Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The iBubble camera

The iBubble camera

Have you seen the new iBubble camera? It is autonomous (yuss you read right) underwater camera designed for scuba and free divers. Hands free device which will follow you around underwater and document your dive.

I mean.. how freaking cool is that!

There is also contest (link below) where you have chances to win this epic device. I would LOVE to get one or even better,win one lol
    http://ibubble.camera/contest/
    Last edited by Mermaid Riia; 01-30-2016 at 11:42 AM.
    Mermaid Riia
    (Merenneito Riia)

Finland's first mermaid entertainer

www.merenneitoriia.fi

user formerly known as Riiarin

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    yeah that's kind of amazing.

Whoa! That is so cool!
    Find me on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM, and my WEBSITE
    Formerly known as Madison Juliette

Awesome!

How AMAZING would that be for underwater scenes in making films and swim videos.... ahhhhhhhhh!!

{gif credit}
    Seaside Fairytales
    Etsy | Instagram | Facebook | Youtube

That's pretty neat! Now all they need to do is have designs as fish, or squid so mermaids can have a little fish buddy and it not look like a camera in the water

That's awesome It's basically the lily drone for underwater

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I notice its a cartoon. That means it does not actually exist.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Actually it does. This is an old video. Pics and vids on YouTube. Twitter. And fb

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

It is only in prototype form so far by the looks of it. There is a competition on their website to win the first one produced.

I checked the ibubble channel on youtube: No images of working hardware. No images of any hardware at all. Nor do any show up on a Google image search. Do you have a link?
    The general life cycle of these things:
    First you see drawings and cartoons. That means there is no hardware.
    Next you see hardware: Something that looks like a vehicle. But if you could look inside, you would see there is nothing in it.
    Next, you see working hardware, but if watch closely, you see that it is in some way faked. Like there is a power wire, or a person controlling it, or is moves about, and later you see the images it takes, but they are actually images taken by a person, to show what the vehicle could have taken.
    Finally, you get to see operational hardware.
    A long time later, a different version of that hardware makes it to market.

At any point in this process, the entire thing could go Poof! I've seen this process so many times, it's amazing. Why does this happen? Mainly because its hard to make a UUV (Unmanned Underwater Vehicle), and most developers do not get that. It takes longer than you expect, and takes more money than you expect.

In the case of this product, it does look like a great idea, and not that hard, so I expect they can do it. They just need time and money. But, as the cartoon was uploaded to youtube three weeks ago, I expect little in the way of hardware exists.
    Again: Link to actual hardware?

Let the storm rage on!

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    while we are looking at underwater options.. OpenROV

(Formerly known as Æolius)

Let the storm rage on!

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    the Lily drone can dip down into the water:

(Formerly known as Æolius)

Nice they at least have a shell. Is there anything in it other than the camera?
    The motors look like off the self hobby motors ( I have one that looks just like them sitting on my desk), and those are not water proof. Well, they will run for a short time, until the magnets or bearings corrode.
    My guess they are at least a year away from having this actually exist as a product, most likely two. I don't see any roadblocks stopping that from happening, just a lot of work.

Once my company was doing some work with Deep ocean Engineering. They showed me a photo of a UUV being lowered into the water, and told me the story behind it. They were about to go to an industry show, and only had drawings of their new vehicle. Everyone there would know that if you only had drawings, you had no hardware. So, a week before the show, they threw together a mock-up, put in some lights, and took the picture. Result: They could drum up interest in selling the vehicle, even though they actually had nothing at all.

To me, ibubble looks like they are doing the same thing. Deep Ocean Engineering did eventually build and sell their vehicle, and ibubble could do so as well.
    Last edited by Merman Storm; 01-31-2016 at 12:52 AM.

Let the storm rage on!

You know like so much of your questions are actually answered if you read through their website and social media.... They even have a timeline that shows everything they've done so far.....

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid_Sarina's Avatar

Follow Mermaid_Sarina on Tumblr
    This camera looks amazing! It'd be so cool to use!
    Sarina Dreamtide

Hello everyone,

Thanks for looking into our product! You're right, we're in the prototyping phase at the moment. Our Kickstarter starts in early March. Beta version will be tested in the fall and the actual product will be shipped early 2017. We have quite a lot of experience working like this. We've launched Hexo+ in 2014, which was delivered to backers on time and is now selling well. iBubble already has investors and a dedicated team.
    So this is happening, be sure of it! The more backers on KS, the faster in your hands, though You can register on our website to be alerted ahead of everybody of the KS launch.

OpenROV is a cool project but it's wired and doesn't do as much as iBubble: we dive to 70m and enable you to direct your own movie, with several pre-set filming angles. Imagine a camera that orbits around you as you descent, follow you once at the bottom. If you want to zoom in on a fish, just call iBubble and use it in manual mode. Seen a turtle; but too far to film it? Push a button and iBubble follow the turtle for 25m, then comes back to you.
    Another important point: noise. iBubble produces less sound than a scubadiver.

So keep an eye on us, and back us up on Kickstarter!

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mer-Crazy's Avatar

Visit Mer-Crazy's Youtube Channel
    Any estimate on a retail price? Haha