Thread: Questions on Mermaid Backstories!

Red face Questions on Mermaid Backstories!

Hello! I am a new mermaid and I was wondering if there are any set explanations to questions little kids may ask? Such as, "Where in the water do you live? (Underwater, a cove above, etc)" "What do you eat? (would eating fish be caniblism?)" Also, are more scales scary to little ones? I really want to do a make up with scales on like my shoulder and neck and such but does that scare little ones?

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    There's nothing really set, it changes from mermaid to mermaid, I say I live in the kelp forests and I eat fish and kelp. Kids do get scared but I think it would be ok to add extra scales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Wesley View Post
    There's nothing really set, it changes from mermaid to mermaid, I say I live in the kelp forests and I eat fish and kelp. Kids do get scared but I think it would be ok to add extra scales.

Alrighty, thank you

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MermaidSabrina's Avatar
    Add MermaidSabrina on Facebook
    I tell kids that I live in a cozy underwater cave,and that I usually eat kelp,but that I really love "Human food" (I don't say fish,because honestly what kid wants to imagine Ariel eating flounder.I mean really)

Do they ever ask how you breathe underwater? .o. (or does the cave have an air bubble? haha)

"How do I breathe? Uhh... In through my nose and out my mouth 0-0"
    The SeaGlass Siren

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod MermaidSabrina's Avatar
    Add MermaidSabrina on Facebook
    I tell them I'm like a dolphin,J can't breathe underwater,but I can hold my breath for a while :3

Senior Member Pod of Cali Ashton's Avatar
    Add Ashton on Facebook Add Ashton on Google+
    Follow Ashton on Tumblr Visit Ashton's Youtube Channel
    I just tell them "I live in the water... Have you ever been there?" If they ask if I eat fish I say my hidden disney quote "Fish are friends, not food" (I dont eat seafood to begin with anyway.
    When kids ask how do you change into a human I just tell them I have to 'dry out'. But i feel like i should change it to saying something about a magic gem or something...

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashton View Post
    I just tell them "I live in the water... Have you ever been there?" If they ask if I eat fish I say my hidden disney quote "Fish are friends, not food" (I dont eat seafood to begin with anyway.
    When kids ask how do you change into a human I just tell them I have to 'dry out'. But i feel like i should change it to saying something about a magic gem or something...
    I usually say I like to eat cake. If you're working a party, SOMEONE will bring you cake!

As for changing, just say 'It's like farting. It just happens.' Gets big laughs every time.

Haha I was wondering some of the same things... My mom was mermaiding at a beach in the bahamas and little kids were so excited saying "wow a real mermaid!" but then the older ones said "that's not a reeeeaaal mermaid." She wasn't wearing a super realistic silicone silicone tail, but it's enough for the little kids to believe. There's a golden age where kids will believe what they see and what they tell you (like someone in a ridiculous Micky Mouse costume is the real live version of the cartoon mouse), and then there's the next phase where they still believe in magic and mermaids, but they're suspicious and looking for holes in the story. What do you do if one calls you out in attempt to seem cool infront of the other kids?

While I looove seafood, I'm actually very torn about eating it now that I know 50% of the fish in the sea are gone and it's predicted that we have until 2050 until the ocean is out of fish completely! I think it could be an important opportunity to educate children. I wouldn't go so far as to promote veganism, but teaching about sustainability or at least sustainably caught seafood is so important.

When kids have nail polish on their toes I will say "your nails on you bottom arms looks pretty"

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    When kids are skeptical, I just get silly to get their minds away from it. "You're not a real human" or "how come you wear clothes on your feet??"

Yeah, when asked "are you real?" I respond with "are YOU real??" (implying that they are in a human costume).

I love the "Are you a real human?" questions. They make the kid think and are my favorite ways to answer someone.
    "The Mer in me, it's easy to see. Long golden tresses, a heart set free in the Sea."