Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The First Ever (soon to be) Published Study on Mermaid Tail Swimming and Tails

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Well, there have actually been swimsuits with a shark-skin-like pattern embossed. They apparently worked so well that they were banned in competitive swimming some years ago :P .
    EDIT: Found the swimsuit. The one getting the most media attention was, as I recall, the LZR from Speedo, which led to some FINA rule changes in 2010.
    Even if Wikipedia is no prime source, here is the article to that suit: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LZR_Racer
    Started quite a hype in bionics/biomimikry back then :P

Sent from my phonebrick using Tapatalk.
    Last edited by MermanOliver; 02-08-2016 at 03:15 PM.

Good thing Mermaids aren't competitive then! Or are they? Who's down for the Mermaid Olympics?!
    Lauren Chu ~ Mermaid Soluna
    HamptonsMermaid.com @HamptonsMermaid
    Miss Mermaid USA 2016/17, Miss Mermaid International 2016/17 2nd Runner Up

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    One small question: Why did they measure your overall length? Are they correlating the length to the fluke parameters?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    Understood. Is it OK if you, as a participant, tell us if you did a coast-down test?
    everything for coast down test I can find online says it's a test for cars. Haha so I am going to say no? I even googled it with key phrases like swimming, and nope. Still cars.

Quote Originally Posted by MermanOliver View Post
    One small question: Why did they measure your overall length? Are they correlating the length to the fluke parameters?
    it is part of a formula I think the video will answer some more questions when you see things being done in context (still working on it)

but I really can't answer too many specifics at this point. This was only 1 day of gathering data. We have a lot more ahead of us.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    You're right that it is a test developed for cars, as it is an easy way to get the drag of a car. It also lets you distinguish between rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag. Rolling resistance dominates at low speeds, and aerodynamic drag at high speeds. Measuring the deceleration rate at all speeds lets you find each term.
    There are very few vehicles for which a coast down test would work. You cannot use it for aircraft, as it would be very difficult to keep the altitude constant. It could be used with blimps and submarines, but I've never heard anyone doing so.
    A swimming person may actually be one of the few other "vehicles" that a coast down test would would work for. It would let you tell the difference between a tail that is poor at delivering thrust, but has low drag vs one that makes good thrust, but has high drag. It would help answer the question "why am I going slow, and what should I do to go faster?"
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    You're right that it is a test developed for cars, as it is an easy way to get the drag of a car. It also lets you distinguish between rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag. Rolling resistance dominates at low speeds, and aerodynamic drag at high speeds. Measuring the deceleration rate at all speeds lets you find each term.
    There are very few vehicles for which a coast down test would work. You cannot use it for aircraft, as it would be very difficult to keep the altitude constant. It could be used with blimps and submarines, but I've never heard anyone doing so.
    A swimming person may actually be one of the few other "vehicles" that a coast down test would would work for. It would let you tell the difference between a tail that is poor at delivering thrust, but has low drag vs one that makes good thrust, but has high drag. It would help answer the question "why am I going slow, and what should I do to go faster?"
    from all my googling it doesnt seem that this is in any way a standard for how they test drag underwater. So I will say no, we did not do testing in that manner, however we are testing drag with people who specialize in hydrodynamics. Again, only 1 day of testing. So we have not even come close to covering it all.

It's not a standard way of testing drag. But as long as there were swimmers with speed sensors, it would be a way to try it. You could learn something.
    My guess is you will be doing tow testing, which is the standard for hydrodynamics, and can get good results.

Let the storm rage on!

But as long as there were swimmers with speed sensors, it would be a way to try it. You could learn something.
    Testing a new test that's not used that way, is a study all it's own. As I said, we're participants not the ones deciding the parameters of the study. I'll leave all that to the experts. I trust their methods and expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by HamptonsMermaid View Post
    wetsuits are usually designed to be super smooth and floaty like a seal. But a new study tested over 100 prototypes and found that certain embossed patterns of neoprene are actually better than flat.

As you can see, some of these are almost scale like, and they probably are inspired a lot by nature who always figures out the most efficient way! But maybe one could design a mermaid scale pattern that also decreases water resistance (though the design might have to be really tiny to work, which wouldn't be as aesthetically pleasing as big scales, and I don't know about the friction difference between neoprene and silicone...but food for thought!)

Attachment 35609
    Yes, it's true that bumpiness can actually enable things to move faster through a fluid (water or air) than a smooth surface.

Science geekiness follows here:

Dimples or raised textures can improve hydrodaynamics, or aerodynamics, by breaking up the boundary layer (the thin layer of fluid against the solid surface of the object) so that instead of flow being laminar (smooth) it becomes turbulent. A turbulent boundary layer allows water displaced by movement through the fluid to travel further around the object before it breaks away from the surface and forms a wake. This means that less energy is used in total moving through the fluid.

Perhaps the best known example of this phenomenon is golf balls. The little dimples on golf balls are there for exactly the purpose described above, and smooth golf balls travel nowhere near as far when hit with the same force. This video compares dimpled and smooth golf balls

If you watched the last winter Olympics, you might have noticed that many of the speed skating suits had either raised lines called riblets, or patterns of raised dots printed onto various areas, especially the hoods. This is for the same reasons of aerodynamics. Here's an article on that

http://fuckyeahfluiddynamics.tumblr....ce-against-the

and for the people who really want to go full geek into the topic, this article has an extensive analysis of the concepts

http://www.biketechreview.com/aerody...yers?showall=1

So yes, dimples or bumps can actually make a suit flow much better through the water or the air, and I find the results you quoted, Hamptons Mermaid, are entirely believable. I and companions have tried the textured neoprenes, but the issue was that they weren't very good neoprene compared to some of the top end brands like Yamamoto, and I found that comfort and fit still count for a lot, especially warmth. Now if only we could talk Yamamoto or Heiwa into making a really good freediving neoprene with texture on the outer surface
    Last edited by AptaMer; 02-15-2016 at 08:54 AM.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I was trying to find a "dimpled" wetsuit for some time (yaaaay speed) but could not find one.
    Apparently, due to the ban by FINA or whatever, they are no longer produced, only the swim shorties.

