Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Denver Aquarium Mermaids

Yeah I commented with my own opinion the matter. It's really not ok to discriminate based on appearance. If you are good during the performances and work well with kids then there should be no problem because that is the gist of the job.

It's worng to think mermaids are all one size. I mean if you look at Mermaid Melissa, she is very succesful with her mermaiding and she is not the skinniest person in the world. But she loves what she does and I think that makes a huge difference like you said, RêveD'eau.

Even the mermaids at Weeki Wachee (who they mentioned looking at for inspiration in an interview) are not all perfect in body type. Besides I thinks it's important for kids, and little girls especially, to see someone they really admire who doesn't look perfect. It's makes dreams more tangible for kids because they know they won't have to be "perfect" in order to achieve certain dreams.

Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes and I think that needs to be projected a lot more by the media.

"She felt a sarcastic impulse to point out to him that in some circles "inhuman" would be considered a compliment..."

- Waking Storms, Sarah Porter

Aquatarian I agree with you completely! Weather short, tall, round or thin all mermaids should have a chance to be in a show. I hope I never lose a job because of my height >.<

~ Facebook ~ Youtube ~ Model Mayhem

Need a logo? Website? Business Card? Or anything else?
    "You are anything but ordinary, why look it?" E-mail or message me.

I'm frankly amused by the idea that the aquarium in question is not keen to hire performers who might be slightly larger than what they percieve as "average" for something that I can only presume is a family-oriented show based on the themes and setting mentioned.

If this were a job perfroming in a bar, I'd still be disappointed that they were ignorant of the way in which they were encouraging a negative stereotype, but at least they could fall back on the old excuse that the mermaids were there to be looked at in an adult capacity.

Nice message to give to all those impressionable young girls who love mermaids: "Remember, fat = no fins!"

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    that text error has happened for a lot of others too. Are the tails being referenced here the ones mentioned in this post?

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    that text error has happened for a lot of others too. Are the tails being referenced here the ones mentioned in this post?
    I don't think so. The DA mermaid's tails seem to all fit, and the person in the other post lives in Hawaii I think. Not sure though, don't take my word for it!!

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod
    Yeah, I'm fairly sure the DA tails fit fairly well, but it does look to me like the fluke on the silicone one is broken. I kinda wonder if theres a possibility that that particular tail is the same one he was selling on Ebay this time last year, but repainted. He stated in the ad that the mono fin had broken in the tail... Just a thought I had pass thru my head. ANYWAY... here's the thing- If the Aquarium wants skinny girls who see this as a "job" or a way to get themselves in the spotlight, they should say upfront- "we are looking for SLENDER girls who are decent swimmers." I know the swim test they have in place is mandatory to get an underwater audition- swim a 200 freestyle in under 3 minutes, a 50 fly (can't remember the time on that one) and the length of the pool underwater with no breath. I'm thrilled that they at least test for aquatic competency, but this size thing is just re-goddamn-diculous. There was a curvy mer at week wachee- she was awesome! but I digress.

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod JessAJenk's Avatar
    Hi Everyone- I just came across this thread and I'm saddened to see that this is how everyone views the Denver Aquarium Mermaids. I've been a mermaid at the aquarium for over a year and it takes grueling try-outs and training to get "show ready". I personally come from a 16+ year synchronized swimming career, I was a mermaid in the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie and I've stayed fit by swimming. All of this is what landed me the job at the aquarium. You must be beyond comfortable in 16 feet water, be in good shape, have great stamina, be able to hold your breath for up to a minute, not flinch at animals swimming around you and do all of this while looking graceful and natural in the 70 degree water. Many people believe all we need to do is look pretty but there's so much more behind it. We are all scuba certified, take skin diving classes and go through hours upon hours of training. One of our last shows included a 45 second breath hold in the middle of the routine that many of us almost passed out after numerous of times. Many months out of the year we swim up to 17 shows a day. Do you know how many sinus and ear infections we've had? haha! We are all just as obsessed with "merming", as we call it, as you all are! We love our job! We get the amazing opportunity to swim with the animals, inspire children and teach about the environment. I hope this has helped some of you see the other side of the spectrum!

Also, yes, the gold tail in that video is broken! So sad, it is beautiful! It has retired to the top of the mermaid locker.

I actually just went to the Denver aquarim. But sadly I didn't get to see the mermaid show. I have to say I think alot of people on this thread are jumping to conclusions. It sounds to me like JessAJenk is very qualified. Sure the holiday show was pretty cheesy, but thats not her fault. I would love to work somewhere like that it would be awsome. JessAJenk, you were in the pirates of the Caribbean movie? So are you an actress? I have never seen the movie but I am very into acting.

Just came across this thread and I'd like to put in my 2 cents! I used to work as a Denver Aquarium mermaid... They really do think of profits first and customers and employees second. And I can DEFINITELY attest to their lack of diversity-- I was the only mermaid of color, and they rejected a friend of mine (who is the MOST passionate inner mermaid I know) because she had a tiny tattoo on her arm. However it was a lot of fun while it lasted, and I'm glad it gave me some experience in mermaiding. But now, I'm glad I'm not working there anymore. I'll be entrepreneuring from now on.

Thank you for sharing your stories about you experiences working there JessAJenk and SirenaSisters!

