Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Denver Aquarium Mermaids

Denver Aquarium Mermaids

So I am sure a couple of us have come across them at some time or another, but a couple of years ago The Downtown Denver Aquarium started a mermaid attraction. It consists of a short show that talks about the importance of sustainability and recycling. There is also a meet and greet area where you can talk to each of the mermaids. You can youtube the show if you want to see it. Here is a behind the scenes video they film during one of their shows:

I recently came across another vid that was posted a few weeks ago. From the looks of it, it was part of the Holiday show they did during December. Here it is!

As you can see, the tails they originally used look a little sad. They are all the same color, and they look baggy and bunched up at times. Thankfully they have made a purchase from a professional tailmaker (mertailor) from the looks of the holiday show, they have at least 2 latex tails and a silicone tail. BUT sad day yet again, the monofin in the silicone tail looks broken almost in half! It's a shame spending so much money only to have it break after a short time.

I was thinking about trying to contact them on facebook or try emailing them to see if they wanted to join us. And if this is in the wrong spot please move it. haha.

"She felt a sarcastic impulse to point out to him that in some circles "inhuman" would be considered a compliment..."

- Waking Storms, Sarah Porter

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    looks like the whole left side of the fluke broke so sad.

I like their performance though- in the wikee watchee (sp?) videos I've seen it doesn't look like they move around very much- mostly just hanging out in the middle with their air tubes. These guys do a pretty good job keeping someone out and swimming around while the others are getting a breath. Maybe they didn't do as many tricks as I might have expected, but I really would rather watch swimming over tricks anyway.

I applied to be one, got nothing back. Probably because I am not the size they are looking for. Also I've seen the show in person before they got the new tails. It looks like they've improved the show, I am biased but I expected more when I saw it :P.

I kinda agree. They aren't even holding their breath for that long, only 5-7 at a time. I think part of it is people in Colorado aren't really accustom to seeing mermaids or anything ocean related so expectations are kind of low. haha.

Except for that guy in the holiday vid, lol, "they do a lot of waving..."

Yes. Yes they do.

"She felt a sarcastic impulse to point out to him that in some circles "inhuman" would be considered a compliment..."

do the weekee wachee mermaids "talk" like these mermaids do? I thought that maybe one of the reasons they kept the lines so short is because it must be somewhat difficult to "act" and "speak" underwater and achieve the same consistency from show to show without running the risk of danger to the actors (especially since these fish don't have a breathing tube and must surface every time to breathe). I do agree that I would like to have seen a little more "choreography" not just quick lines

* Weeki Wachee

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod
    Ah, the Denver Aquarium....
    Myself and a couple other mers from Aquatails did the pilot performance. They gave us a lame excuse why we didn't get hired- they said they were putting the plans "on hold". then they hired these gals. I went back to re-audition. "sorry, you're too fat" (I'm a size 10)
    And now, almost exactly a year after I slipped and told Eric the Mertailor I wanted to audition in one of his tails, there they are, in his tails. ugh.

Oh man. That's not cool!

Being part of this community to me means that there is vast acceptance for who we are. That's part of why we are here. Regardless of whether a job is preformance related, I really on't like companies or organizations that discriminate. I'm sorry you both were turned away by these people.

I also didn't like the fact that in an interview they claimed to be the only Aquarium in the country so far to be doing something like a mermaid show (we all know that's know that's not true).

@NikkiLee It's also a little extra salt in the wound that the whole mertailor thing that dominoed was kind of set up by you. I'm sorry.

This just reminded me of something I came across a while ago...

M.A.S.O. Stands for Mermaids Against Stereotyping and Objectification. haha. I think that this really represents this community because everyone here looks different, both guys and girls. We are all different ages, heights, we come from all over the world, we speak different languages, but we come here and share this board together. Just saying I'm glad to be here I guess. And it really sucks when there is any kind of job discrimination.