Reading reviews of said shorties, it seemed like the speed increase was negligible for normal use, it would only be useful for competitions where milliseconds determine the outcome.

Regarding the study, this will be super interesting to read I'm sure.
    I've been collecting data myself for swimming in different monofins, tails, and without for some time now to determine speed differences.
    It will no doubt be enlightening to compare my findings with your data.

Quote Originally Posted by AptaMer View Post
    Now if only we could talk Yamamoto or Heiwa into making a really good freediving neoprene with texture on the outer surface
    Well it just so turns out the article I quoted was straight from Yamamoto's website! My bad for not sourcing (bad scientist! bad!) And it's from back in 2014 so hopefully they have something on the market by now!
    Lauren Chu ~ Mermaid Soluna
    HamptonsMermaid.com @HamptonsMermaid
    Miss Mermaid USA 2016/17, Miss Mermaid International 2016/17 2nd Runner Up

Thanks for the heads-up on Yamamoto, HamptonsMermaid!

Definitely going to find out if someone will source this to make a freediving wetsuit.

Quote Originally Posted by MermanOliver View Post
    Well, there have actually been swimsuits with a shark-skin-like pattern embossed. They apparently worked so well that they were banned in competitive swimming some years ago
    Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    I was trying to find a "dimpled" wetsuit for some time (yaaaay speed) but could not find one.
    Apparently, due to the ban by FINA or whatever, they are no longer produced, only the swim shorties.
    FINA has shut down every innovation in the world of swimming:

• full-body suits designed to reduce muscle ripple,
    • low-permeability suits,
    • suits with patterned surfaces, and
    • they even banned those integrated swim cap/goggles combinations that gave swimmers as high as a 2% drag reduction.

In their fetish for trying to keep the sport "pure" based only on athlete training, they've retarded technological progress that could have been amazing.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I know why I don't give money to people associated with them in order to obtain a "certificate" (paying for a course beforehand for something I can already do).
    Can only hope that they or someone like-minded won't get their paws on mermaiding, then starting to come up with ridiculous regulations as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    I know why I don't give money to people associated with them in order to obtain a "certificate" (paying for a course beforehand for something I can already do).
    Can only hope that they or someone like-minded won't get their paws on mermaiding, then starting to come up with ridiculous regulations as well.
    did you mean for this to be posted in the swim school thread?

Quote Originally Posted by AptaMer View Post
    FINA has shut down every innovation in the world of swimming:

• full-body suits designed to reduce muscle ripple,
    • low-permeability suits,
    • suits with patterned surfaces, and
    • they even banned those integrated swim cap/goggles combinations that gave swimmers as high as a 2% drag reduction.

In their fetish for trying to keep the sport "pure" based only on athlete training, they've retarded technological progress that could have been amazing.
    Its not just swimming, its virtually every racing sport; Cars, aircraft, racing shells, bicycles, sailing, and so on. Having worked with several racing groups, I can understand their reasoning.

First, they they want to get rid of "I win" buttons. That is, someone who shows up with something new that is so good, they are virtually guaranteed a win, thus rendering all the years of effort by every other team irrelevant. If you are on the team with the "I win" button, its great. But most participants are on some other team, and majority rules.
    One way around the "I win" button is to only allow innovations that are known and available to everyone. But then to be competitive, everyone must use the innovation. Result: everyone is on equal footing, just like they were before the innovation was incorporated. But, everyone spent more money. So why allow it at all? Save everyone some money by disallowing it. That's the second main reason: cost savings. Racing is expensive, and teams are always scrounging for money. Anything that can reduce costs is desirable.

The result is just as you said, loss of technological progress. In many ways, a car you buy in a showroom is more advanced than a formula one car. But that is only because there is a big market for cars outside of racing. Swimming is a little different. The average recreational swimmer does not care if they go 2% faster. However, many divers, both recreational and professional, do care for either speed , or distance. That is where technological innovations should be aimed, at the consumer market, not the typical racing market.

There are a few exceptions, such as races sponsored by the human powered vehicle association.
    http://www.whpva.org/hpv.html

Let the storm rage on!

very curious of what temp the water is kept at- and was it previously used for sea lions? why is it empty? they should so keep mermaids in there ..

Quote Originally Posted by Mer Maid Lexi View Post
    very curious of what temp the water is kept at- and was it previously used for sea lions? why is it empty? they should so keep mermaids in there ..
    this is the largest research aquarium in Canada but it is rented, meaning studies can come use it like a research hotel. Nothing is kept there 24/7, it depends on the study. The water is kept at a temp depending on the study. usually about 4 degrees c. they heat it up for mermaids, but in winter it's hard to get it past 18 degrees c as the water comes right from the ocean and is then treated.

They did have a research study in there for seals (behavioural based, nothing that would harm them) and they've had injured animals stay in there for a while too. They had a greenland shark for a while, cuttle fish, lobsters... just depends on the study.

This is fascinating! I'm just curious would the drag you are experiencing from your tail be caused mostly by water getting inside your tail and not draining out quickly enough? Will they be testing that aspect of drag (how quickly water can pass through the tail) as I imagine any insights into improvement in that area could be quite valuable in terms of improving drag performance and thus mer swimming speed.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Member formerly known as leomar