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by JessAJenk View Post
    I personally come from a 16+ year synchronized swimming career, I was a mermaid in the last Pirates of the Caribbean movie and I've stayed fit by swimming. All of this is what landed me the job at the aquarium. You must be beyond comfortable in 16 feet water, be in good shape, have great stamina, be able to hold your breath for up to a minute, not flinch at animals swimming around you and do all of this while looking graceful and natural in the 70 degree water. Many people believe all we need to do is look pretty but there's so much more behind it.
    ^^This goes for all mermaid shows, I believe
    It's a lot of work to make it look effortless, like so many things!

Did your collegues have some background in synchro swimming too?

I ask because I run a little merwaterballet group- sadly no aquariums, no mer-shows of any kind, and next to no demand for mermaids in this country, boo!-,
    and I try to make some nice and intriguing choreographies that still are not too difficult to perform,
    but in the pro-mermaid shows, all I see is some swimming to and fro, lots of waving and blow-kissing, and the occasional flip.
    From an artistic viewpoint that's a bit disappointing.

But yeah, I guess synchro is not for everyone.
    When I was looking for members, I had precious little volunteers.
    Seems the majority of mers prefer smiling into a camera, and rather avoid getting into deeper waters

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarian View Post
    Oh man. That's not cool!

Being part of this community to me means that there is vast acceptance for who we are. That's part of why we are here. Regardless of whether a job is preformance related, I really on't like companies or organizations that discriminate. I'm sorry you both were turned away by these people.

I also didn't like the fact that in an interview they claimed to be the only Aquarium in the country so far to be doing something like a mermaid show (we all know that's know that's not true).

@NikkiLee It's also a little extra salt in the wound that the whole mertailor thing that dominoed was kind of set up by you. I'm sorry.

This just reminded me of something I came across a while ago...

M.A.S.O. Stands for Mermaids Against Stereotyping and Objectification. haha. I think that this really represents this community because everyone here looks different, both guys and girls. We are all different ages, heights, we come from all over the world, we speak different languages, but we come here and share this board together. Just saying I'm glad to be here I guess. And it really sucks when there is any kind of job discrimination.
    I LOVE this! Who is the artist?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquatarian View Post
    I kinda agree. They aren't even holding their breath for that long, only 5-7 at a time. I think part of it is people in Colorado aren't really accustom to seeing mermaids or anything ocean related so expectations are kind of low. haha.

Except for that guy in the holiday vid, lol, "they do a lot of waving..."

Yes. Yes they do.
    It might be hard to hold your breath for long in Denver...having grown up at sea level and visited Denver (The Mile High City), I know it was hard to just breathe at all! I don't smoke anymore, but at the time, I did and a cigarette would last half an hour because there is so little oxygen!

Also...Can I post that MOSA graphic on my Facebook?

Hey Danielle,

I just saw this and felt I needed to respond. Although yes, Landry's is very "corporate" I must say I wouldn't still be working there if they were so horrible to their employees...now that I'm coming up on my 2 year anniversary with the company. Not to mention, you were not and have never been the only mermaid of color! The original mermaid that started the whole thing at Landry's was of color and one of our main girls now is of color. Unfortunately, yes the tattoo thing is an issue but I hope you can understand why they have a no-show policy as this is a show for children. If it can be covered by a tail, sash or top then it's never been a problem. I'm sorry it didn't work out and good luck on your mermaiding future!

Quote Originally Posted by The Young Mermaid View Post
    I actually just went to the Denver aquarim. But sadly I didn't get to see the mermaid show. I have to say I think alot of people on this thread are jumping to conclusions. It sounds to me like JessAJenk is very qualified. Sure the holiday show was pretty cheesy, but thats not her fault. I would love to work somewhere like that it would be awsome. JessAJenk, you were in the pirates of the Caribbean movie? So are you an actress? I have never seen the movie but I am very into acting.
    You'll have to come back and check out the show! Yes, the holiday show is always a little cheesy, but the kids love it! haha! If you can find a place that has shows you should absolutely try-out. Maybe you can start a show at your local aquarium? It's so much fun and seeing the looks on the children's faces makes the cold water and stinging eyes so worth it. Yes, I was a mermaid in the POTC movie, On Stranger Tides although I'm not an actress. My synchronized swimming background landed me the role. They needed 10 girls that were extremely comfortable in the water to make it look effortless for doubling, stunts and a tracking our body movements for CGI effects. Such an experience!

@JessAJenk I was just watching the behind the scenes for POTC the other day and was surprised how many people were actually the mermaids! Synchro swimmers, actresses for the up close shots and body doubles for actual jumping/ stunts! What a cool experience for you!
    Mermaid at
    <3
    (heart)

um since someone necro posted and this is now active, the Denver mers def have some variety in their mers since this was posted.

Hiiiiiiiii everyone, that was me!

I am looking for more information about the Denver Aquarium mermaids because they are oddly tight-lipped about it. I sent the aquarium a message saying that I assume they want people to apply in person because they are looking for a certain body type and look. Needless to say, I didn't get a response. I would like to see a plus sized mermaid though! And mermaids that wear makeup and are more friendly and magical. I would like to be that person!

Most aquariums are tight lipped about mermaids and don't actively seek out new performers. The occasional time that they do, it's usually advertised for auditions.