That is brilliant! I love it! MASO just became part of my vocabulary; thank you!
    Mermaid Shelly
    www.mermaidshelly.com

MASO - YES! I still get caustic barbs over mycurvy shape. Sometimes it's very difficult to brush them off....

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLee View Post
    Ah, the Denver Aquarium....
    Myself and a couple other mers from Aquatails did the pilot performance. They gave us a lame excuse why we didn't get hired- they said they were putting the plans "on hold". then they hired these gals. I went back to re-audition. "sorry, you're too fat" (I'm a size 10)
    And now, almost exactly a year after I slipped and told Eric the Mertailor I wanted to audition in one of his tails, there they are, in his tails. ugh.
    I remember when you guys did that. You posted a couple videos of it on youtube. I was actually applying to grad school at the time, and I told Jerilyn that if I ended up going to the University of Colorado I really wanted to audition for your group. I was totally fantasizing about performing with you guys at the Denver Aquarium. When I saw that they had kept the idea but replaced you guys I thought that was really obnoxious of them. Its terrible how they treated all of you.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Neria's Avatar
    I am going to start saying MASO

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod ShyMer's Avatar
    Aww that's so sad I guess I don't like the Denver Aquarium mermaids anymore.

Also, I love that image.

Nikki- do you still have the audition up on youtube?

Oh holy shit that tail fluke IS broken! (stifles a laugh) wish I could say I felt bad for the aquarium spending that kind of money on a junk tail, but I don't..... Sucks to be the mermaid wearing it though, I bet the push power is almost zero.
    ....you know, here's the thing- I think the show is kitchy and corny; all that high-pitched baby talk they have for the girls makes them sound a little dim in my opinion... I'm disappointed that's the direction they took. Yeah, I did still try for the job, I guess because my experience swimming was so amazing! That and I love performing.
    @shymer- the video is on YouTube; look up "AquaTails Mermaids!". I'm in the lime green tail. Jerilyn is in Gold and Josh is in the blue tail
    @malinghi- thanks. It blows. But that's life... And I know AQT would be glad to have you if you are ever here.
    @Aquatarian- I love MASO. we ARE all different, it's my favorite thing about this community. I know for a fact the Aquarium hired those girls based almost entirely on their "look" AKA- the Disney mermaids. They literally LOOKED at me and decided I didn't even deserve to get back in the water. My skill in the YouTube vid is not great, mind you- I was still very out of shape from having my second daughter. I deserved another chance. I think I still do. I swear, I should get a petition going to force them to give talented mers like ReveDeu, myself and ALL the beautiful curvy girls the CHANCE to do this. Sorry Denver Aquarium- this is bullshit.
    Rant ended

PS.... I posted what they did to me in reply to a girl asking about the job.
    It's on the Downtown Aquarium FB page. The girl asking was Kayleigh King. Check it out and back me up, guys.

NikkiLee, did you make all the text of your post into a link, or is it some kind of error?

must be an error.. not sire whats up with that. Ideas? it keeps happening, on this one too. not sure how to fix that

What I don't get, is that they hire people that consider it just a job, as opposed to us who actually LOVE what we do, do it all the time, are experienced and have a complete passion for it. I always thought if someone was passionate about a job, they perform much better than those who do not have an absolute passion for it. I've lost 10 lbs since I've applied and will apply again. Not only that but if they wanted real seashell tops, I could provide them with that. I'm still going to ask them, I don't like the swimsuit look lol. I just don't think its fair at all. :/

I saw your post Nikki. It will be interesting if she replies.

she's not gonna respond, and apparently neither is the aquarium. What ever.

NikkiLee, did you make all the text of your post into a link, or is it some kind of error?
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiLee View Post
    must be an error.. not sire whats up with that. Ideas? it keeps happening, on this one too. not sure how to fix that
    Well, the text is linked to the page for the Rocky Mountain Pod, so I thought that you being in that pod might somehow cause it, but other people in that pod don't have that error. Could you try leaving the pod and then posting to see if the error still occurs? To leave a group, go here: http://mernetwork.com/index/profile....editusergroups.