Thread: How to attach Silicone to Neoprene?

Senior Member Pod of The South

How to attach Silicone to Neoprene?

So I have run into a problem on a tail project I was trying to plan out. This would be a hybrid tail. I want to scale the body of the tail in sequins (So the body of the tail will be made of neoprene) but then I want to cast the fluke in silicone. Does anyone know how I could join these two? I heard that the rubber in neoprene inhibits the curing of silicone (so unless I can find a certain type that works, bonding directly with more silicone wont work), I highly doubt you could sew silicone (pretty sure I am correct in assuming this would rip very easily), so I am at a loss. How would I even go about joining the two? I am pretty sure that the H2O tails have silicone flukes with scaled neoprene bodies though, so I am assuming there is some way to make it work?
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

I added neoprene to the top of my silicone tail using GE silicone 1. Keep in mind that you wont be able to use dragonskin in those areas afterwards. I added it in august and it's been holding up fine!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    Silpoxy I heard sticks most things with silicone, always test before.
    When Fantasy is Reality

Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy

For anyone curious or interested, I contacted Smooth-on and asked if Dragonskin silicone would stick to neoprene, and they said that, while they do not know for sure, they have tested it with many fabrics and rubbers. They recommended a test first (which I was going to do anyway).
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    it seems to be a tail maker secret that very few have actually figured out.

When I called foam order they suggested bare neoprene because they said that a lot of tail makers who source from them say the silicone sticks better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Junior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Kim's Avatar
    Hello Mermaid Momo,
    I am working and experimenting with neoprene. What is bare neoprene? Just did not understand what bare refers to?
    Mermaid Kim
    aka Mermaid Flower "duh I'm a Floral Designer"
    aka MerFlower "love the for Short Version"
    aka Mom every day 24/7 "Love my Family" and my MerFamily too!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kim View Post
    Hello Mermaid Momo,
    I am working and experimenting with neoprene. What is bare neoprene? Just did not understand what bare refers to?
    Bare neoprene is neoprene without the lycra on it, so it's just the bare rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Momo View Post
    Bare neoprene is neoprene without the lycra on it, so it's just the bare rubber.
    I've never really worked with silicone, but doesn't contact with rubber inhibit the silicone curing?

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Pearl View Post
    I've never really worked with silicone, but doesn't contact with rubber inhibit the silicone curing?
    It does, but in this case you would be using Sil-poxy to bond bare neoprene and already cured silicone. So no inhibition would occur (in theory anyway)
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

I've been thinking of doing something like this but I want my fluke to be slightly translucent, and want to use one of Pearlie's monofins, so I would be using a different fabric for the fluke and extra fins. Good to know research is being done about the neoprene rubber issue though
    Owner/Operator behind Tails & Portholes
    Store Blog
    - Personal Blog - Twitter - Instagram - Store Facebook
    This treasure cums for YOUR booty

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by RisingMermaid View Post
    It does, but in this case you would be using Sil-poxy to bond bare neoprene and already cured silicone. So no inhibition would occur (in theory anyway)
    The Sil-Poxy may not cure, and/or it may not adhere to the neoprene.

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Do the testy test

Follow Scarlet Checkers On Twitter Add Scarlet Checkers on Facebook
    Visit Scarlet Checkers's Youtube Channel
    Did you ever do the test? I'm really curious to know how it would turn out.

Junior Member Euro Pod
    Add MermaidLana on Facebook Add MermaidLana on Google+
    Follow MermaidLana on Tumblr Visit MermaidLana's Youtube Channel
    I asked Mermaid Kariel, since she also does this with her tails. She said she used Silpoxy. It works really good.

I recently tested Dragonskin 30 on neoprene; I used it to stick some old scale samples made from Dragonskin 10 to nylon covered, loop covered (for Velcro), and 'raw' neoprene samples. Not a single one stuck, although it seemed to cure a little.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Trident True's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deepblue View Post
    I recently tested Dragonskin 30 on neoprene; I used it to stick some old scale samples made from Dragonskin 10 to nylon covered, loop covered (for Velcro), and 'raw' neoprene samples. Not a single one stuck, although it seemed to cure a little.

a few things come to mind. how old where your silicone scales? might have been past their green period ( i think that's the right terminology) which silicone has trouble or won't stick to it at all. Or your ratios, were they correct? as you mentioned it seemed to cure a little which tells me it could've been a ratio thing.

Silicone Caulking may work. the Aquarium stuff that usually sticks to most things.

Can someone please get me back to the ocean before I suffocate... I need the water......

Moderator Pod of Cali Mermaid Wesley's Avatar

Visit Mermaid Wesley's Youtube Channel
    Dragonskin will not cure in contact with neoprene. It is an inhibitor.

Exactly~ I wanted to test it since people are always asking, so I could share the results The scales were fine, they stick with silicone to silicone. But none of the neoprene coatings made a bit of difference in my tests.