Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Denver Aquarium Mermaids

Ah thank you. That's good to know! Do you also feel that it's because they are looking for a specific look?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    No, it's because they don't pay very well and most aquariums don't really respect or want mermaids lol. They do it as a draw to bring people in, and typically hire existing aquarium staff so they can pay them less. A friend of mine works there and works there as a person and a mermaid and I think she's fairly diverse looking.

But this is fairly standard across most aquariums. some don't pay at all (Last I heard Ripley's stopped paying mers but allows you to use their logos for "exposure") and more often than not if you see a mer in an aquarium, they've PAID to do it. There's a few threads on this.

It doesn't hurt to try, it's just not the prestigious thing everyone thinks it is. The mers I know who work in aquariums are some top notch women tho I will say that!

I'm glad that's the reason, and not only aesthetic reasons! Does your friend feel the aquarium does a good job taking care of the animals? That is what I truly care about, and I like that their show is aimed to teach children to keep the ocean clean. If I ever got the opportunity I would want to continue that into meet and greets. I even offered to volunteer! It really would be to teach kids and be around the animals and get to swim. I appreciate the encouragement, maybe after some practice (and some weight loss!) I will give it a try.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    it sounds like your heart is in the right place and you'd be a good fit, it's just that dozens and dozens of mermaids come to them for the same thing!

Yeah. :/ You're right.