat hard to get out of, because I have to get to the velcro strap on the shoes. I'm not very flexible, so its hard for me to do. I normally take it off while sitting on the steps, and it can take more than a couple of seconds. I'm not sure I could do it while floating in the water.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!